GDT: 2020-21 season game 13 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:00pm 2/11/21

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Vilardi's linemates have been in flux most of the season. When he has the puck, he makes things happen. His linemates need to learn how to play with him and vice versa. The reason why his line is mostly in the defensive zone (besides losing face-offs) is because whichever linemate enters the zone with the puck either dumps it in with no support or loses possession before the rest of the line enters the zone. Vilardi is typically last to enter because he's supporting the puck in the defensive zone while the wingers take off. One thing that Iafallo and Brown do well for Kopitar is enter the zone and NOT turn it over. They maintain possession until Kopi shows up. Frk and Kempe had that going on with Vilardi last season. Hell, I think the Kings should slot Lizotte on Vilardi's wing as he's good at chasing pucks and maintaining possession until help arrives. Kempe can be the designated shooter on that line. Vilardi has a heck of a shot too.

Reactions: tbrown33

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
His skating is one of the reasons I thought Vilardi might make a more effective winger. He has the brain and wingspan for center but the puck support isn't always there since most of the Kings' wingers are speedy nowadays (who would ever have thought we'd say that). Gaps are huge. He might be better playing mostly circle to circle instead of goal line to goal line. Of course, the exercise of him at C is a vital one in either scenario. And not that I'd have anything at all against him doing his Jason Allison thing down the middle, but as you point out, his wingers have to be mindful of it.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Outside the first couple games, any line carter is on is the worst of the game. Coincidence maybe
He scored last night...and Carts still has it
...he needs to play with players that compliment his style...the guy still has speed and touch will emerge again

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Outside the first couple games, any line carter is on is the worst of the game. Coincidence maybe

I like Carter's speed coming back to his game, but he's been a turnover machine. Almost always turns it over after zone entry. He's not interested (and I get it with his injury history) in any physical contact in puck retrieval. That's why the Lizotte and AA line with Carter was only good for quick strike counters on the rush. They could score, but were absolutely brutal in possession, which is odd because Lizotte is actually good at possession. He definitely was last season.

His skating is one of the reasons I thought Vilardi might make a more effective winger. He has the brain and wingspan for center but the puck support isn't always there since most of the Kings' wingers are speedy nowadays (who would ever have thought we'd say that). Gaps are huge. He might be better playing mostly circle to circle instead of goal line to goal line. Of course, the exercise of him at C is a vital one in either scenario. And not that I'd have anything at all against him doing his Jason Allison thing down the middle, but as you point out, his wingers have to be mindful of it.

See above. I think the same thing that's happening to Vilardi is the same with Lizotte. Wingers racing ahead and by the time Lizotte gets there, it's time to defend. I think a line of Kempe, Lizotte and Vilardi would work. Interchange positions for Vilardi and Lizotte, it doesn't really matter. With JAD emerging (and he's been groomed for this) and that line having killer chemistry already, you've got one too many centers unless Lizotte or Vilardi get moved down to 4th line and that's not happening. Lias regularly centering the 4th line makes sense on some level because you invested a 2nd in him and you need to see what he's got. Amadio should be taxi squad bound. Spoiler alert, nobody's going to claim him on waivers.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
He scored last night...and Carts still has it
...he needs to play with players that compliment his style...the guy still has speed and touch will emerge again
He scored on the power play though I think? 5 on 5 he has been below average in both zones. He looks good when given a little space on the rush though.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Make excuses all day, but Vilardi has not looked good for a solid two weeks, no matter who is skating next to him. It's gonna take time, but right now he's not reacting fast enough or grabbing the bull by the horns. I like the fact that TM is keeping him on the second power play, where he can use his skills. At 5 vs. 5, he's being pushed around in all three zones.

Kings need to be patient with him and let him adjust. He'll get better, but right now it's not pretty.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Make excuses all day, but Vilardi has not looked good for a solid two weeks, no matter who is skating next to him. It's gonna take time, but right now he's not reacting fast enough or grabbing the bull by the horns. I like the fact that TM is keeping him on the second power play, where he can use his skills. At 5 vs. 5, he's being pushed around in all three zones.

Kings need to be patient with him and let him adjust. He'll get better, but right now it's not pretty.
Yeah that giveaway was ugly.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Agree with this and I've been one of the Vilardi>Turcotte guys.

He is definitely being pushed around which will eventually have to change since his biggest asset on offense is his vision coupled with puck control in the zone. He gets knocked off the puck--or flat out knocked down--much too easily for a guy built to do his damage from the dots to the back wall. I'm not saying it won't come but he is currently being outmuscled more than you'd like to see.

Still love the kid but I'm not going to ignore that the bad has outweighed the good starting with the win in St. Louis. All part of the process though.

Reactions: lumbergh

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Since the season is a wash would it be a good thing for the Kings to send Vilardi down to the Reighn for a few weeks or a month to get lots of ice time with skilled line mates and get that mojo back? See what all our top prospects look like together before Kaliyev and Byfield head back to Jrs.

At some time one or more of Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi and Kupari will have to get used to the wing position. Might as well put them all together now and start finding out where people look the best.

holy crap do we have a boatload of talent coming.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Good to see the squad shake off the losing streak and run up the score on the way to a win. Taking 3 of 4 points from a fellow cellar dweller is what you want to see if you’re looking for progress.

The best part is seeing the kids be the difference makers. Kings got 6 pts and a +5 out of JAD, Tonka, Bigfoot and Strand last night in 13-18 minutes or so of ice time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good to see the squad shake off the losing streak and run up the score on the way to a win. Taking 3 of 4 points from a fellow cellar dweller is what you want to see if you’re looking for progress.

The best part is seeing the kids be the difference makers. Kings got 6 pts and a +5 out of JAD, Tonka, Bigfoot and Strand last night in 13-18 minutes or so of ice time.

It's really strange isn't it? The other night, the Kings looked worse than they've ever looked.

For long portions of last night they looked legitimately terrifying, finding open space in the slot at will, working the down-low touch pass to the high slot for a one timer more times in one game than I think they have in the last several seasons.

Yeah it's a fellow cellar-dweller but even so, the Cup era Kings were 'just' a possession juggernaut, steamrolling slowly over opponents as the game went on...last night these guys were Lightning-esque in their playmaking.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Vilardi is fine. That 1st game against the sharks he took over in the 3rd and overtime.

The second pp unit never really has a chance to get setup and get in rhythm and his line mates are always changing.

Reactions: HookKing

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
Vilardi looks great some nights meh some others and bad some others. All in all just a player clearly still getting used to the NHL. Not meant to excuse him, consistancy is an important skill after all, but just something to consider

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Since the season is a wash would it be a good thing for the Kings to send Vilardi down to the Reighn for a few weeks or a month to get lots of ice time with skilled line mates and get that mojo back? See what all our top prospects look like together before Kaliyev and Byfield head back to Jrs.

At some time one or more of Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi and Kupari will have to get used to the wing position. Might as well put them all together now and start finding out where people look the best.

holy crap do we have a boatload of talent coming.
He would have to clear waivers.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I'm not worried about Vilardi at all. He's been one of the most talented looking kings player on this roster so far this season with third liners.

Exactly, Vilardi is going to be a very good hockey player. It's all about perspective and patience with this team. They are literally learning under fire and not getting a ton of help from some of the vets on a consistent basis.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He would have to clear waivers.

sorry. Thought he had a few more years before that kicked in.

I'm not worried about Vilardi at all. He's been one of the most talented looking kings player on this roster so far this season with third liners.

Great to hear. Haven’t got to watch many games the last three weeks.

Exactly, Vilardi is going to be a very good hockey player. It's all about perspective and patience with this team. They are literally learning under fire and not getting a ton of help from some of the vets on a consistent basis.

looks like patience will be key. We will soon have a very young roster. I am a huge Vilardi fan and hope he starts burying some chances.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Career GP

Bjornfot - 4
Strand - 4
JAD - 13
Clague - 15
Anderson - 19
Vilardi - 23
Petersen - 27
Grundstrom - 39
Luff - 54
Andersson - 76
Moore - 80

11 guys in the line-up last night with less than a full season under their belts. Each of these guys are going to have rough patches, its just a matter of continuing to get them games so that they're more comfortable by the time we're trying to work Turcotte, Byfield, Kaliyev et. al. into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->