Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

source.gif

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The front office has always been high on JAD and Clague. They were featured prominently at the Turcotte/Bjornfot year Draft Party and other Kings events. Hoven has been pumping both of their tires for years and it's obviously because his sources have been high on the pair.

My main concerns with both of them have been alleviated. I thought Clague might be too small, but he doesn't play small and his years of pro physical development have helped. That 2nd goal was on him for being too aggressive, but that can be corrected. The PMD skills are definitely there at an NHL level. Also a plus that he can play both left and right sides. I believe that Clague was Tobi's partner for much of last season in Ontario.

JAD's speed, tenacity are going to keep him in the league. He's not afraid to mix it up and isn't just a perimeter player. I had some doubts about him early because I felt like the organization needed him to exceed his draft position. That he had to develop into a second liner. But that need isn't there anymore. His ceiling doesn't have to be that high. Third liner with offense is what he looks like and that line of Grundstrom, Moore and JAD puts so much pressure on the other team's puck handlers with not only speed, but some physicality and hitting that they force the opposition into bad decisions and turnovers.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
JAD and Clague fully maximized could really help this team.

Clague is shifty and provide offense, moves the puck out quick.

JAD is that Stoll type of piece.

Good call on the Stoll archetype. Tough to play against and if you're caught napping, will score a goal on you. If he can be anywhere near Stoll (And I'm sure he's been working with him on it) at the dot, that's pretty much your perfect 3rd/4th line center.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Right, but ask any of us two weeks ago and we feel pretty firmly he's in 'never' territory, extremely longshot. He looks better in the NHL than the AHL.

It's all up to him. Like you said though, it's been a couple weeks. Plenty of guys have had a couple good games in their career. If he's a player though, it's like being able to print money. That's where your Cup depth comes from. Those mid to late round picks. The free agents nobody cares about.

And I think it was Purcell, and I'm sure it's been said any number of times, but for some reason his name sticks out, that the NHL is in some ways easier than the AHL. More structured. What with the AHL being either a bunch of kids learning, or vets who aren't that good(relatively), so it's much more chaotic.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Could only listen to the game on Iheart last night. Our radio crew is 100 x better than the TV crew. I actually enjoyed listening and knew exactly what was happening.

sounded like a few of our young pups had great games. Still hard to tell when you can’t see. One name that kept coming up was Wagner in the first 2 periods. Sounded like he was flying.

The Grundstrom line seemed tenacious, seemed to be all over the ice and setting up plays.

the one name I didn’t hear was Vilardi. I didn’t get to hear the third period but I was hoping to hear Villardi involved more. Again I only got to hear the game not see it. Can someone comment on how he has looked the last few games. Is he keeping up, overwhelmed etc?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Strand didn't look out of place in his first 2 games. He's certainly has looked pretty good in his last 2 and him and Maatta has looked good as a pair.
But the Sharks aren't exactly a powerhouse and he wasn't exactly receiving rave reviews in Ontario.
It's extremely small sample size, so I'm hoping it's one of those things where a light just switched on for the guy.
I'm trying to temper my excitement a little but I'd love his size on the bottom pair.
Hope he continues his good play but we'll see what happens when Roy and Walker come back.
And another decision will have to be made for the expansion draft with all these young guys (Clague, Strand, Grundstrom) making good impressions.

Reactions: funky and LAKings88

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Could only listen to the game on Iheart last night. Our radio crew is 100 x better than the TV crew. I actually enjoyed listening and knew exactly what was happening.

sounded like a few of our young pups had great games. Still hard to tell when you can’t see. One name that kept coming up was Wagner in the first 2 periods. Sounded like he was flying.

The Grundstrom line seemed tenacious, seemed to be all over the ice and setting up plays.

the one name I didn’t hear was Vilardi. I didn’t get to hear the third period but I was hoping to hear Villardi involved more. Again I only got to hear the game not see it. Can someone comment on how he has looked the last few games. Is he keeping up, overwhelmed etc?
I didn't think Wagner really stood out. Even on the goal, it was just good timing coming out of the box. He's been better the last couple of games but still not really seeing him use his speed to get chances like he did in previous years.

Vilardi played okay but I do remember at least one shift where he dominated. Just need to see more of that on a consistent basis.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
And another decision will have to be made for the expansion draft with all these young guys (Clague, Strand, Grundstrom) making good impressions.

Indeed. I don't really care for the idea of giving up additional assets just to tell Seattle please don't select player X,Y or Z.

You just need to look back at the Vegas expansion draft and see how those side deals turned out for teams like Anaheim, Columbus, Minnesota and Florida.

If the cost was cheap, say a mid round pick(s), maybe I'd consider it, otherwise here's our list of exposed players, go nuts and pick your guy.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Strand and Clague have been such a good suprise. I love their willingness to hang on to the puck and make a play or crisp passes, not just throwing it to a winger's skates and hoping for the best. I don't think MacDermid will be playing much any time soon the way everyone else is playing. Defensive play hasn't been amazing so far (some far too agressive pinches), but mostly it's been systems failures rather than any one player's mistake, so it should get much better as they play on, similar to last season.

I think we have a logjam of puck-moving defensemen once Walker and Roy come back.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

i love listening to nickson but it's not the easiest thing in the world for me with the current setup. it's a pleasure hearing actual play-by-play instead of chit chat

wagner is one of those guys thats visible but can't seem to put together a bunch of good shifts. maybe that's fine but i think they expect more out of him. grundstrom's line was incredible, so much pressure every shift, JAD seemed to be the missing ingredient for moore/grundstrom. vilardi has these bursts of godliness that get interrupted by multiple shifts of mediocrity. i think he'll put it together though, his hands are too damn good. i think i'd have to watch the game again but it seems like he's running very very short shifts, i'm not sure if that's because they can't keep the puck in or if it's a deployment thing. carter was kinda mediocre last night so that didn't help probably

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
If there was a way to easily sync up the Iheart feed to the TV, I would do it every f***ing time. Faust is such a cheesedick sometimes, drives me crazy.
yeah, i guess it's doable but i can't be bothered. i used to listen to the radio show at my old job when i worked nights, it was pretty sweet

guess i'm getting better at tuning faust out too

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
i love listening to nickson but it's not the easiest thing in the world for me with the current setup. it's a pleasure hearing actual play-by-play instead of chit chat

wagner is one of those guys thats visible but can't seem to put together a bunch of good shifts. maybe that's fine but i think they expect more out of him. grundstrom's line was incredible, so much pressure every shift, JAD seemed to be the missing ingredient for moore/grundstrom. vilardi has these bursts of godliness that get interrupted by multiple shifts of mediocrity. i think he'll put it together though, his hands are too damn good. i think i'd have to watch the game again but it seems like he's running very very short shifts, i'm not sure if that's because they can't keep the puck in or if it's a deployment thing. carter was kinda mediocre last night so that didn't help probably
It’s the result of the amount of hockey he has missed. His conditioning has improved but the are taking care with the amount of ice time he gets and the speed at which his role grows. He is definitely, in terms of talent, the 2C but he’s not currently getting the minutes he will eventually see. It doesn’t help that they don’t yet have the right wingers for him but it’ll come, as you say his hands are great and his IQ is top drawer.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles

That happened right before a commercial break. Pet peeve of mine that if something amazing happens before a commercial break, FSW will not show a replay because they have to go to commercial and always have some stupid bit coming out of commercial (Patrick O Neal or the blonde lady). It's like their schedule is more important then the game.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
For a guy that's been known as a disher I can't believe Vilardi only has 1 assist so far. Seems crazy, but so far Kempe's the only winger with any sort of jump to his game that Vilardi has played with. Though they were probably the least effective line last night. I noticed they were almost always in the defensive zone while that line was on the ice. Carter scored, but he seems to just be going through the motions. Curious what the lines will look like once AA and Lizotte come back. Hopefully Vilardi keeps his 2nd line duties and not Lizotte.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->