GDT: 2020-21 season Game 12 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:00pm 2/9/21

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I may have missed it, but were we shitting on Doughty for that change on the first goal? Thats just disgraceful.

Reactions: Schmooley

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Overall I'm impressed with Clague, way more than I thought I would be. He's getting more confident and is starting to show flashes of what we hoped for. Strand too, he looks fairly comfortable for not being in the NHL for long.

I'm completely over Wagner. Amadio I can live with because overall he does fine (tan crayon #2). He should be shuttled in and out however. I know Kupari is a different type of player, but eventually I hope he (or even Fagemo) get a look to see if they can show positives like Strand and Clague have so far.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Doughty was pinned in deep for a loooong shift. Kopitar had a chance to clear, but went backwards to try and keep possession- he failed. Then when two Sharks changed, including the man Doughty had been cycling with in coverage, he went off.

Not Doughty's fault Anderson misread the play, got cleanly beat to a 50/50 loose puck and made absolutely no impact on the pass to the slot, where Kempe just got lazily beat from the boards to the top of the crease.

You have to trust your teammates to handle their business. If Doughty doesn't change there he is looking at a potential three minute shift in his own zone with sustained pressure. Its not like he left the crease unguarded, he was out at the top of the circles and his man went for a change. Nothing he could have done there would have changed the result.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Overall I'm impressed with Clague, way more than I thought I would be. He's getting more confident and is starting to show flashes of what we hoped for. Strand too, he looks fairly comfortable for not being in the NHL for long.

I'm completely over Wagner. Amadio I can live with because overall he does fine (tan crayon #2). He should be shuttled in and out however. I know Kupari is a different type of player, but eventually I hope he (or even Fagemo) get a look to see if they can show positives like Strand and Clague have so far.

Clague has played really well over the past couple of weeks.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Doughty was pinned in deep for a loooong shift. Kopitar had a chance to clear, but went backwards to try and keep possession- he failed. Then when two Sharks changed, including the man Doughty had been cycling with in coverage, he went off.

Not Doughty's fault Anderson misread the play, got cleanly beat to a 50/50 loose puck and made absolutely no impact on the pass to the slot, where Kempe just got lazily beat from the boards to the top of the crease.

You have to trust your teammates to handle their business. If Doughty doesn't change there he is looking at a potential three minute shift in his own zone with sustained pressure. Its not like he left the crease unguarded, he was out at the top of the circles and his man went for a change. Nothing he could have done there would have changed the result.
You learn to never change when the puck is in your zone at a very young age. Doesnt matter how long a shift is. Its not only his fault as you stated but it was a bad play. If macd did that everyone would be on his case that hes the worst. Doughty made a bad play. Big deal. He actually had a chance to get it out and took it back down low if i remember correctly. Either way he had a good game otherwise and has been good this year. But doughty is not off limits for criticism

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
You learn to never change when the puck is in your zone at a very young age. Doesnt matter how long a shift is. Its not only his fault as you stated but it was a bad play. If macd did that everyone would be on his case that hes the worst. Doughty made a bad play. Big deal. He actually had a chance to get it out and took it back down low if i remember correctly. Either way he had a good game otherwise and has been good this year. But doughty is not off limits for criticism

Is this going to be like shooting at an empty net and risk an icing? ie....will stats show that it’s better to change after an extended shift than to sit in your zone until the puck is cleared?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I can see both sides here, but at worst it's a bad change, nothing more.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Yup. Perfect summary. It's not Doughty's fault but you don't skate out when the puck is hemmed in your zone.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Clague's been fantastic. Him and Anderson had nearly 24 minutes and most of them were relatively 'unremarkable' in a good way.

I do think--probably due to role, because Anderson has been playing Doughty's minutes--Clague looks incredibly confident right now. Anderson less so, but both guys are impressive relative to expectations.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yup. Perfect summary. It's not Doughty's fault but you don't skate out when the puck is hemmed in your zone.

I think @bland 's summary is really important though. There was a thought process there. It ended up being a bad judgment call but it's easy to see why he did it. The alternative was get stuck out there, lose-lose. It was just unfortunate that everything else went catastrophic

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Is this going to be like shooting at an empty net and risk an icing? ie....will stats show that it’s better to change after an extended shift than to sit in your zone until the puck is cleared?
I dont know which is worse im not a numbers guy. If he stayed on they get scored on probably anyway. There was a lot wrong with that first shift before he left the ice so its not all on him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I dont know which is worse im not a numbers guy. If he stayed on they get scored on probably anyway. There was a lot wrong with that first shift before he left the ice so its not all on him.

I'm sure it would have been a goal anyway, and it wouldn't have been his fault, either.

The difference is the message isn't sent that it's okay to bail out on your team when you're tired. Next time, leaving because you're tired may be the skater's fault.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Not only that, but you see him moving to change when one of the Kings makes a clearing attempt. It looked like he thought it got last the blue line so he could get off. If he had stopped and turned around, he'd still be out of the play anyway. Once he committed to the change, there was nothing he could do.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Clague's been fantastic. Him and Anderson had nearly 24 minutes and most of them were relatively 'unremarkable' in a good way.

I do think--probably due to role, because Anderson has been playing Doughty's minutes--Clague looks incredibly confident right now. Anderson less so, but both guys are impressive relative to expectations.

Very much agreed, though Anderson's play is a tiny bit concerning to me this season. Understandably, he's a 21 year old rookie with less than 20 games of NHL experience playing on one of the worst teams in the NHL as a top-pairing d-man, but his lack of foot speed is pretty noticeable; either that or he needs to adjust to the pace of the game. And he seems to fall down a lot xD.

It's odd because in his short stint last season, he was really, really good.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

That exact same play happens in every game, every night. The cameras never catch it because its away from the puck, so nobody ever notices. I played defense for 20+ years on ice, roller and foot, it is a regular occurence. Players don't just quit on plays, there is always talk going on. Doughty never shuts up, no doubt at all in my mind that he is already calling it out and not getting any wave offs from the bench, which most definitely happens from both coaches and players if they see danger developing that the player cannot see behind him. Things are never as nondescript in real life as they appear on TV.

The only reason this is a thing is because it was Doughty and folks love to tear into him at every chance. Doughty has made himself into a polarizing figure, deservedly so, and he won't get the benefit of many doubts from internet weasels.

The original post on the main board also includes a clip of an absolutely indefensible change he made against the Pens a few years ago. That was a horrible decision as he left the crease alone. Last night he just trailed his check on the cycle all the way until the Shark went off on his own change before he made his. It had zero impact on the goal. If Anderson or Kempe make their plays, nobody would notice or care.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Very much agreed, though Anderson's play is a tiny bit concerning to me this season. Understandably, he's a 21 year old rookie with less than 20 games of NHL experience playing on one of the worst teams in the NHL as a top-pairing d-man, but his lack of foot speed is pretty noticeable; either that or he needs to adjust to the pace of the game. And he seems to fall down a lot xD.

It's odd because in his short stint last season, he was really, really good.

Muzzin and Martinez were 24 in their first full-ish seasons with LA and we talked a lot of shit about them when they came up. It's frankly pretty amazing that we haven't given up ten goals a game this year given the roster we're icing. I think Anderson and Clague might be pretty good hockey players and I think Clague is going to force Blake and Luc go 8/1 at the expansion draft.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Okay wait a second, maybe I was watching it on too small of a screen but that first goal in my opinion was on Kopitar. He had a chance to carry it out of the zone at the blue line and then curled back in and passed it back to the defenseman. He could have simply flipped it up the boards but didn't. That was the start of them being pinned in the zone. I didn't have the benefit of watching a replay of it. So maybe I was completely wrong. But I was texting a friend of mine who was also watching the game and she said the same thing. Maybe I'm nuts. It wouldn't be the first time.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Okay wait a second, maybe I was watching it on too small of a screen but that first goal in my opinion was on Kopitar. He had a chance to carry it out of the zone at the blue line and then curled back in and passed it back to the defenseman. He could have simply flipped it up the boards but didn't. That was the start of them being pinned in the zone. I didn't have the benefit of watching a replay of it. So maybe I was completely wrong. But I was texting a friend of mine who was also watching the game and she said the same thing. Maybe I'm nuts. It wouldn't be the first time.
100% how i feel about it, think i said it in the gdt. that was an incredibly selfish lazy play by kopitar and he's somehow escaped criticism for this

literally just went "eh you guys figure it out" and sat down

Reactions: cyclones22

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
100% how i feel about it, think i said it in the gdt. that was an incredibly selfish lazy play by kopitar and he's somehow escaped criticism for this

literally just went "eh you guys figure it out" and sat down

That's the exact way I described it to my friend. Selfish. The first thing that came out of my mouth was you better score a goal to make up for this. Thank goodness he did. My ire left me after he scored on that semi break.

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad