GDT: 2020-21 season Game 12 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:00pm 2/9/21

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm interested in seeing this team once (or if) Lizotte, Frk, and Athanasiou come back.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Carter
Athanasiou - JAD - Frk
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Moore

I thought a few guys had really good games tonight. Vilardi of course, I'll talk him up in a minute, but also JAD, Brown, and Kopitar.

If we see Vilardi gaining confidence and taking over shifts in 25-50% of the games he plays this year, that will be a really encouraging sign. He needs better linemates around him right now (and Kempe and Carter are a good place to start), but with more experience and conditioning he might just be the guy on his line. You could tell he was pretty gassed in overtime, and 18:39 is probably the most minutes he's ever played in the NHL.

I think it's time to move Kopitar to fourth in the shootout lineup, by the way. Vilardi looked great, I'd love to see what some of the other guys can do, too.

This season is already basically a wash, but we might be decent next season. I'm excited to see how guys like Clague and Anderson perform when Roy and Walker come back and the pressure isn't quite so high on them. I think Clague looks pretty good on the offensive side but needs help defensively, while Anderson needs to get stronger across the board. Maatta, MacDermid, and Alt shouldn't even be on an NHL roster. Strand might be a decent bottom-pairing option one day, who knows. He hasn't been bad.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I'm interested in seeing this team once (or if) Lizotte, Frk, and Athanasiou come back.

Kempe - Vilardi - Carter
Athanasiou - JAD - Frk
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Moore

I thought a few guys had really good games tonight. Vilardi of course, I'll talk him up in a minute, but also JAD, Brown, and Kopitar.

If we see Vilardi gaining confidence and taking over shifts in 25-50% of the games he plays this year, that will be a really encouraging sign. He needs better linemates around him right now (and Kempe and Carter are a good place to start), but with more experience and conditioning he might just be the guy on his line. You could tell he was pretty gassed in overtime, and 18:39 is probably the most minutes he's ever played in the NHL.

I think it's time to move Kopitar to fourth in the shootout lineup, by the way. Vilardi looked great, I'd love to see what some of the other guys can do, too.

This season is already basically a wash, but we might be decent next season. I'm excited to see how guys like Clague and Anderson perform when Roy and Walker come back and the pressure isn't quite so high on them. I think Clague looks pretty good on the offensive side but needs help defensively, while Anderson needs to get stronger across the board. Maatta, MacDermid, and Alt shouldn't even be on an NHL roster. Strand might be a decent bottom-pairing option one day, who knows. He hasn't been bad.

Unfortunately Todd is coaching this team and this is more like it, even with a full healthy line-up. :facepalm:

Wagner-Amadios- Carter
Athanasiou- Lizotte- Moore
Kempe- Vilardi - Frk

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Crazy stat of the night: Dustin Brown ranks in the top 20 in NHL goal scoring with 6 goals, and is tied for 1st in power play goals with 5.

For a player who can barely handle the puck, he also find himself in the right spot. Just shows how effective he can be when he's not mishandling the puck and drives to the net, as we witnessed with both of his goals tonight.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Depending on if Doughty is out for a long period of time I doubt Blake can do much. Unless there’s some Dman he can get for cheap they’ll just have to grin and bare it.

As for TMs future I understand the loses and slow stats are frustrating but this team is insanely inexperienced and if Doughty is down it’s just going to become even more inexperienced. I think if it continues into next season then he’ll be on the hot seat.

Kopitar and Brown are plugging along but as you can see from the kids, they look amazing one game and non existent the next. It’ll be better hopefully once AA and Lizotte come back and hope Frk comes back soon. Then everybody will be slotted properly.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Catch 22 now, They clearly don't want to burn a year off Bjornfots ELC, but if they don't play him now they play a whole lineup of 5th and 6th D men. But season is clearly gone, burn his 5 games now and pray that Roy is back before you send him back to Ontario for the rest of the season.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Crazy stat of the night: Dustin Brown ranks in the top 20 in NHL goal scoring with 6 goals, and is tied for 1st in power play goals with 5.

For a player who can barely handle the puck, he also find himself in the right spot. Just shows how effective he can be when he's not mishandling the puck and drives to the net, as we witnessed with both of his goals tonight.
Brown's kinda like a drunken master out there.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I missed the game. Did vilardi have a good game?
He had a ... game. His line was on the ice for both first period goals against, and pretty much hemmed in as a group. On the plus side, he was noticeable this game with the puck on his stick. Last few games he's been largely invisible. Vilardi hasn't been obviously bad, but he hasn't quite figured out the 200 foot game he needs to be more successful.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
i'll eat this if i'm wrong, but i'm gonna be pretty f***in pissed off if i learn that doughty just had a soft tissue ouchie he couldn't play though

i know there ain't a lot there above the glove and impacts onto the forearm hurt but i don't think that shot was breaking an arm

Of his draft class the number of games played Doughty #1

Number of regular season games missed in his career, including any suspensions, 1-0-6-5-1-4-0-0-0-0-0-3

Number of playoff games missed, 1 due to a suspension.

I would say he's been one of the most resilient players

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
This was the first game that Vilardi was heavily relied on and he responded. TM better play him the 18 mins like he got tonight and not the 12-13 that he has on most nights. The other night Wagner had more ice time than Gabe. Complete horse****!!!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Also important to note that Vilardi's line looked considerably improved once McLellan swapped Andersson for Carter. It was a noticeable net positive for Kempe, Vilardi, and Carter. Please, Todd, keep that line together. It almost passes for a real second line.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site

That's a fact. Brown can no longer pass, receive a pass, or skate with the puck. His hockey IQ has never been great, but I hope he keeps going to the net. Just go to the net big boy, good things will happen.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I think having Doughty out for a few games might be a good thing. Maybe the team regroups and finally plays team defense. Really want to see more of Strand. He might be the next Walker.

About Amadio, Wagner...need to understand we need to play them now so we can get something in return. Once AA nad Lizotte come out of C-19 protocol they will be in the lineup.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think having Doughty out for a few games might be a good thing. Maybe the team regroups and finally plays team defense. Really want to see more of Strand. He might be the next Walker.

About Amadio, Wagner...need to understand we need to play them now so we can get something in return. Once AA nad Lizotte come out of C-19 protocol they will be in the lineup.

Regarding defenders... at this point, I guess I am good with any D who doesn't create turnovers or gets beat thus leading to odd man rushes. In this regard, Strand has looked amazing.

:sarcasm:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It's remarkable how dreadful he was when handling the puck along the goal line on one of the PP opportunities in the second period, then he scores on the power play.
feels like one of those situations where guys need to be utilized to their strengths.. he's not a passer but he's a great netfront guy

i get that they're trying to instill systems but sometimes guys don't fit specific systems and you gotta play to their strengths

but who knows i'm not an NHL coach

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
feels like one of those situations where guys need to be utilized to their strengths.. he's not a passer but he's a great netfront guy

i get that they're trying to instill systems but sometimes guys don't fit specific systems and you gotta play to their strengths

but who knows i'm not an NHL coach
Brown's always been pretty good in the dirty areas. It's weird when they don't stick him there and have him trying to snipe or set up plays.

Reactions: tny760 and kilowatt

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Random question, if your team has to serve a bench minor like too many men on the ice, and TM chooses MacD for whatever reason, does that count towards MacD’s PIM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad