Speculation: 2020-21 Roster

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I know this is nearly impossible to do but I'd like to give it a shot for fun. I'm going to assume the team stays mostly the same this upcoming season, which means Detroit will have another top-5 (or top-10 at least) pick next summer. I'm not going to bother with cap hits or guessing line combos correctly, I'm just going to assume Yzerman can get his guys signed. These are guys that are already signed or will very likely be signed as RFAs.

Here's what I think we can expect going into the 2020-21 season (bolded = under contract, italics = RFAs, Seider will be under contract):

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Veleno-Athanasiou
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Hirose
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

Extras/callups: Berggren, Smith, Svechnikov, Ehn, De La Rose

Cholowski-Hronek
DeKeyser
-Seider
McIsaac
-Bowey

Extras/callups: Kaski, Lindstrom, Hicketts, Saarijarvi, Tuomisto

Bernier
Larsson

Assuming the cap goes up to $84,000,000, the above roster would leave the Wings with something like $10-20 million in cap space depending mostly on what the big RFAs (Bertuzzi/Mantha/AA) sign for.
Another possibility to take into account is they might have a top-3 pick next summer that's capable of jumping into the lineup right away.

For all the complaining about the bad contracts, they're actually going to be in a good position next summer.

Long story short, the Wings are going to have a decent team with another top-5-ish pick waiting in the wings and $10-20 million in cap space at this time next year. Pretty exciting.

Some notable UFAs (age):

- Backstrom (32)
- Hall (28)
- Granlund (28)
- Kreider (29)
- Hoffman (30)

- Pietrangelo (30)
- Barrie (28)
- Krug (29)
- Faulk (28)
- Josi (30)
- Hamonic (29)
- Bouwmeester (36)

- Holtby (30)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: lidstromiscool

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think a kid producing 6 points in the top German league will come in as a 20 year old and start on the 2nd defensive pairing. I think we've got more than a couple years of developing before we see Seider in a winged wheel.

I also think Kaski has a chance to play on the team this year.

Depending on who we sign/resign in the mean-time I think Wings should make a run at/for Taylor Hall if Devils don't resign him. I mean they did just draft Hughes and trade for Subban so there might be incentive to get a deal done with Hall.

- Just my thoughts.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I want to throw up every time I see that 4th line. I’m really hoping someone can step up and make some sort of big step (Berggren, Svechnikov, Smith, Ehn, etc.).

I’m happy too see that we will have some future depth moving forward on the Defensive side of things. Defensemen are like pitchers in baseball, you need a lot of them because they there is a good chance that more than half won’t be NHL players.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Abdelkader
Zadina-Nielsen-Mantha
Glendening-Brassard-Athanasiou
Veleno-Ehn/De La Rose-Hirose

DeKeyser-Ericsson
Engelland-Hronek
Cholowski-Seider

Howard
Bernier

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I don't think a kid producing 6 points in the top German league will come in as a 20 year old and start on the 2nd defensive pairing. I think we've got more than a couple years of developing before we see Seider in a winged wheel.

Depending on who we sign/resign in the mean-time I think Wings should make a run at/for Taylor Hall if Devils don't resign him. I mean they did just draft Hughes and trade for Subban so there might be incentive to get a deal done with Hall.

- Just my thoughts.

Seider, IMO, will DEFINITELY be ready in 20-21. Some people think he’s ready this year.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Let's have some fun:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Byfield-Athanasiou
Rasmussen-Veleno-Hirose
Helm-Nielsen-Glendening

Extras/callups: Abdelkader, Svechnikov, Ehn, De La Rose

Cholowski-Hronek
DeKeyser-Barrie
McIsaac-Seider

Extras/callups: Bowey, Kaski, Lindstrom, Hicketts, Saarijarvi, Tuomisto

Bernier
Larsson

:naughty:

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
maybe slightly joking but only slightly

we'll see what happens I guess

a lot of the stuff as far as line combos go is somewhat predicated on Blashill extending though(by the way I think Blashill will extend)
If that is the roster for 20-21, then the wings will be the worst team in the league, bar, none and won’t have made any progress compared to this year.

Reactions: LeftWingLocked

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

- Just my thoughts.
If Abby gets playing time over Svech, I'm done watching this team until Abby retires. Dead serious.

I'll bet money that Seider makes the team before Kaski. My opinion is based on physical readiness as well as defensive abilities. Kaski will get abused in the NHL, he needs to add some bulk, otherwise he's Hicketts with offensive upside. (You know, like Helm with hands.)

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
If Abby gets playing time over Svech, I'm done watching this team until Abby retires. Dead serious.

I'll bet money that Seider makes the team before Kaski. My opinion is based on physical readiness as well as defensive abilities. Kaski will get abused in the NHL, he needs to add some bulk, otherwise he's Hicketts with offensive upside. (You know, like Helm with hands.)

Idk why you think that when he played in a better league and did very well compared to Seider.

Kaski isn't small... 6'3, 190ish. Same size as Danny DeKeyser. An Liiga is known for being pretty similar to the NHL/KHL compared to the rest of the Euro leagues.

I just find it rather funny no one. NOT ONE PERSON here in this forum suggested him over Broberg or Soderstrom....

An now he's ready to play, next year, for sure 2020. Great. I'll be really happy, just wonder where were all your voices before the Red Wings media machine pimped this kid after his selection? Or were you all ready to support any pick/player?

Side note: I'll take your friendly bet. Msg me what you're willing to wager, Drinks are cool with me.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Seider, IMO, will DEFINITELY be ready in 20-21. Some people think he’s ready this year.

Well, that's an opinion. We'll see, I hope so, I can't see how he's ready. Rasmus Dahlin's don't walk around every day where they jump right into the league. An on top of adjusting to playing against better competition in the States the rinks also different and life-style. ( I'm also not mad about it. Just think he'll be a 3/4 year project)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Idk why you think that when he played in a better league and did very well compared to Seider.

Kaski isn't small... 6'3, 190ish. Same size as Danny DeKeyser. An Liiga is known for being pretty similar to the NHL/KHL compared to the rest of the Euro leagues.

I just find it rather funny no one. NOT ONE PERSON here in this forum suggested him over Broberg or Soderstrom....

An now he's ready to play, next year, for sure 2020. Great. I'll be really happy, just wonder where were all your voices before the Red Wings media machine pimped this kid after his selection? Or were you all ready to support any pick/player?

Side note: I'll take your friendly bet. Msg me what you're willing to wager, Drinks are cool with me.
I don't think Seider has the upside potential that Broberg or Soderstrom have. I also think he has a higher floor though, I expect him to spend some time in the league, worst case 3rd pair.

Kaski is hit or miss, he might not even make the league. Was much higher on him until WC.

There's a potential one of them gets playing time next year when Green gets traded, and a roster spot in 2020 only if Stevie can't pick up a plug on a short term contract to replace Green. I watched Green break into the league at 19, not because he was ready but because the defense was a complete dumpster fire. When the defense is as bad as ours, and contracts expire some GMs will throw in kids that aren't quite ready instead of signing aging vets to short term contracts. It all depends on how Stevie wants to handle it obviously...

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I will be more aggressive
Rasmussen-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-AA-Bertuzzi
Berggren-Veleno -Glendenning
Ehn- Turgeon-Gallant

DD-Hronek
Cholo- Bowey
Seider-Mcissac
Rasmussen net front and corners , same line pp .
couple more years and I like to see
Grewe Kivenmaki-Bertuzzi line

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Nielsen
Helm
-Glendening-Abdelkader

Man I can't wait for the day to see these players in our rear view mirror

I like Glendy, he is a good 4th line shutdown c. But the other three mainly Neilsen and Abby can't clear our cap fast enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad