2020/21 Roster Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If there wasn't freakin expansion, we should be making moves to be a possible championship team. Couldn't have happened in a worse year.

What kind of moves do you mean?

The only thing I see the ED affecting is that they wouldn’t want to sign or trade for a high end dman who they would need to protect in a 4-4 format.

Reactions: orangey

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
When I saw a second line of G Hayes Vora I thought the same thing, who is going to score?

Hopefully Frost, Farabee and NAK step up and start scoring more. I love NAK’s shot and would like to see him play with better playmaking line mates and see what happens

Our top 4 goal scorers were

TK 24
Hayes 23
Coots 22
G 21

Reactions: LorneMalvo

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If we do make a trade...I’d like to look back in 5-7 years and at least see that the Flyers won the trade and benefited more from the transaction!

iu

The no-ED version of the "What if?" game would be fun if the Flyers were also cap-strapped.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Our top 4 goal scorers were

TK 24
Hayes 23
Coots 22
G 21

Yeah but how many were when playing with Hayes? I just going off limited eye test but he sure seems to hold onto the puck a lot. I’d say TK has the best chemistry with Hayes. Tk had a few nice apples to Hayes during the playoffs

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What kind of moves do you mean?

The only thing I see the ED affecting is that they wouldn’t want to sign or trade for a high end dman who they would need to protect in a 4-4 format.
That is the exact move.

Can't try and go after Pietrangelo if the wanted to. Mgt having ties to Minny might have see Dumba as a good trade target for the top 4. This offseason also has other RHD options that seem to be more plenty than usual that they could explore.

But adding a RHD was what I was referencing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, I'm happy to wait until after the ED to wheel and deal.
The coming season will be a good chance to assess the young players, see if they can take a step up, then after you know who you lose in the ED, make a move or two to make a real run with Hart with another season under his belt.

Right now the Flyers have a lot of young players, and they still have to find out just how good they are.
If someone like Laczynski or Allison steps up in the 2nd half of the season, or Frost outplays the 3C position or . . .

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
That is the exact move.

Can't try and go after Pietrangelo if the wanted to. Mgt having ties to Minny might have see Dumba as a good trade target for the top 4. This offseason also has other RHD options that seem to be more plenty than usual that they could explore.

But adding a RHD was what I was referencing.

Friedman mentioned the same possible Dumba trade twice in the latest 31 thoughts (Not w/Flyers), but I can't recall who the return was - I think it was someone who's name also started with a "D." From how he was talking, my impression was that it was a deal that had serious potential.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I'm wondering what the willingness would be to take on a player for this season with the intention of leaving him exposed, or even adding a small non-roster enticement to take him. A hypothetical is Shattenkirk; as long a shot as it is, would they be able to sign him to a reasonable amount, if indeed there is a buyer's market, and then hope or actively pursue him being selected in the ED?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I'm wondering what the willingness would be to take on a player for this season with the intention of leaving him exposed, or even adding a small non-roster enticement to take him. A hypothetical is Shattenkirk; as long a shot as it is, would they be able to sign him to a reasonable amount, if indeed there is a buyer's market, and then hope or actively pursue him being selected in the ED?

shattenkirk would the perfect fit if the money is right, won a cup, played with av in new york, younger than braun and nisky playing right d, that's the player im suggesting the flyers should get to replace braun.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
shattenkirk would the perfect fit if the money is right, won a cup, played with av in new york, younger than braun and nisky playing right d, that's the player im suggesting the flyers should get to replace braun.
Supposedly he’s looking for 3.5-4 million per year.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Winning a cup, playing for AV in the past, and age are not valid reasons to want a player.

Of the different positional options, RHD would be the most useful. Shattenkirk is theoretically an upgrade over Niskanen and could be a viable partner for Provorov, especially if the aim is to make a push in 2020-21 and then lose Shattenkirk to Seattle. He also wouldn't cost assets like Dumba or cost the sun and moon like Pietrangelo.

I'm just entertaining an interesting angle that I haven't seen discussed; i.e., upgrading with the expectation of losing that upgrade at the end of the season, and the pros and cons. I'm still sitting in the front seat of the "Play the Kids" bus and it would take a sweetheart deal to get me to disembark.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Imagine using Shattenkirk’s time with Vigneault in New York as a reason he’d want to come here. :laugh:

This team doesn’t know how to maximize or even use PP defensemen with certain skill sets, so there’s no point in acquiring another one.

yeah, vet d arent allowed on this team, it has to be only players from the farm system because we hate vet players.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Imagine using Shattenkirk’s time with Vigneault in New York as a reason he’d want to come here. :laugh:

This team doesn’t know how to maximize or even use PP defensemen with certain skill sets, so there’s no point in acquiring another one.
Yup, we got another slug coming

Reactions: Striiker

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018

And he isn't very good. If they asked me the player profile to target would be a right side defenseman that plays high PK minutes. The 2021 schedule will crame in the maximum number of games in as short a time frame as possible. A bottom pair defenseman that can take a lot of the tough pk minutes and be a solid 5-v-5 guy will be extremely valuable. Depth and delegating tough minutes in 2021 will be critical. It will be a season of unprecedented attrition, perseverance, and stamina.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I understand the desire to nab a veteran defenseman. However it’s not really necessary. This season, there is Niskanen but beyond that this isn’t Provorov’s first rodeo. Sanheim has three seasons under his belt. Myers only has one plus but he also trained and played in the Worlds last summer. Even Hagg has experience. Assuming that Gostisbehere is gone, there are newbies in line to take his spot but they will be working with five other defensemen who have experience. If Braun would stay on with a reasonable deal, that would be fine but signing any third pair player at much over $2M really isn’t necessary.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Of the different positional options, RHD would be the most useful. Shattenkirk is theoretically an upgrade over Niskanen and could be a viable partner for Provorov, especially if the aim is to make a push in 2020-21 and then lose Shattenkirk to Seattle. He also wouldn't cost assets like Dumba or cost the sun and moon like Pietrangelo.

I'm just entertaining an interesting angle that I haven't seen discussed; i.e., upgrading with the expectation of losing that upgrade at the end of the season, and the pros and cons. I'm still sitting in the front seat of the "Play the Kids" bus and it would take a sweetheart deal to get me to disembark.
And the best part is that these are actually valid reasons to want a player. :laugh:

Not completely random trivia that has nothing to do with on-ice play.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyer scoring pretty balanced - ES goals
TK 19 (31)
Couts 18 (38)
JVR 15 (68t)
Hayes 15 (68t)
Giroux 13 (107t)
Laughton 13 (107t)
Lindblom 8 (30 games)
Farabee 7 (52 games)