Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Info

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's a tricky thing. Drafting based on pedigree is a double edged sword. When it works out you may have found along term fixture for your organization who can be a true leader and their learning curve for understanding the game and also everything surrounding it might be much quicker... but they also may have some strong connections to specific regions or organizations. Overall I think it's pretty bunk to spurn the team that drafts/trades/tries to sign you to ELC, etc as they are showing faith in your abilities and essentially saying they WANT you to be a part of their organization and future. But on the flip side, you do you. Not really going to begrudge a player for playing for whoever they want and using the tools provided to allow them to do that. It does handcuff their team somewhat though, and it is endlessly annoying that it always seems to be the Rangers who are the beneficiaries of this. Why you would want to play for that franchise is beyond me but again, you do you. If we can get more than what we spent on Drury then you take it and move on. Being a top team (hopefully for a long time) should change the outlook on some of these tough to sign players in the future.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We'll see what happens. Maybe he'll still end up here. If we get something like two seconds again for a guy that cost a second, that's still pretty good if a guy won't sign. Obviously, it'd be better if he would sign here. I've been on the he's higher on my prospect list than most train for a while now but we'll do the best we can if he pulls the same shit as Fox.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Drury, it comes down to what is the organizational plan for him next year.

If we tell him, like Jarvis at camp, have fun cuz you aint making the roster then he can go to the Rangers now and play. Their center depth is poop.

If he is ready, he can take over 4C next season with an increasing role as the season goes on. Be ready for a '2C' role in 22-23. I dont see him shying away from that.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think it will be telling whether or not Drury signs soon after the SHL playoffs. There’s not really anything holding him back from coming back to NA if he wants to. Harvard isn’t an option anymore, so it’s Canes’ organization or bust until 8/15/22.

I also think he’d have a very good chance to make the team next year. If his play from the SHL carries over to the NHL, he’d be a much cheaper option for the bottom 6 over re-signing multiple options out of Martinook, Paquette and McGinn.

If Lorentz is around after the expansion draft, I think you could certainly plug him in on the 4th line next year. Add Drury and one of the ideas-to-be and you’re cookin.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I assumed he left Harvard because he was going to sign with us, he wouldnt be giving up his NCAA career otherwise. His Dad and Uncle both stayed four years, I think leaving likely wasn't an easy decision and had a purpose. I've been assuming he was going to be signed and in the AHL by the end of this season - or start with us next season. I'm not that concerned yet.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Drury, it comes down to what is the organizational plan for him next year.

If we tell him, like Jarvis at camp, have fun cuz you aint making the roster then he can go to the Rangers now and play. Their center depth is poop.

If he is ready, he can take over 4C next season with an increasing role as the season goes on. Be ready for a '2C' role in 22-23. I dont see him shying away from that.

That's a good pitch. Personally I see his upside as a Staal lite. A reliable twoway 3C in a cup contender.

There's definitely value in that but I think he's not the answer for 2c hole. Tro might be extended but I think he prices himself out. Necas might be the answer but he might be better as a wing. Jarvis and Suzuki aren't ready. Out of the existing core I could also see TT as a potential 2C (but unlikely). Splitting Aho and TT isn't good and both guys need physical wingers.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I assumed he left Harvard because he was going to sign with us, he wouldnt be giving up his NCAA career otherwise. His Dad and Uncle both stayed four years, I think leaving likely wasn't an easy decision and had a purpose. I've been assuming he was going to be signed and in the AHL by the end of this season - or start with us next season. I'm not that concerned yet.

Drury also made this move before Harvard (and the rest of the Ivy League schools) cancelled all winter sports in November, as he signed the deal with Vaxjo in August. So it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction to Harvard cancelling the 20-21 season, even if he realized this was a possibility based on the Ivy League's cancellation of fall sports in July 2020.

As bleedgreen points out, Drury could have transferred elsewhere if he thought Harvard would cancel the season but other schools might not. If he wanted to get to that college FA status he could have found another school, so I agree it appears likely Drury will sign in the off-season at the latest if he needs some time off after the SHL season.

A Black Ace role may not be as enticing this season as previous years with isolation rules on the road and the need to quarantine before joining the team.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
That's a good pitch. Personally I see his upside as a Staal lite. A reliable twoway 3C in a cup contender.

There's definitely value in that but I think he's not the answer for 2c hole. Tro might be extended but I think he prices himself out. Necas might be the answer but he might be better as a wing. Jarvis and Suzuki aren't ready. Out of the existing core I could also see TT as a potential 2C (but unlikely). Splitting Aho and TT isn't good and both guys need physical wingers.
I think he has more scoring potential than given credit for.

as a 20/21 year old, he was 22nd in the league in scoring for Point/Game and 24th for Points/60. Most of the guys that were ahead of him are 25-35. The one young guy I found that was better at PPG / P60 was a guy picked 33rd OA of the same draft to the Red Wings. That isnt considering not speaking the language, playing on a new team with a new style. and playing in a different game than NA ice.

I think we will build something with Aho-Drury-Staal-Pono down the middle that will be stellar on offense and defense. Varying degrees of offense or defense leaning depending on the wingers paired with each.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he has more scoring potential than given credit for.

as a 20/21 year old, he was 22nd in the league in scoring for Point/Game and 24th for Points/60. Most of the guys that were ahead of him are 25-35. The one young guy I found that was better at PPG / P60 was a guy picked 33rd OA of the same draft to the Red Wings. That isnt considering not speaking the language, playing on a new team with a new style. and playing in a different game than NA ice.

I think we will build something with Aho-Drury-Staal-Pono down the middle that will be stellar on offense and defense. Varying degrees of offense or defense leaning depending on the wingers paired with each.
The Swedish league and the NCAA's are both leagues you should avoid using when trying to make blind guesses about how good an offensive player a guy is and how it will translate. I would still expect Pono to be the more skilled forward and Drury to be the two way guy. Playing in Sweden was a good way for Drury to develop the side of his game that needed the most work but calling him a second line center based off of the SEL is just off target.

Just let him show up and find his own way without our expectations. He was drafted to be a scrappy two way guy, we'll see where his offense takes him.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The Swedish league and the NCAA's are both leagues you should avoid using when trying to make blind guesses about how good an offensive player a guy is and how it will translate. I would still expect Pono to be the more skilled forward and Drury to be the two way guy. Playing in Sweden was a good way for Drury to develop the side of his game that needed the most work but calling him a second line center based off of the SEL is just off target.

Just let him show up and find his own way without our expectations. He was drafted to be a scrappy two way guy, we'll see where his offense takes him.

seems there is a terminology issue here. No one with be the '3C' here while Jordan is present. Of course RBA doesnt use 1st line, 2nd line, etc. Jordan will take the big draws and the big defensive minutes. Drury wont be that. Is he a 60 point scorer, probably not. At the same time, he is capable of centering a scoring line that will more than likely be our 3rd line in TOI. In essence taking the 2C spot because the shutdown 3C spot is Staal's for another 3 years. In the end he would take over the 3rd most center minutes on the team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
seems there is a terminology issue here. No one with be the '3C' here while Jordan is present. Of course RBA doesnt use 1st line, 2nd line, etc. Jordan will take the big draws and the big defensive minutes. Drury wont be that. Is he a 60 point scorer, probably not. At the same time, he is capable of centering a scoring line that will more than likely be our 3rd line in TOI. In essence taking the 2C spot because the shutdown 3C spot is Staal's for another 3 years. In the end he would take over the 3rd most center minutes on the team.
Well RBA can call them whatever he likes but of course have 1-4C just like everyone else. Drury won't have the offense to take the 2C from Trocheck, we'll see where we are at when Tro outprices himself. I don't think we should let Tro go though, as we are closer to a 1A/1B situation with Aho and Trocheck than we realize imo.

I could see Drury at the 4C spot until Staal moves on, then being the 3C. Lorentz can wreak havoc on the forecheck better from the wing. Ideally Drury plays well enough for the team to feel pressure to move him up over Staal, if Staal can't maintain this years play and make Staal 4C in time...though that's unlikely with Rod.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
a lot has changed about our team reputation this season. we're fighting for the presidents trophy, we have a jack adams candidate behind the bench, and we have top end talent under 28 for days. this should be a place that kids hold out to join, not hold out to sign. drury is right in that sweet spot to age with aho, svech, and necas and that's almost an assurance that you will be on a competitive club until your second contract. it's a no brainer to the extent that it would make me question drury's vision for his career if he went elsewhere.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
a lot has changed about our team reputation this season. we're fighting for the presidents trophy, we have a jack adams candidate behind the bench, and we have top end talent under 28 for days. this should be a place that kids hold out to join, not hold out to sign. drury is right in that sweet spot to age with aho, svech, and necas and that's almost an assurance that you will be on a competitive club until your second contract. it's a no brainer to the extent that it would make me question drury's vision for his career if he went elsewhere.

At the same time, it's possible Drury would want to play for an organization which values his life, and not demands the imminent death of most of its prospect pool. To each his own, ya know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad