Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Development Tracker

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You guys think the Traverse Prospect tournament will happen this year?

Scott White said in his exit interview it will happen in some fashion. How exactly in will look at the end though hadn't been decided yet . Aparently there are multiple plans for different circumstances.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Am I remembering wrong or was that thing on its last legs even before COVID?
You are remembering wrong. I'm pretty sure it gets the most attention of any prospect tournament, and the arenas are packed for every single game. The last day has people crammed in, standing wherever they can get a view of the ice.

Be interesting to see what form it takes this year. The production quality has steadily gotten better now that online streaming is so much easier than it was even a few years ago.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure its just the Stars coverage that wasn't great but other teams covered it pretty well

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
This may be a memory from a few years ago, but I remember a year where the stars games just weren't televised at all, or maybe another team televised some by coincidence. If that is no longer the case that's great. I probably just didn't think about Traverse the last couple of years because I'm not sure we had anyone hugely exciting to watch, outside of maybe Miro if he participated. Thinking back, the last guy I watched at Traverse that I remember being excited about was James Neal, so yeah, it's been a little while since Traverse was a thing I paid attention to.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This may be a memory from a few years ago, but I remember a year where the stars games just weren't televised at all, or maybe another team televised some by coincidence. If that is no longer the case that's great. I probably just didn't think about Traverse the last couple of years because I'm not sure we had anyone hugely exciting to watch, outside of maybe Miro if he participated. Thinking back, the last guy I watched at Traverse that I remember being excited about was James Neal, so yeah, it's been a little while since Traverse was a thing I paid attention to.
Jason Robertson and Riley Damiani both judge you... harshly

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Janmark leaped off the screen in his year, which elevated him to the big squad and an 18 goal season in 2015 or 6. That is kind of the point of the tourney, is to give the prospects a chance to elevate their status in the minds of coaches and GMs. So, the "possibility" of seeing a breakout star (or Star in our case), sort of like every shot being the "possibility" of a goal is why you watch, if you can.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
If Damiani, Mascherin, Peterson, Dellandrea all start in the AHL that might the most talented group of forward in a while. Sure there has been individual players more talented, but rarely that many at a time

Edit: + Harley

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Jason Robertson and Riley Damiani both judge you... harshly

I sincerely doubt either of them has hurt feelings about a random guy not watching them in an obscure tournament, or any tournament. Also, you know, that’s what the ‘not sure’ implies, my lack of confidence in my statement about players that played in it.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
perhaps. Of course, he was probably a sixth-rounder before he was the AHL rookie of the year, picked because he had some potential, but also some flaws, like most lower picks. After he raised hopes as the ROY, he had to be somewhat of a disappointment. He did get his cup of coffee with the Stars, with games in parts of 4 seasons, with one season totaling 53 games.

Perhaps more importantly to this discussion, his ROY stats were 75 games, 27G-38A-65 Points, vs, RD's 36 games, 11-25-36, and somehow, a few here are calling our forward pool one of our best ever. C macs GPG was slightly better in his ROY year, .36 to .31.

There are a lot of players whose shot is just a tick below what NHL goalies can stop regularly.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
McKenzie was/is also a completely different type of player . Not exactly much skill mostly just mucking and grinding . His playstyle just didn't translate into NHL scoring.

Reactions: Kipper 17

serp

Jan 17, 2016
McKenzie was very similar to some of the college free agents the Stars signed in terms of age and experience when he had his AHL rookie season. L'Esperance also had a very strong AHL rookie season at a similar age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad