Speculation: 2020-21 Projected Lineup

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
For contract status, the 9 games doesn't mean anything for Zegras, right? He's on an NHL/AHL contract and won't be sent to juniors, so if he plays 2 games or 20 games in Anaheim, a year gets burned?
Right. He would be sent to the AHL, not to a junior team. So his contract can't slide. It starts next season no matter what.

Reactions: Getz2noone

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Right. He would be sent to the AHL, not to a junior team. So his contract can't slide. It starts next season no matter what.
His contract can still slide. I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but, as an example, Lindholm played in the AHL immediately after he was drafted and his contract still slid. Liljegren of the Leafs signed his ELC right after being drafted, and his contract slid twice while playing in the AHL. There are cases of NCAA players signing as 19 year olds after their seasons end and join NHL teams and it burns a year (Boeser, Keller, Q Hughes, etc.), but I don't think that applies in this case.

Reactions: Boo Boo

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
His contract can still slide. I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but, as an example, Lindholm played in the AHL immediately after he was drafted and his contract still slid. Liljegren of the Leafs signed his ELC right after being drafted, and his contract slid twice while playing in the AHL. There are cases of NCAA players signing as 19 year olds after their seasons end and join NHL teams and it burns a year (Boeser, Keller, Q Hughes, etc.), but I don't think that applies in this case.
Ah you're right. Forgot that Zegras is still only 19.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Really long post

I've copied and pasted your post below and my replies are in bold.

Why is Holtz' talent not translate to a sure thing as an NHL goal scorer, but other prospects will translate to a sure thing at the NHL level? That's that inequality in thought that I don't get. Again, Central Scouting EU has Holtz ranked as the 2nd best prospect, above Raymond.

Because there’s more to being a sure thing than just having a good shot. I’ve never said anyone is a sure thing (well Laf is but he’s in a class of his own) but I think 7-8 other guys are more sure bets than Holtz. I see Holtz as having a good shot but someone who plays on the perimeter, has poor shot selection, poor defense and below average skating. That’s nice that CS EU has him ranked over Raymond, they’re more the exception than the rule, McKenzie, Button, Pronman, ISS, McKeens and FC all rank Raymond higher.

Against men, Holtz did better than Raymond.
Raymond: 33 games, 4 goals (16th on team), 6 assists (18th), and 10 points (17th)
Holtz: 35 games, 9 goals (5th on team), 7 (14th), and 16 points (10th)

Context is required here. Holtz has already filled out a lot more than Raymond so physically he was more ready. But Holtz also got a lot more opportunity - his team was much weaker offensively and as a result he averaged more than 3 minutes more per night and received regular PP time. Raymond was playing mostly 4th line minutes and was used in front of the net on the PP when he actually got to play there which is not his strength. If you switch their teams I’m sure the stats would tell a different story.

The most goals scored was 17 goals for both teams, 38-year old Joel Lundqvist for Raymond's team and 32-year old Patrick Berglund for Holtz' team. DD denoted the reason Holtz adapted better than Raymond was because Holtz was able to get more physical. His coach and scouts reiterate Holtz' motor/drive is very high and that's the huge reason why he'll be produce. Again, DD noticed this watching Holtz' season and saw that growth due to his motor.

You keep quoting DD and his videos are great but he’s just one opinion. Holtz didn’t adapt better so much as he was more physically ready and was given much more opportunity.

Between Raymond and Holtz, we already know Holtz has already adapted faster against men, though not possessing the high ceiling talent of Raymond. That high ceiling rating was seen readily against players Raymond's age. DD stated that Raymond was the superior player in the junior league, but that flipped at a men's league (SHL). If Holtz produced better than Raymond at the same level of play against men, then why does Holtz get a knock? Holtz also produced more assists than Raymond too.

Again there’s no knock on Holtz for producing more against men, the knock is on his attributes and how well they will translate in the NHL vs Raymond’s. Raymond has high end hands, is a much better skater and has higher end hockey IQ. His motor is also just as good. I value those attributes far more than having a good shot and good hands but with weak skating and poor shot selection.

The CHL isn't played against men. It's more difficult to tell if players will adapt to playing against men.

Not disagreeing here but as many players bust playing against men in European leagues pre draft as they do in the CHL. It is hard to compare though but comparisons are still possible.

We all can fall in love with potential, but do we put the actuality of reaching that potential? Playing in the SHL does give us better insight on that transition. That's a big factor as to why Stutzle is being looked at possibly being selected #2 overall, though he played at the DEL.

A big factor as to why Stutzle is being looked at number 2 is because he’s an excellent prospect with high end offensive attributes and work ethic, it doesn’t matter what league he plays in he would be considered for number two no matter where he plays.

If fans love Teemu, then why isn't Holtz a viable prospect for the Ducks? Scoring a lot of goals and PP goals aren't valued factors? We're deprived at scoring ES goals as well as PP goals with only Brayden Tracey as a possible goal scorer, but a majority of this board is already down on Tracey.

Teemu is one of the best goal scorers of all time with incredible instincts, top end skating ability and an innate ability to get open. Holtz will never be on that level of greatness, I don’t get how this attempted comparison makes him a viable prospect? As for being a viable prospect, he is very much a viable prospect for whoever drafts him but at number 6 the majority of posters on these boards thing we can get a better prospect than Holtz.

What if Raymond doesn't bulk up? What if Perfetti's skating doesn't get fixed? I like Rossi, but Holtz is 8-month younger. Thus, Holtz might have more to his game than Rossi as Holtz continues to fill out (because DD noticed Holtz did increase his mass playing at the SHL level). I enjoy the high floor that Holtz brings and displayed at the SHL level. There's youtube videos on tracking both Raymond and Holtz. Holtz identifies the differences between playing against juniors and mens, which probably made him adapt faster knowing there is a huge jump, more structure, and more work involved.

As I said before Rossi is only 4 months older, not 8. And you can play what if’s with almost any prospects, there are very few sure things. I don’t know where this high floor comes from with Holtz, if he can’t continue to improve his skating and defensive game he’s as likely to bust as anyone in The top 10. As for the YouTube videos, there are YouTube videos out there that show Raymond making plays that Holtz could only dream of making.

But Anaheim has a lot of playmakers within their org, but no finishers. Is Tracey enough to bank upon? I don't think so.

Playmakers generally make those around them into better goal scorers than finishers help playmakers. I take two Getzlafs anyday of the week over one Getzlaf and one Perry, Getzlaf showed he could elevate the goal scoring ability of almost anybody where as the Perry didn’t drive the play nearly as much.

Again, I don't mind if Anaheim does select another player, but dismissing Holtz as a possibility has me scratching my head. Trading for a known NHL goal scorer will cost more than a 6th overall pick. This kid has been known to be a goal scorer for a few years now and hasn't disappointed. Why is that? Probably because he keeps working on it - which can be attributed to his motor/drive.

It’s my opinion, I don’t think he’s worthy of the 6th overall pick. I acknowledge he could very well be a possibility (who knows what our scouts are thinking), just IMO he shouldn’t be.

The draft is a gamble and we're projecting who those players can become. Part of that process is assessing the probability of becoming that player at the NHL level. Playing at the SHL/DEL/Liiga helps to create a better projection. Remember, playing in the NHL means playing in a more physical atmosphere. Holtz is much closer to playing at the NHL level than Raymond. With Raymond, we're going to have to wait a while and hope he does pan out to his potential against men. A lot of scouts project Holtz as a first line wing, 30-goal scorer. I didn't say this, but I am repeating it. What's wrong with that?

Plenty of players coming out of European leagues have busted, you can’t act like playing against men before being drafted makes them a sure thing. As for Holtz being much closer than Raymond, that’s a matter of opinion. If Raymond can bulk up and get some good opportunity this upcoming season I can see him only being a year away from playing in the NHL. He’s got a skillset very similar to Marner who was able to make it in his draft + 2 season. Projections are all well and good but they’re generally the high end of what a player could be. Holtz does have 30G upside but that’s closer to his ceiling than his floor.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We should be one the choice destinations for free agent prospects and journeyman trying to carve out an NHL role, and it would be a good idea to bring in a few of these types to compete with our prospects in camp.

AHL scoring leader Sam Anas is about to become a free agent. Where will he sign? - TheHockeyNews

AHL scoring leader Sam Anas is a good example. Small speedy scoring RW with zero NHL experience. At worst a great add for the Gulls, but perhaps a chance to catch a bit of lightning in a bottle.

Another candidate would be Alan Quine. Was always a smart playmaker in junior, and has rounded into a dominant force at the AHL level (98 points in his last 79 games). Has seen limited NHL opportunity but could turn out to be another late bloomer bottom six center in a similar fashion to Grant.

We can not only provide opportunity to compete for NHL time, but the org has also shown a great willingness to spend on stocking the Gulls. Should be able to offer these types more than what most other teams can.

Murray talked about building sufficient depth so that prospects aren't thrust into roles they haven't earned. I think most would agree that the blueline depth has been restocked, but there is definitely room to bring in forwards to compete for jobs.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Does anyone think Lundeström is a chance to step up next season?

He has shown signs but does need to work more on his offence. I would like to see him step up in a 3C or 4C capacity during the year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He has shown signs but does need to work more on his offence. I would like to see him step up in a 3C or 4C capacity during the year.

He should have to show that he's too good to be playing down in the AHL. Could happen over the course of this next season, but hasn't yet.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Chance? For sure - but not sure how much.

I am staying fairly optimistic though. He will be freshly 21 to start the season. While he has been underwhelming in the North America so far, he was a teenager/20 years old. If we look at his 19 year old season in the SHL, it was good:

He was making plays as a tenager in the men's league. I think he is too perimeter and lacks elite offense IQ to be a top line player, but he might pop out as a good 3C.
This will be his D+3 year. For late first rounders and further, it usually takes 4-5 years to be noticeable at the highest level. I think Isaac is still trying to figure out how he can adopt his game to NA style. His transition in the SHL looked awesome btw

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He should have to show that he's too good to be playing down in the AHL. Could happen over the course of this next season, but hasn't yet.

He would also have to beat out Steel and Backes. Those spots are pretty much locked down at this point. My guess is he locks down the 4C spot after Backes' contract expires.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He would also have to beat out Steel and Backes. Those spots are pretty much locked down at this point. My guess is he locks down the 4C spot after Backes' contract expires.

There will be a lot of fluidity to the lineup for the next while. Multiple guys including Lundy himself, can play wing if needed. There are very few players "locked" into any particular role as of now. Backes, who played just 22 games this year, may not even have enough left in the tank to be a mainstay every night.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I feel like Lundy gets a bad rep around here. He feel like that 'swiss-army knife' typing that was given to him back then will still hold up now. He'll fit anywhere.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
There will be a lot of fluidity to the lineup for the next while. Multiple guys including Lundy himself, can play wing if needed. There are very few players "locked" into any particular role as of now. Backes, who played just 22 games this year, may not even have enough left in the tank to be a mainstay every night.

I wouldn't be surprised if he saw some time in the NHL next season due to the aforementioned fluidity. This team always gets hurt. I was addressing the question of if he was ready for a 3C or 4C spot next season. He's got some climbing to do on the depth chart if that were to happen. Even if Backes doesn't play, which I doubt, there's Agozzino, Carrick, and the prospect of Rowney sliding back into center.

There's also the chance Elite#1C comes back.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

he's going to have to show more in the AHL. So weird, he was so impressive his first stint with Anaheim. Anaheim is packed with young players; he's going to have to beat someone else. That starts with dominating the AHL, he just didn't last year.

Reactions: Getz2noone

DuckRogers10

Feb 3, 2016
Cypress, CA

I would rather have Lundy playing before Steel.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lundy is a tough 1 for me... he is very underrated skill wise, I’m always impressed when I watch him... he plays in all 3 zones.
But he seems to have trouble finding the net consistently(idk if it’s a terrible comparison but he somewhat reminds me of nattinen).

I like the idea of a heinen Lundy silfverberg line

I’ve also kinda felt maybe steel should be looked at on the wing, he had a few games there and he looked much more comfortable offensively.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Lundy looks the part of a nice Middle 6 NHL player. Not this year, but next year he should be a regular.

Reactions: Kalv

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Max Comtois- Ryan Getzlaf - Danton Heinen
Rickard Rakell - Sam Steel - Jakob Silfverberg
Sonny Milano - Adam Henrique - Troy Terry
Max Jones - Derek Grant - David Backes
Nic Deslauriers
Carter Rowney

Hampus Lindholm - Josh Manson
Cam Fowler - Kevin Shattenkirk
Christian Djoos - Kodie Curran
Jacob Larsson
Jani Hakanpaa

John Gibson
Anthony Stolarz​

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
There is zero percent chance Rowney is the 14th forward, and zero percent chance he's punted out of the line up for f***ing Backes who is one of the worst players in the entire NHL at this point. Rowney is probably the 3rd best defensive forward on the team and was a huge part of a great 4th line last season, there is no way he's not in our best 12 forwards.

Also what's the point of playing Jones on the 4th line instead of big minutes in San Diego? Rowney-Grant-Deslauriers was great as a 4th line last season, there's no reason to break it up at all just to try and shoehorn a guy we are hoping becomes a 2nd liner into a grinding 4th line role. The great thing about acquiring some more experienced NHL players is that it's going to allow the likes of Jones, Lundestrom etc to play in San Diego all season instead of bringing them into the NHL before they are ready, we should be taking advantage of that.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Max Comtois- Ryan Getzlaf - Danton Heinen
Rickard Rakell - Sam Steel - Jakob Silfverberg
Sonny Milano - Adam Henrique - Troy Terry
Max Jones - Derek Grant - David Backes
Nic Deslauriers
Carter Rowney

Hampus Lindholm - Josh Manson
Cam Fowler - Kevin Shattenkirk
Christian Djoos - Kodie Curran
Jacob Larsson
Jani Hakanpaa

John Gibson
Anthony Stolarz​
This lineup doesn't do much for me at all. Yeah, the parts are basically the same, but I'd have them rearranged.

One of my biggest frustrations in thinking about how to set up the forwards has been that NOBODY seems to be able to find any chemistry with Getzlaf (except the former Perry). Rakell has had some but it's been fleeting; not what you could say makes a real combo, but it's been the best of the little we've had. That's why I've been so adamant about getting a skilled FW like Nylander; I feel that he could be another skilled player that the kids, like Terry, Comtois or even Steel (and later Zegras) could play with and get better, and if it cost Rakell+ to get him, I'd gladly do it.

But if that doesn't happen, we have to work with what we've got. So this is what I'd try:

Rakell/Getz/Heinen
Milano/Rico/Terry
Jones/Steel/Silf
NDL/Grant/Rowney
Backes

The only reason Milano is in this lineup is because we extended him and we need to give him a fair chance to get it figured out. I believe Comtois is the better player now and will be in the future, but maybe he should spend time with Zegras in SD and see if they develop real chemistry. I have Silf on the line with Steel and Jones to provide them with some veteran stability. Heinen has to carry the defensive responsibilities for his line.

As for the blue line, I'd like to at least try Shattenkirk with Lindholm, putting Lindholm in the more defensive role which I think he can handle. I'm a big fan of balance in the D pairings. So:

Lindholm/ Shattenkirk
Fowler/Manson
Djoos-Larsson/Curran
Hakenpaa

Gibson/Miller (hopefully)

Don't know if we'll see this. don't know if it'll stick if we do. But I'd give it a shot.

Reactions: MMC

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lundy is a tough 1 for me... he is very underrated skill wise, I’m always impressed when I watch him... he plays in all 3 zones.
But he seems to have trouble finding the net consistently(idk if it’s a terrible comparison but he somewhat reminds me of nattinen).

I like the idea of a heinen Lundy silfverberg line

I’ve also kinda felt maybe steel should be looked at on the wing, he had a few games there and he looked much more comfortable offensively.

If Lundy can have that confidence he has in Sweden back on NA ice, then I'd be very relieved! I was just re-watching that video above and, boy, does he like having fun in those videos! It could simply be confidence that's just missing with him... and possibly our coaches in the AHL not prompting him to be more creative (Eakins and Dineen)? He skates so effortlessly fast, has stick handling. and has creativity!

Should Lundy find fun on NA ice, then I can see the possibility of moving Steel to wing, especially seeing how well Zegras has progressed. I really did like Steel on the wing playing with Getz.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
As I said in the other thread I would try to create lines matching players strengths and try and deploy them properly. Given we lack true game breakers I think it’s our best chance to match up well against other teams forward lines. Henrique last year put up some really good defensive metrics and using the eye test he’s also good defensively which is why I think he can be the pivot on a semi shutdown line. I also don’t think we have enough talent to try and spread it over three hybrid type lines which is why my line of thinking is the below.

So I would run with:

Rakell Getzlaf Terry

Terry really showed a willingness to shoot in his last stint here and looked ready to emerge as a top 6 forward so I think this line works. I also think we are wasting Rakell and Getzlaf’s offensive talents if we don’t try them together again. The line won’t be good defensively but I would try and shelter them, giving them the third toughest minutes defensively.

Heinen Henrique Silfverberg.

All three are very good defensively (and in Silfs case elite). I would match them against other teams top lines and get them to do a fair amount of heavy lifting to try and free up our offensive talents to try and produce for us.

Two of Zegras/Comtois/Jones/Milano/UFA to play wing with Steel as C.

Possibly I would swap Terry and one of these wingers on the top line depending on who shows chemistry with who. I would shelter the hell out of these guys and try and get them out only for offensive zone starts. Ideally we sign some sort of vet as the second winger and only have one of the kids playing wing here. If these guys are all too suspect defensively I would use two of them and have Rowney babysit them, using Backes on the 4th line.

Deslauriers Grant Rowney

gritty 4th line that can play tough defensive minutes and come out giving up less goals than they score. Mix in Backes on occasion.

Spare forwards would be Backes and someone like Carrick.

Lindholm Manson

Self explanatory. They do the heavy lifting defensively.

Fowler Shattenkirk.

Again self explanatory. I would shelter them a little bit. Cam can cover for Shattenkirks defensive miscues and lack of foot speed. Both excellent at moving the puck from the defensive zone.

Larsson/Guhle/Djoos/Curran Hakanpaa

Let these guys fight it out for spots. I like Hakanpaa to make the team as he’s our only RHS who can PK except Manson.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras should not be in the nhl to start the season.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
As I said in the other thread I would try to create lines matching players strengths and try and deploy them properly. Given we lack true game breakers I think it’s our best chance to match up well against other teams forward lines. Henrique last year put up some really good defensive metrics and using the eye test he’s also good defensively which is why I think he can be the pivot on a semi shutdown line. I also don’t think we have enough talent to try and spread it over three hybrid type lines which is why my line of thinking is the below.

So I would run with:

Rakell Getzlaf Terry

Terry really showed a willingness to shoot in his last stint here and looked ready to emerge as a top 6 forward so I think this line works. I also think we are wasting Rakell and Getzlaf’s offensive talents if we don’t try them together again. The line won’t be good defensively but I would try and shelter them, giving them the third toughest minutes defensively.

Heinen Henrique Silfverberg.

All three are very good defensively (and in Silfs case elite). I would match them against other teams top lines and get them to do a fair amount of heavy lifting to try and free up our offensive talents to try and produce for us.

Two of Zegras/Comtois/Jones/Milano/UFA to play wing with Steel as C.

Possibly I would swap Terry and one of these wingers on the top line depending on who shows chemistry with who. I would shelter the hell out of these guys and try and get them out only for offensive zone starts. Ideally we sign some sort of vet as the second winger and only have one of the kids playing wing here. If these guys are all too suspect defensively I would use two of them and have Rowney babysit them, using Backes on the 4th line.

Deslauriers Grant Rowney

gritty 4th line that can play tough defensive minutes and come out giving up less goals than they score. Mix in Backes on occasion.

Spare forwards would be Backes and someone like Carrick.

Lindholm Manson

Self explanatory. They do the heavy lifting defensively.

Fowler Shattenkirk.

Again self explanatory. I would shelter them a little bit. Cam can cover for Shattenkirks defensive miscues and lack of foot speed. Both excellent at moving the puck from the defensive zone.

Larsson/Guhle/Djoos/Curran Hakanpaa

Let these guys fight it out for spots. I like Hakanpaa to make the team as he’s our only RHS who can PK except Manson.

I thought Milano looked good with Getz last year. I think he gets a top six role - certainly ahead of Heinen who seems like a third line guy to me.

I think Curran gets a shot playing the right side on the third pair - another PP option. Guhle and Larsson better show in camp - they're at risk of being traded (even before camp) or sent down for the year.

Final point - the schedule is expected to be condensed due to covid. More back to backs and games strung closely together. Depth will be a huge issue. This is one of the reasons teams are spending bigly on backup goalies even if they have top goalies who play a lot (montreal). I fully expect the ducks to rest players and/or have guys coming/going from SD, not to mention the inevitable injuries.

Given these issues, it makes me wonder how long the ducks will wait on Miller unless they're comfortable going with Stolarz (which maybe they should be).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Thought I'd had fun with the forward lineup. Although Zegras is being baby sat by Silf, Zegras is getting the Ducks best two finishers on the team with Rakell and Silf. Also, I wanted to avoid putting Terry with Zegras because I feel it will be like putting Terry with Getz, both want to pass and neither rarely shoots. Zegras does shoot well, but will he at this stage?

Steel-Getz-Heinen
Milano-Rico-Terry
Rakell-Zegras-Silf
Deslauries-Grant-Rowney
Backes​

As for the blue line, I'd have to agree with @Bergey37 on balancing the blue line. The reason I paired Shattenkirk with Lindholm is to protect Fowler. Fowler worked well with a stay-at-home defenseman last year. You can see the offensive mind in Fowler working knowing his six is always covered. I like that Fowler!

Lindholm-Shattenkirk
Fowler-Manson
Djoos-Curran
Hakanpaa​

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Manson thought he was an offensive defensemen last year....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->