Speculation: 2020-21 Projected Lineup

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
A lot of other team boards have this thread and since there probably won't be much else to talk about in regards to the Ducks for quite some time, I figured we might as well speculate. As of right now, my projected lineup would be as follows.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Zegras (9 games)/Terry
Milano-Steel-Silfverberg
Jones-Henrique-Heinen
Deslauriers-Badini-Rowney
Backes
Agozzino

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Larsson/Guhle
Djoos/Curran-Gudbranson

Gibson
Miller
I would trade Rakell, shop Manson (probably wait until the deadline to move him), shop Henrique though I think ultimately we keep him until more of our young players break out, and trade one of Guhle and Larsson due to waiver eligibility. I think Badini deserves a look in the bottom 6, though I'm not sure if he'll claim the spot right away or if he'll end up getting sent down pretty quickly. I also would not be surprised to see Lundestrom become a full timer at some point during the season,
If we traded those two and say we got someone like Raymond with our pick and traded up to get Drysdale+ from the trade assets of Rakell and Manson, we would have the best young core in the league and have tons of space to go after a big fa. It would probably still take another year or two to finish the rebuild but we would be cup contenders in no time.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
lol, lots of people on the moving Rakell train. Would personally move Manson since I think he would command more but it is what it is.

I think they both have their value. I don't see us moving Manson unless another trade brings in a top 4 RHD. Or a prospect that is ready to step into a top 4 role, like Timmins or Bouchard.

I think the team loves Manson too much for that to happen.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With these lineups we're guaranteed another top 5 pick at the very least.

With the way how kind the lottery has been to Anaheim they would finish 2nd worst and still somehow fall out of the Top 5, NHL would find a way.

I still think the team was better than their record indicated last season and if the D was not so injured maybe the Ducks get into the play in round.

Still need to find a Top 6 scorer. Which I think it priority over another Top 4D, imo for now. I think their D is slightly above average when healthy and with Gibson on his game they won’t bleed goals against.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
With the way how kind the lottery has been to Anaheim they would finish 2nd worst and still somehow fall out of the Top 5, NHL would find a way.

I still think the team was better than their record indicated last season and if the D was not so injured maybe the Ducks get into the play in round.

Still need to find a Top 6 scorer. Which I think it priority over another Top 4D, imo for now. I think their D is slightly above average when healthy and with Gibson on his game they won’t bleed goals against.
I agree about the greater need for a top-6 scorer; unfortunately, no guarantee that we'll get one. I was rather intrigued by the idea of trading for Perron, but the only way STL moves him is if they REALLY need space to pay for Pietrangelo - not likely IMHO.

So things being as they are, I'd suggest:

Rakell/Getz/Terry
Comtois/Rico/Heinen
Jones/Steel/Silf
DesL/Backes/Rowney

Lindholm/Manson
Fowler/Guds
Larsson/Djoos/Curran

I don't think Milano makes the team ahead of Comtois, but he might. It's also possible that either Jones or Terry could be moved in a package for the top-6 FW we need. Gonna be a long summer/fall.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree about the greater need for a top-6 scorer; unfortunately, no guarantee that we'll get one. I was rather intrigued by the idea of trading for Perron, but the only way STL moves him is if they REALLY need space to pay for Pietrangelo - not likely IMHO.

So things being as they are, I'd suggest:

Rakell/Getz/Terry
Comtois/Rico/Heinen
Jones/Steel/Silf
DesL/Backes/Rowney

Lindholm/Manson
Fowler/Guds
Larsson/Djoos/Curran

I don't think Milano makes the team ahead of Comtois, but he might. It's also possible that either Jones or Terry could be moved in a package for the top-6 FW we need. Gonna be a long summer/fall.

I have high hopes for Comtois and liked what I saw when he was called up, think he has done everything he can on the AHL level
And it’s time to develop on the NHL level.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
What do you guys project Comtois as? Just curious.

Thanks!

I think he's going to be a good top 6 winger. I rate him quite highly and I see him possibly scoring over 70 points in his prime. Comtois has scoring and playmaking abilities and he's not afraid going into the crease. He has good size and fine skating. Comtois is not elite in anything, but he has a lot of tools at his disposal and a good head, so with good linemates I see him scoring 50-60 points regularly.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I think he's going to be a good top 6 winger. I rate him quite highly and I see him possibly scoring over 70 points in his prime. Comtois has scoring and playmaking abilities and he's not afraid going into the crease. He has good size and fine skating. Comtois is not elite in anything, but he has a lot of tools at his disposal and a good head, so with good linemates I see him scoring 50-60 points regularly.
People with his drive and passion and skill usually end up with very nice careers. I think he will be a guy who gets us 20 goals and 60 points avg for the next 10 seasons. I have a true feeling that he will last at least 2 long contracts with the ducks

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
What do you guys project Comtois as? Just curious.

Thanks!

I've always thought expectations have been a bit too high on Comtois, mostly due to his blazing hot start in the NHL. It doesn't seem like people realize how small of a sample size that was, especially compared to this season where we were able to get a better idea of what we are getting. Most scouts think he projects to be more of a middle-6 winger rather than a top-6.

Scott Wheeler has a series on The Athletic where he tries to find NHL comparable for each team's top prospects and for Comtois he listed guys like Miles Wood and Luke Kunin which I think are pretty fair. He's not going to drive a line, but he'll be a role player that can contribute at around a 40-point clip. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but the Ducks are full to the brim with those kind of players.

As for the projected lineup for next season, I think it's wise to use player pairings as a general guide for the forward groupings. Eakins didn't stick with much throughout the season because there was so much player movement via trades, call-ups, injuries, etc. However, there are some tendencies I think we can expect to reemerge next season:

Rakell - Getzlaf - Heinen
Milano - Henrique - Terry
Jones - Steel - Silfverberg
Deslauriers - Backes - Rowney

Rakell is probably best used with Getzlaf and/or Silfverberg. While I like the idea of having those three together, I get the sense Eakins will stay away from putting all his eggs in one basket.

One of the things I think we learned almost without a doubt last season is that Terry should not be playing on a line with Getzlaf. They both like to hang onto the puck and control the pace. That didn't seem to help build any chemistry. However, there appeared to be some chemistry materializing between Terry and Henrique toward the latter half of the season. It would be wise to see if they can build on that.

The Jones-Steel-Kase line was highlighted quite a few times for being one of the more effective lines. With Kase now gone, I think keeping Jones and Steel together is where Eakins might lean unless Comtois beats Jones out for a spot in the lineup.

I think the fourth line seems set in stone. Guys like Agozzino or Carrick might come in to plug some holes, but other than that it probably won't change much.

It's difficult to project where Milano and Heinen will end up because of how little we saw of them with the team. It's also important to note that Milano is currently a pending RFA.

Reactions: rlstine

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Those lineups would look a little better with the bona fide NHL 1C Derek Grant in them. Am I the only one who misses him? Sadly, I don't think there's much of a chance of us re-signing him.

Reactions: dracom

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Milano-Getz-Heinen
Rakell-Henrique-Silf
Steel-Zegras-Terry
Deslauriers-Backes-Rowney
Agazzino

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudz
Djoos-Curran
Hakanpaa

*Curran shoots left, but plays both sides. I think he was quoted to preferring the right side.

I used to be against Zegras making the NHL jump, but reflecting on our talents and Zegras' year, I think he beats out Steel as 3C. Steel actually looked great playing wing with Getz as his center. So I'll keep Steel on the youth line because he's defensively sound. Line 1 defensive forward = Heinen. Line 2 defensive forward = Silf.

It's funny reading this thread b/c we're complaining about not having enough goal scoring, but we want to avoid an elite goal scorer in the draft. LoL

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's funny reading this thread b/c we're complaining about not having enough goal scoring, but we want to avoid an elite goal scorer in the draft. LoL

I think the general consensus would be that we lack elite talent In general more than any specific type of talent. Any Holtz may have an elite shot compared to his draft peers but that doesn’t mean it’s going to translate to him being a sure thing as an elite NHL goal scorer. Posters are preferring players with a more diverse skillset and who should be more capable of driving play at the next level.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think the general consensus would be that we lack elite talent In general more than any specific type of talent. Any Holtz may have an elite shot compared to his draft peers but that doesn’t mean it’s going to translate to him being a sure thing as an elite NHL goal scorer. Posters are preferring players with a more diverse skillset and who should be more capable of driving play at the next level.

Why is Holtz' talent not translate to a sure thing as an NHL goal scorer, but other prospects will translate to a sure thing at the NHL level? That's that inequality in thought that I don't get. Again, Central Scouting EU has Holtz ranked as the 2nd best prospect, above Raymond.

Against men, Holtz did better than Raymond.

Raymond: 33 games, 4 goals (16th on team), 6 assists (18th), and 10 points (17th)
Holtz: 35 games, 9 goals (5th on team), 7 (14th), and 16 points (10th)​

The most goals scored was 17 goals for both teams, 38-year old Joel Lundqvist for Raymond's team and 32-year old Patrick Berglund for Holtz' team. DD denoted the reason Holtz adapted better than Raymond was because Holtz was able to get more physical. His coach and scouts reiterate Holtz' motor/drive is very high and that's the huge reason why he'll be produce. Again, DD noticed this watching Holtz' season and saw that growth due to his motor.

Between Raymond and Holtz, we already know Holtz has already adapted faster against men, though not possessing the high ceiling talent of Raymond. That high ceiling rating was seen readily against players Raymond's age. DD stated that Raymond was the superior player in the junior league, but that flipped at a men's league (SHL). If Holtz produced better than Raymond at the same level of play against men, then why does Holtz get a knock? Holtz also produced more assists than Raymond too.

The CHL isn't played against men. It's more difficult to tell if players will adapt to playing against men.

We all can fall in love with potential, but do we put the actuality of reaching that potential? Playing in the SHL does give us better insight on that transition. That's a big factor as to why Stutzle is being looked at possibly being selected #2 overall, though he played at the DEL.

If fans love Teemu, then why isn't Holtz a viable prospect for the Ducks? Scoring a lot of goals and PP goals aren't valued factors? We're deprived at scoring ES goals as well as PP goals with only Brayden Tracey as a possible goal scorer, but a majority of this board is already down on Tracey.

What if Raymond doesn't bulk up? What if Perfetti's skating doesn't get fixed? I like Rossi, but Holtz is 8-month younger. Thus, Holtz might have more to his game than Rossi as Holtz continues to fill out (because DD noticed Holtz did increase his mass playing at the SHL level). I enjoy the high floor that Holtz brings and displayed at the SHL level. There's youtube videos on tracking both Raymond and Holtz. Holtz identifies the differences between playing against juniors and mens, which probably made him adapt faster knowing there is a huge jump, more structure, and more work involved.

But Anaheim has a lot of playmakers within their org, but no finishers. Is Tracey enough to bank upon? I don't think so.

Again, I don't mind if Anaheim does select another player, but dismissing Holtz as a possibility has me scratching my head. Trading for a known NHL goal scorer will cost more than a 6th overall pick. This kid has been known to be a goal scorer for a few years now and hasn't disappointed. Why is that? Probably because he keeps working on it - which can be attributed to his motor/drive.

The draft is a gamble and we're projecting who those players can become. Part of that process is assessing the probability of becoming that player at the NHL level. Playing at the SHL/DEL/Liiga helps to create a better projection. Remember, playing in the NHL means playing in a more physical atmosphere. Holtz is much closer to playing at the NHL level than Raymond. With Raymond, we're going to have to wait a while and hope he does pan out to his potential against men. A lot of scouts project Holtz as a first line wing, 30-goal scorer. I didn't say this, but I am repeating it. What's wrong with that?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Milano-Getz-Heinen
Rakell-Henrique-Silf
Steel-Zegras-Terry
Deslauriers-Backes-Rowney
Agazzino

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudz
Djoos-Curran
Hakanpaa

*Curran shoots left, but plays both sides. I think he was quoted to preferring the right side.

I used to be against Zegras making the NHL jump, but reflecting on our talents and Zegras' year, I think he beats out Steel as 3C. Steel actually looked great playing wing with Getz as his center. So I'll keep Steel on the youth line because he's defensively sound. Line 1 defensive forward = Heinen. Line 2 defensive forward = Silf.

Personally I’d like to see(for 9 games)
Milano Getzlaf terry
Comtois zegras Henrique
Heinen steel silfverberg(Lundy battling steel for spit)
Jones rowney/backes deslauries

lindholm Manson
Fowler gudbranson
Djoos Curran/hakanpaa

I think comtois and zegras will be good together , Henrique there as a mentor

steel playing more of a shutdown line role, which might be best for him going forward... the line does have a little offensice kick to it tho

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Why is Holtz' talent not translate to a sure thing as an NHL goal scorer, but other prospects will translate to a sure thing at the NHL level? That's that inequality in thought that I don't get. Again, Central Scouting EU has Holtz ranked as the 2nd best prospect, above Raymond.

Against men, Holtz did better than Raymond.

Raymond: 33 games, 4 goals (16th on team), 6 assists (18th), and 10 points (17th)
Holtz: 35 games, 9 goals (5th on team), 7 (14th), and 16 points (10th)​

The most goals scored was 17 goals for both teams, 38-year old Joel Lundqvist for Raymond's team and 32-year old Patrick Berglund for Holtz' team. DD denoted the reason Holtz adapted better than Raymond was because Holtz was able to get more physical. His coach and scouts reiterate Holtz' motor/drive is very high and that's the huge reason why he'll be produce. Again, DD noticed this watching Holtz' season and saw that growth due to his motor.

Between Raymond and Holtz, we already know Holtz has already adapted faster against men, though not possessing the high ceiling talent of Raymond. That high ceiling rating was seen readily against players Raymond's age. DD stated that Raymond was the superior player in the junior league, but that flipped at a men's league (SHL). If Holtz produced better than Raymond at the same level of play against men, then why does Holtz get a knock? Holtz also produced more assists than Raymond too.

The CHL isn't played against men. It's more difficult to tell if players will adapt to playing against men.

We all can fall in love with potential, but do we put the actuality of reaching that potential? Playing in the SHL does give us better insight on that transition. That's a big factor as to why Stutzle is being looked at possibly being selected #2 overall, though he played at the DEL.

If fans love Teemu, then why isn't Holtz a viable prospect for the Ducks? Scoring a lot of goals and PP goals aren't valued factors? We're deprived at scoring ES goals as well as PP goals with only Brayden Tracey as a possible goal scorer, but a majority of this board is already down on Tracey.

What if Raymond doesn't bulk up? What if Perfetti's skating doesn't get fixed? I like Rossi, but Holtz is 8-month younger. Thus, Holtz might have more to his game than Rossi as Holtz continues to fill out (because DD noticed Holtz did increase his mass playing at the SHL level). I enjoy the high floor that Holtz brings and displayed at the SHL level. There's youtube videos on tracking both Raymond and Holtz. Holtz identifies the differences between playing against juniors and mens, which probably made him adapt faster knowing there is a huge jump, more structure, and more work involved.

But Anaheim has a lot of playmakers within their org, but no finishers. Is Tracey enough to bank upon? I don't think so.

Again, I don't mind if Anaheim does select another player, but dismissing Holtz as a possibility has me scratching my head. Trading for a known NHL goal scorer will cost more than a 6th overall pick. This kid has been known to be a goal scorer for a few years now and hasn't disappointed. Why is that? Probably because he keeps working on it - which can be attributed to his motor/drive.

The draft is a gamble and we're projecting who those players can become. Part of that process is assessing the probability of becoming that player at the NHL level. Playing at the SHL/DEL/Liiga helps to create a better projection. Remember, playing in the NHL means playing in a more physical atmosphere. Holtz is much closer to playing at the NHL level than Raymond. With Raymond, we're going to have to wait a while and hope he does pan out to his potential against men. A lot of scouts project Holtz as a first line wing, 30-goal scorer. I didn't say this, but I am repeating it. What's wrong with that?

I’ll address your post when I have time to do so but want to clarify one thing that’s wrong in it that stood out right away. Rossi is not 8 months older than Holtz, the difference is only 4 months which is pretty negligible.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Personally I’d like to see(for 9 games)
Milano Getzlaf terry
Comtois zegras Henrique
Heinen steel silfverberg(Lundy battling steel for spit)
Jones rowney/backes deslauries

lindholm Manson
Fowler gudbranson
Djoos Curran/hakanpaa

I think comtois and zegras will be good together , Henrique there as a mentor

steel playing more of a shutdown line role, which might be best for him going forward... the line does have a little offensice kick to it tho
Looks like you forgot Rakell?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I traded him lol, I just didn't feel like putting a hypothetical trade... so I kept the spot empty.
Ah gotcha. Well if we assume he isn't traded id swap Rico and Rakell. Put Rico with Getz in Milanos spot and Milano and MC can duke it out for the 2LW spot. If Zegras can translate to the NHL I honestly don't hate the lineup.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What I want (post 9 games for Z):

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Milano-Henrique-Silfverberg
Heinen-Steel-Terry
Jones-Rowney-Sherwood
Backes/Deslauriers

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Guds
Djoos-Curran

what I expect:
Comtois-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Henrique-Silfverberg
Milano-Steel-Heinen
Jones-Backes-Rowney

same d

For contract status, the 9 games doesn't mean anything for Zegras, right? He's on an NHL/AHL contract and won't be sent to juniors, so if he plays 2 games or 20 games in Anaheim, a year gets burned?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad