Speculation: 2020-21 Projected Lineup

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
A lot of other team boards have this thread and since there probably won't be much else to talk about in regards to the Ducks for quite some time, I figured we might as well speculate. As of right now, my projected lineup would be as follows.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Zegras (9 games)/Terry
Milano-Steel-Silfverberg
Jones-Henrique-Heinen
Deslauriers-Badini-Rowney
Backes
Agozzino

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Larsson/Guhle
Djoos/Curran-Gudbranson

Gibson
Miller
I would trade Rakell, shop Manson (probably wait until the deadline to move him), shop Henrique though I think ultimately we keep him until more of our young players break out, and trade one of Guhle and Larsson due to waiver eligibility. I think Badini deserves a look in the bottom 6, though I'm not sure if he'll claim the spot right away or if he'll end up getting sent down pretty quickly. I also would not be surprised to see Lundestrom become a full timer at some point during the season,

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I'd like to explore trading Rakell too, but I don't think BM will based on his end of season comments.

Certain tandems I like together are Milano-Getzlaf, Rakell-Silf, and Henrique-Terry so I'd fit guys in around there.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Milano
Rakell-Steel-Silf
Heinen-Rico-Terry
Jones-Backes-Rowney

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson
Larsson-Djoos

As long as the AHL is in action I think Zegras will start there. There's also no 9 game look because of his contract. A year will be burnt no matter what.

Reactions: duxfan1101

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I have no idea how you got so enamored with Badini, but I would be surprised if he even got a game in the NHL next year.
I mean I don't see how I'm that enamored with him considering I'm projecting him to be on the fourth line, but I don't see why giving him minutes in the bottom 6 is so out of the question. I think he has the ideal skillset for the bottom 6 and I'd rather give players like him the opportunity to show they can become NHL players vs playing guys like Backes who we already know what we're getting with. This should be the focus of next season.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I mean I don't see how I'm that enamored with him considering I'm projecting him to be on the fourth line, but I don't see why giving him minutes in the bottom 6 is so out of the question. I think he has the ideal skillset for the bottom 6 and I'd rather give players like him the opportunity to show they can become NHL players vs playing guys like Backes who we already know what we're getting with. This should be the focus of next season.
I just don't get why you picked him, of all people. We didn't vote him in our top 25 prospects last year. He had a mediocre offensive season for a really good team, and I doubt you (or anyone else for that matter) saw him play enough to make a reasonable case for the rest of his game. I guess what I'm mainly wondering his what puts Badini above guys like Groulx, Morand, Dostie, De Leo, etc. other than his age?

Reactions: Paul4587

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I just don't get why you picked him, of all people. We didn't vote him in our top 25 prospects last year. He had a mediocre offensive season for a really good team, and I doubt you (or anyone else for that matter) saw him play enough to make a reasonable case for the rest of his game. I guess what I'm mainly wondering his what puts Badini above guys like Groulx, Morand, Dostie, De Leo, etc. other than his age?
I’d be fine with either Dostie or Morand getting a look at that spot, I was calling for Dostie to get a look there last season. I’m not certain De Leo will get signed for next season and Groulx I’d rather see get the opportunity to grab a top 6 role in the AHL instead of going straight to the NHL as a fourth liner. Ultimately I’m expecting it to be Badini who gets a look first which is why I put him down

Reactions: duxfan1101

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
I’d be fine with either Dostie or Morand getting a look at that spot, I was calling for Dostie to get a look there last season. I’m not certain De Leo will get signed for next season and Groulx I’d rather see get the opportunity to grab a top 6 role in the AHL instead of going straight to the NHL as a fourth liner. Ultimately I’m expecting it to be Badini who gets a look first which is why I put him down

I would have at least given Lundestrom a shot leaving Zegras and Groulx as the 1/2 punch in SD. IMO Morand is basically a bust which is a shame, I had hope for him. I also really think they are going to roll with Backes as 4c OR re-sign Grant. I'm going to take some time and post my thoughts on a line-up in a bit.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I would have at least given Lundestrom a shot leaving Zegras and Groulx as the 1/2 punch in SD. IMO Morand is basically a bust which is a shame, I had hope for him. I also really think they are going to roll with Backes as 4c OR re-sign Grant. I'm going to take some time and post my thoughts on a line-up in a bit.
Lundestrom I’m expecting to be a late season callup after we further deal from our veteran forwards at the trade deadline. I think he’ll be a mainstay on the third line starting 21-22.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Really hard to predict what will happen next year with everything going on. It wouldn’t surprise me if there is no AHL so in that case we would be better off with Zegras in the NHL even in limited minutes.

Assuming leagues are back to normal and there are minimal moves (tbh I’m not expecting any major moves even though I want to see Rakell gone) here is what I would like the lineup to be:

F:
Comtois/Milano Getzlaf Heinen
Rakell Steel Silfverberg
Comtois/Jones Henrique Terry
Deslauriers Agozzino/Rowney Rowney/Backes

Jeez that forward group is bad. Lots of depth, virtually no top end talent. Also in the mix for spots would be Zegras, Lundestrom, Sherwood and maybe someone like Grouxl could surprise.

D:
Lindholm Manson
Fowler Gudbranson
Two of Larsson/Djoos/Curran/Hakanpaa/Guhle

Djoos or Curran may be able to win a spot in the top 4 if either really impresses in which case bump Gudbransson down. Mahura will be a depth option again but he’s the only guy not waiver eligible so it’s safe to say he will be in SD most of the year barring an incredible camp .

The D if healthy (That’s a big if) is decent. Not top 10 but certainly in the upper half of the league.

Goalies
Gibson
Miller/UFA/Stolarz

in terms of 2020 picks, the only guy I can see being NHL ready at 6 is Rossi if he falls. Otherwise I can’t see anyone else cracking the lineup, even Byfield (not that he will drop to us) should get another year IMO.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

We are full of 4th line forwards as it is. Deslauriers, Jones, Rowney, Backes, Sherwood would all be playing in the 4th line over Badini. Ultimately Badini may end up a decent bottom 6 forward but there’s no indication he’s anywhere close to being there yet. He’s better served playing in the AHL and given more opportunity than playing in the NHL right away. Bottom 6 forward need development time.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
MilanoGetzTerry
RackellHenriqueComtois
HeinenSteelSilf
DesBackesRowney
JonesLundestromSheerwood
LindholmManson
FowlerGudz
DjoosCurran
GuhleHakanpaa
Gibson
Miller
Stolarz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is my guess with the the extra per position listed also.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wonder if Larsson or Guhle have enough value to get a pick for, or if not if they would clear waivers. Barring Curran not being an NHL player one is going on waivers.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s going to be interesting what the line up is going to be. There really has not been an off season yet due from the pandemic, still have the draft, and think more moves could happen. I just hope next season starts some time in 2020. But that seems to be uncertain as well.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wonder if Larsson or Guhle have enough value to get a pick for, or if not if they would clear waivers. Barring Curran not being an NHL player one is going on waivers.
I would prob move either of them for a 2nd or early 3rd at this point

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I would prefer to trade one of them for a forward of same caliber from a team having a similar situation but with forwards.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I would trade Rakell, Manson, and one of Larsson/Guhle/Mahura. Manson+ gets you a good young forward and Rakell+ the same on defense.

[ C/M/H = Comtois/Milano/Heinen ]

Trade/C/M/H - Getzlaf - Trade/C/M/H
C/M/H - Steel - Silf/Terry
C/M/H - Henrique - Silf/Terry
Deslauriers/Jones - Lundestrom/Agozzino - Rowney

Lindholm - Trade
Fowler - Gudbranson
Djoos - Hankanpaa/Larsson/Mahura/Guhle

I think the Ducks have a lot of depth players playing on lines above their skill level due to the lack of high end talent. As such, most are interchangeable looking for any chemistry. I think Lundestrom is good enough for the 4th line. The third pairing is a toss up depending on who plays the best. Still a transition/growth year. Hopefully some of the young players finally step up. It is really the only way this doesn't turn into a long stretch of bad seasons.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
If we get Rossi he could be in there, I believe he’d benefit from playing bigger, better competition than in juniors because his game looks relatively mature there. I wouldn’t be as sold on it but he wins faceoffs and I think we can put him in good positions. But more than anything i’m just bored and want to makeup four lines we can roll.

Comtois-Getz-Milano
Rakell-Henrique-Terry
Jones-Rossi-Silfverberg
Des/Rowney-Steel-Heinen

i mean get ready for another top 10 pick, but i’m cool with player development and hopefully some f***in goals here and there

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Looking at these lineups are just depressing, we have almost zero forward talent. We are so far away from being a competitive team again.

Someday (a few years if we're lucky, a lot more if we're not) we're going to have enough legit top-9 forwards to go around and we will laugh at how we squinted to see offensive potential in guys like this.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I actually think we have really nice depth, problem is top end players. We also have too many combinations, so it is tough to figure out what is going to happen.

I would not trade Rakell until you see how he plays and the young players develop. If they dont look like they are developing into top end players (see below) then trade him at deadline. If they are, then hold off for a year.

What they need to turn into within two years for the Ducks to compete. This is not based on style of play per se, just on the same level of achievement (I tried to stay with Ducks players as comparisons). I personally do not think the 6 below, including Rakell, Heinen and Silf will all be on the team in two years, but if they develop, then a few can be packaged for a someone.

Terry - Palmieri
Steel - Karlsson
Comtois - Penner
Milano - Kunitz
Jones - Beleskey
Lundstrom - Pahlsson

No superstars, but good top 6 (9) talent for the most part
if you add Zegras and Rossi, maybe you have Getz play another year or two, then make the trade for the missing piece.

If they dont develop into players of that caliber within a couple years, then we wont compete for 5 years so trade and build for five years from now.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
so like up for next year to start
Comtois-Getz-Milano
Rakell-Rico-Silf
Heinen-Steel-Terry
Jones-Backes-Deslauries

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
so like up for next year to start
Comtois-Getz-Milano
Rakell-Rico-Silf
Heinen-Steel-Terry
Jones-Backes-Deslauries
I kinda like that... but I feel like I would swap terry and silf.... terry has showed a little chemistry with Henrique... and that steel line becomes a somewhat shutdown line with scoring potential.

So
Comtois- Getzlaf- Milano
Rakell - Henrique - terry
Heinen - steel - silfverberg
Jones - backes/Lundy- deslauries

lindholm Manson
Fowler gudbranson
Djoos Curran/hakanpaa

mahura/larsson/Benoit potentially getting looks too

I hope we move guhle and try to move up in draft or grab another 2nd or 3rd

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012