2020-21 Norris Trophy candidates: Adam Fox, Victor Hedman, Cale Makar

NYRfan39

Dec 29, 2011
So, you picked the two teams in the division that hardly played defense and were pretty much the two soft teams among the top 4. OVERRATED!!
You like the cherry pick your data. O fox is overrated because he played against bad teams, see look here. Lets look at hsi stats agaisnt good teams. O wait the 2 best teams dont count because they were horrid defensively. Dude just get over it. Fox is not overrated, you will just try to find any way to justify why hes overrated when he clearly is not. Do you watch him play? Seems like you dont.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
You like the cherry pick your data. O fox is overrated because he played against bad teams, see look here. Lets look at hsi stats agaisnt good teams. O wait the 2 best teams dont count because they were horrid defensively. Dude just get over it. Fox is not overrated, you will just try to find any way to justify why hes overrated when he clearly is not. Do you watch him play? Seems like you dont.

Adam's Fox is James Patrick! 2ndary assist master!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
How do you give the Norris to someone who got Abused by the Islanders consistantly, racked up a bunch of secondary assists against the 3 worst teams in hockey, and only scored 5 goals, thats horrible! when you have a guy in Arizona on a worst team that Scored 18 goals, 23 assists in Jakob Chychrun. Last I looked its harder to score goals than get 2ndary assists against the Sabres, Devils, and Flyer! Talk about being stiffed! Could you imagine if Chychrun played 24 games against the Sabres, Devils, and Flyers, he may have scored 28 goals and 35 assists!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I feel like some people want to pretend this season wasn't extremely unusual in a way that has never before been seen and probably will never be seen again.
No, Tampa did not play against Buffalo, Philly or NJD, three of the four teams that allowed the most goals in the league. Out of the Norris nominees, Fox is the only one that had that opportunity, and statistically; it helped him a lot.

Fox had 25 games without a point. 17 of them came against Boston, NYI, and Washington.

In the last 6 games of the season, which was like a playoff series for the Rangers to determine if they were going to go through to the post-season, Fox had 0 points and -4 against those 3 teams.

Even a Hedman at 70-80% is imo the best d-man out of these 3 nominees if you actually want to win something.

Hedman is the best d-man in the group. Hedman clearly wasn't himself the 2nd half of the season. Shouldn't have been nominated, really.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Hedman is the best d-man in the group. Hedman clearly wasn't himself the 2nd half of the season. Shouldn't have been nominated, really.

Well, isn't that the point, the best defenseman in hockey should get the Norris, not the one on a bad team that padded stats against 3 of the worst teams in hockey. BTW, 5 goals is actually not very good with the PP the Rangers put out there!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well, isn't that the point, the best defenseman in hockey should get the Norris, not the one on a bad team that padded stats against 3 of the worst teams in hockey. BTW, 5 goals is actually not very good with the PP the Rangers put out there!

The defenseman that had the best season. That isn't always the best defenseman and shouldn't be this year. Not here to pump or deflate Fox's tires, just don't think Hedman should have been nominated with his lackluster 2nd half.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
The defenseman that had the best season. That isn't always the best defenseman and shouldn't be this year. Not here to pump or deflate Fox's tires, just don't think Hedman should have been nominated with his lackluster 2nd half.

Wasn't Hedman hurt most of the 2nd half of the season and still played! If that is the case, then he desreves the Norris!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019

OH BTW, not helping your team make the playoffs and getting abused when it counted most, while padding stats against the 3 worst team in hockey, I don't consider a good year!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In the last 6 games of the season, which was like a playoff series for the Rangers to determine if they were going to go through to the post-season, Fox had 0 points and -4 against those 3 teams.

You do realize that the Rangers were eliminated after I think 2 or 3 of those games? And he was saddled with carrying around bad defensemen because the next two best Rangers defensemen got injured and they were playing very short handed on defense at the end of the season.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Geez, all of these solid facts by Reggie has officially made me change my mind about Fox. Watching him every game this season was merely an aberration. Here I was watching him shut down the oppositions top lines, make opposing players look silly, and scoring a ton of points thinking he was good and all along he sucked. Man, I'm sure glad there are guys like Reggie around to set us dopes straight.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I don’t know why some people think the opinions of NHL players matter. Hockey isn’t that complicated. You don’t need to be a pro hockey player to understand the game.

I think there are some things that you gain additional nuance or insight on when you actively do it. Particularly when you devote your whole life to it and you're among the best in the world.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there are some things that you gain additional nuance or insight on when you actively do it. Particularly when you devote your whole life to it and you're among the best in the world.

If it’s an equal playing field, I agree. How much hockey do you think these players watch? How many of them do you even think know what a stat like GAR is? I think fans likely have way more info to go on, even if players would be better able to form opinions based on that information.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If it’s an equal playing field, I agree. How much hockey do you think these players watch? How many of them do you even think know what a stat like GAR is? I think fans likely have way more info to go on, even if players would be better able to form opinions based on that information.

How many of us know what it feels like to think, "I shouldn't even bother on this breakaway because Victor Hedman is behind me."

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How many of us know what it feels like to think, "I shouldn't even bother on this breakaway because Victor Hedman is behind me."

None, but that doesn’t mean knowing or not knowing that qualifies someone to answer these questions about the best players.

What if you replace Hedman with Chara? Do we believe it because an NHL player thinks Chara is the toughest to get by? No, obviously not. We know Chara isn’t that good anymore.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
None, but that doesn’t mean knowing or not knowing that qualifies someone to answer these questions about the best players.

What if you replace Hedman with Chara? Do we believe it because an NHL player thinks Chara is the toughest to get by? No, obviously not. We know Chara isn’t that good anymore.
Which is why NHL players don't vote for him.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Sure, but you don't have a rolodex of 600 players and how they played this year. 3/4 of them didn't play against Hedman this year. Most of them didn't watch the Lightning in the regular season either, you can tell most journalists and most fans only watch one or two divisions. In this case Bolts fans would tell you that Hedman was bad (and no I don't average or mediocre, I mean bad) for about the last 6-8 weeks of the season. He had an injury that ruined his year. Almost no mention of it anywhere outside of the division.

Are the players wrong in saying Hedman is a great D-man? No, they just haven't updated their info since the last time they thought "wow Hedman is great", which for them might have been a year or two ago. It's sort of like how the players kept voting for Carey Price as best goalie even in the seasons where he was bad. It was a well-earned honor, just completely out of date!

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I don’t know why some people think the opinions of NHL players matter. Hockey isn’t that complicated. You don’t need to be a pro hockey player to understand the game.
They do matter, because these are the guys that actually play the game. But this year's polls are meaningless because they are based on historical opinions. Surprised Kucherov wasn't the top winger despite sitting out all season.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Don't care...Makar and Fox are both pretty equally deserving. All I know is Fox and Makar should and will demand contracts that will finally silence the groups of fans of the teams they play for who constantly flex how great the NYR/COL cap situations are :nod:

Don't get me wrong...they'll be worth every penny. But man, if Subban got 8 x 9 mil 7 years ago after winning a shortened-season Norris with a much smaller cap at the time (it was 69 mil when he signed), these guys should both break the f***ing bank.

Reactions: John Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad