Speculation: 2020-21 no.1 goalie

Who do you think will be the no. 1 goalie in 2020-21?

• Total voters

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hopefully they do 3 years at 6m for Lehner with the flat cap, then he can make his $$$ on another 3 year deal.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think 4*5 would keep him.

That would be a steal. Sure the flat cap will distort the market a bit, but here's the biggest contracts right now. If you think he's taking less than Martin Jones or Jimmy Howard you need to come to grips with reality.

NHL Rankings

At a minimum his agent has to be looking at the Hellebuyck deal as the opening for negotiation on an AAV level, might be willing to shorten the term due to Lehner's age. I'm thinking 4 yrs/$27m is about where a "market" contract slots in.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I mean, if they were trading Stephenson anyway, just package him with Fleury at up to 40% retained then. 2.8M for two years is better to me than a buyout. Fleury at 4.2M, Stephenson signed around 2.5M for a late pick or prospect should be appealing enough to somebody.

Stephenson is very useful to VGK, but most GMs are going to question his fit or value. Fair or not think of it from an outsiders view, this guy was given away this season, will he find success with another team? Very few GMs are going to buy that story, especially if it comes with a $2.5m contract. Its similar to the value the league would have for Reaves at his contract, everyone is going to say that guy only works in Vegas for whatever reason.

I think if MAF gets moved its instructive to look at other contract dumps, but recognizing he still has plenty to contribute. Its not a Patrick Marleau situation where you really don't want him playing, but its also a few years of contract so its not something you just eat for a season and then are moving on. I could see it being a situation like that where if the team signs Lehner and has to dump MAF's contract for cap purposes, they send him to a team with some space for a couple of draft picks and maybe a role player with a modest cap hit like Holden or a signed Cousins, with perhaps some AHL depth coming back.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stephenson is very useful to VGK, but most GMs are going to question his fit or value. Fair or not think of it from an outsiders view, this guy was given away this season, will he find success with another team? Very few GMs are going to buy that story, especially if it comes with a $2.5m contract. Its similar to the value the league would have for Reaves at his contract, everyone is going to say that guy only works in Vegas for whatever reason.

I think if MAF gets moved its instructive to look at other contract dumps, but recognizing he still has plenty to contribute. Its not a Patrick Marleau situation where you really don't want him playing, but its also a few years of contract so its not something you just eat for a season and then are moving on. I could see it being a situation like that where if the team signs Lehner and has to dump MAF's contract for cap purposes, they send him to a team with some space for a couple of draft picks and maybe a role player with a modest cap hit like Holden or a signed Cousins, with perhaps some AHL depth coming back.

Whatever works I think I'm alright with. I am very upset at MAF for being so selfish at this time. If he was upset I can understand, if he wanted a trade I can understand but I'm not for this. He has to go. We can't let stars think they run the team and this is a pretty easy decision to choose the coach in this feud. You can't go back to him as your starter and 7 million for a disgruntled backup doesn't work either.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think a base of MAF with 1m retention - to buy out Bjugstad for Pittsburgh - could work.

Penguins probably don't want to spend 3.5m to buy out his final year. His buyout cap hit is 600k next year, and 1.75m the following year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think a base of MAF with 1m retention - to buy out Bjugstad for Pittsburgh - could work.

Penguins probably don't want to spend 3.5m to buy out his final year. His buyout cap hit is 600k next year, and 1.75m the following year.

So, it's almost as if the Penguins would be paying him the equivalent of 3 million dollars to play there. After all the money going back and forth. Bjugstad off their books (replacing him with someone making 1 million) and the retention.

At least for the first season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So, it's almost as if the Penguins would be paying him the equivalent of 3 million dollars to play there. After all the money going back and forth. Bjugstad off their books (replacing him with someone making 1 million) and the retention.

At least for the first season.

It's more a case of if Pittsburgh is going to spend over 5m in actual dollars on a player, they should spend it on MAF and get the Bjugstad contract off their books. Then they can move out Murray for assets.

They can have Cousins/Stephenson and Holden too if need be, to get some low cost roster players to fill out their lineup.

In fact, I don't think Vegas would need to retain at all if they were willing to take care of the Bjugstad contract for Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Another one - saw this on the Hurricanes board. MAF for Gardiner.
They both have almost 12.5m remaining on their salary, Vegas can flip Gardiner with about 1.5m retention to a team like Ottawa or buy him out at an annual cap hit which fluctuates between 1m-1.5m.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lehner wants one thing above everything else: Term.

6x6 is what I'm guessing he'll look for. Could see AAV go somewhat lower.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
They both have almost 12.5m remaining on their salary, Vegas can flip Gardiner with about 1.5m retention to a team like Ottawa or buy him out at an annual cap hit which fluctuates between 1m-1.5m.
I hope we get more than Jake Gardiner for MAF. IMO, what Gardiner could bring to the team is already filled by players already there. You want him to be what Shea Theodore does even better.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I hope we get more than Jake Gardiner for MAF. IMO, what Gardiner could bring to the team is already filled by players already there. You want him to be what Shea Theodore does even better.

You missed the part where I said he gets bought out or flipped.

I don't see teams giving up an asset to get a goalie owed 12.5m during this pandemic.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
You missed the part where I said he gets bought out or flipped.

I don't see teams giving up an asset to get a goalie owed 12.5m during this pandemic.
Definitely did, happened more than once the past few days. Too much coffee, I believe.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

This interesting, Ottawa has seven picks in the first few rounds, Gardner at 2.55M could be worth their own 2nd since they have three firsts and three more 2nds. At some point hoarding picks isn't as good as spending some for some veteran leadership to help all your picks, that you won't sign some anyway or they won't make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->