Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Still to this day don't know why Kopi don't use his shot more, he'd be a 30 goals per year player.

I still recall reading a 2005 draft publication and 1 scout calling Anze "possibly the best goal scorer in the draft"...which of course, included Crosby #1 overall that year.
He should have been using his shot more, all of his career...and getting him off the half wall on the PP, for that matter. He could probably have 50+ more career goals
by now.

Reactions: ru4reals

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I still recall reading a 2005 draft publication and 1 scout calling Anze "possibly the best goal scorer in the draft"...which of course, included Crosby #1 overall that year.
He should have been using his shot more, all of his career...and getting him off the half wall on the PP, for that matter. He could probably have 50+ more career goals
by now.
Agreed. It’s probably the only real criticism of his game, because his shot is elite.

The video also really highlighted to me just how relevant Brown still is. Even with goals he didn’t get a point on for he was a factor by screening or being in position too force a deflection or similar. He’s going to be important in helping develop our young centers, for sure.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Still to this day don't know why Kopi don't use his shot more, he'd be a 30 goals per year player.

Unfortunately Kopitar has it in his brain to pass first even though his shot is great. Ducks have the same problem with Getzlaf. Both big bodies with great shots that prefer to play the passing game and find the open man rather than use their shot.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The question for Kopitar isn’t how come he doesn’t shoot more. It’s how many times per game is he in a dangerous position to shoot from. To my eye, he picks his spots. Based on what is accepted, he defers offense for defense. When he does score with his shot, I’m of the belief that it comes on the rush and not from a possession play.

Combine being a possession team with a #1C who favors defense and you can expect to get an average of 23 goals a year from that position. The only problem there is paying that player one of the highest salaries in the league.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kopitar's shot mentality portrays a pretty clear narrative throughout his career. Early on, he was regularly taking 200+ shots a season, with an average shooting percentage of around 11%.

Since 13/14, though, he has only reached 200 shots (exactly 200, in fact) twice. His shooting percentage since then has gone up, though. Since 13/14, he has posted a shooting percentage of 14% or higher in all but two seasons (14/15 - 11.9%, 16/17 - 8%, yikes).

So basically, as Kopitar has gotten older, he is taking fewer shots, but he's also taking better shots.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Yeah, I don't see us making the playoffs with this alignment. The top 2 is already going to be occupied by Avs and Golden Knights. Don't think the Stars will regress and will probably do good enough to get a spot as well. On second thought, if we can be better than Ducks, Coyotes, Sharks, and Wilds, then things may look all right. Not the worst spot to be in.

What is the Kings' goal if this alignment sticks? Around 20th place and below of the league hoping to win a low % lottery pick? Barely making the playoffs and maybe try to get the younger guys some playoff games?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, I don't see us making the playoffs with this alignment. The top 2 is already going to be occupied by Avs and Golden Knights. Don't think the Stars will regress and will probably do good enough to get a spot as well. On second thought, if we can be better than Ducks, Coyotes, Sharks, and Wilds, then things may look all right. Not the worst spot to be in.

What is the Kings' goal if this alignment sticks? Around 20th place and below of the league hoping to win a low % lottery pick? Barely making the playoffs and maybe try to get the younger guys some playoff games?

They will probably follow the NBA and again have the 'play-in' round....so it's feasible the Kings could qualify for that, no?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They will probably follow the NBA and again have the 'play-in' round....so it's feasible the Kings could qualify for that, no?
I could see the NHL doing it simply as a way to increase revenue, especially with the season reportedly being shortened to 60 games .

The wrench in the equation is NBC. There is a rumor out there that they told the NHL done by Mid july because of the Olympics.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I could see the NHL doing it simply as a way to increase revenue, especially with the season reportedly being shortened to 60 games .

The wrench in the equation is NBC. There is a rumor out there that they told the NHL done by Mid july because of the Olympics.

yeah, that's for real. Why do you see it being an issue?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
the kings missed the playoffs badly, the aging unmotivated roster hasn't played a competitive game of hockey in 9 months and they left free agency with Mark Alt, why are playoffs being discussed?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
the kings missed the playoffs badly, the aging unmotivated roster hasn't played a competitive game of hockey in 9 months and they left free agency with Mark Alt, why are playoffs being discussed?

If there is a play-in round, the Kings would prob need 60-64 points in 60 games to qualify....based on how they ended the season last year, it's worth talking about. You can't tell me the Kings are going to be a top-3 pick every season just because that's how they ended it the previous season, at some point things have to turn around.

What's next, you gonna predict that the TBL is going to win the cup in '21?? Bold....

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Did you not see the 7 game win streak to close out the season? We also got siginificantly younger during this off-season. Not saying I expect playoffs either, but they will be younger and hungrier.

Reactions: Choralone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad