Prospect Info: 2020-21 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Your friendly neighborhood draft writer featured Gritsyuk in his "draft sleeper" series and then ranked him as high as anyone. To quote myself from day 2 of the 2019 draft:

Gritsyuk was #77 on my board. Just high, high-end offensive skills -- the skating, the vision, the shot. He's definitely the Bratt/Talvitie "could be a top 6 winger in the NHL" Devils 6th round pick, only Shero screwed up and accidentally took him in the 5th round.

In open space, he's an absolute force -- the kid can fly and create offense like nobody's business. If he can add 20 pounds of muscle to his slight frame and develop a bit of snarl, Gritsyuk is an absolute steal here.
The Russian prospects guy Caser liked him as well too, he compared him to Kaprizov and mentioned him as a potential steal in his pre-draft preview.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Russian prospects guy Caser liked him as well too, he compared him to Kaprizov and mentioned him as a potential steal in his pre-draft preview.

Yeah, I remember doing a ton of research on Gritsyuk. I really liked him, but my problem with some of the lower-level European prospects is that I just can't find as much film on them as with the North American prospects. I flirted with the idea of him in my second round, but I was worried my education level on him was not high enough to justify it.

Ultimately, I was thrilled when the Devils took Gritsyuk in the 5th round. I love swinging for the fences with some of the later picks, and I'm glad the Devils scouting team sees things the same way.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, I remember doing a ton of research on Gritsyuk. I really liked him, but my problem with some of the lower-level European prospects is that I just can't find as much film on them as with the North American prospects. I flirted with the idea of him in my second round, but I was worried my education level on him was not high enough to justify it.

Ultimately, I was thrilled when the Devils took Gritsyuk in the 5th round. I love swinging for the fences with some of the later picks, and I'm glad the Devils scouting team sees things the same way.
For someone who’s very focused on offensive upside and more dynamic boom prospects, the Devils drafting a seemingly endless number of big defensemen before grabbing Gritsyuk and Pasic must have felt like Ike Turner-style abusive mind games. It’s like bringing flowers to Tina after putting her in the hospital. (I’m going to pre-apologize for that metaphor.) Obviously, you’re a bigger fan of pursuing that type of player and Case is your boy.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
For someone who’s very focused on offensive upside and more dynamic boom prospects, the Devils drafting a seemingly endless number of big defensemen before grabbing Gritsyuk and Pasic must have felt like Ike Turner-style abusive mind games. It’s like bringing flowers to Tina after putting her in the hospital. (I’m going to pre-apologize for that metaphor.) Obviously, you’re a bigger fan of pursuing that type of player and Case is your boy.

My philosophy is that defensemen supplement the offense, but their primary job is to defend. Forwards support their defense, but their primary job is to create scoring chances.

I know, I know -- it's a crazy, revolutionary theory haha.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I would love to see him torch the league, get some confidence. Probably one of the more improved player on Binghamton last season. Used in some key situations on the 2nd/3rd line late in the season.

Down the stretch that whole team improved in leaps and bounds. Hopefully an AHL season can happen in some capacity in 2021. I think with a fresh start and a bit of reinforcement on defense and maturation of the younger players the team could surprise and surprise NJ with how many viable prospects they actually have.

Reactions: nugg

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I was reading SHL teams don’t want take many guys who may plan on leaving in December or January when the NHL comes back.
It was the same during the lockout as well if I recall correctly. That's why lots of players went to the Allsvenskan and Liiga instead.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Not great - Misyul's Lokomotiv team apparently forfeited a game today because too many of their players are sick with COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->