Prospect Info: 2020-21 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
A 19 year old in the top 6 of the KHL is quite impressive.
I wish we had more in depth info on those two. They seem to be developing quite well. Pasic also seemed to have a decent season in Sweden. There are several others I've been following. Notably Hellickson from Notre Dame. I feel his game can translate to the pro level and I'm interested in seeing what Cole Brady does with Arizona State after an ok year in the USHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
wonder if we're just gonna bother not signing him, how long do we have his rights for anyway? end of this coming year? if there's not hockey being played in his school, then what's he gonna do

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hellickson is already 22 and the organization may see him as a lesser prospect than several of the guys on the horizon like Bahl Okhotoyuk Vukojevic, Smith, Walsh, and Misyul (apologies for any misspellings). I watched at least a handful of Notre Dame games last season and he looked steady to my eyes but nothing stood out. Maybe there will be some sort of shortened season in the new year for NCAA teams and he can up his game enough to interest NJ or another team to sign him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I hate this. I want him out of Russia and over in the US. I feel like they muck around with development too much.

For a player of Misyul's caliber, this shouldn't be an issue - he was getting 15 minutes a game in the playoffs. So long as he plays regularly, I don't see the issue. The problem is with prospects who are slightly worse than Misyul who don't get any playing time.

That said, I have no idea why he would sign such an extension or why it would be offered.

My3Sons

Sponsor
For a player of Misyul's caliber, this shouldn't be an issue - he was getting 15 minutes a game in the playoffs. So long as he plays regularly, I don't see the issue. The problem is with prospects who are slightly worse than Misyul who don't get any playing time.

That said, I have no idea why he would sign such an extension or why it would be offered.

What was stated by a couple of folks who follow Russian prospects is that this is some sort of decent payday for him. If he gets 2 or 3 million for a season that will help cushion the blow of his ELC in North America presumably. I also think he has no interest in coming here to play in the AHL. Maybe the extra year allows him to develop the offensive side of his game a bit more.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
What was stated by a couple of folks who follow Russian prospects is that this is some sort of decent payday for him. If he gets 2 or 3 million for a season that will help cushion the blow of his ELC in North America presumably. I also think he has no interest in coming here to play in the AHL. Maybe the extra year allows him to develop the offensive side of his game a bit more.
Yep. I think the plan would be to come over directly to the NHL at 23 years old.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Off hand that sounds similar to the path that Vladislav Gavrikov did with Columbus. Gavrikov signed at 23 and made it full time this season. Gavrikov went undrafted in 2014 and went a few rounds later than expected in 2015, probably because teams knew he was planning on playing a few more years in Russia.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I hate this. I want him out of Russia and over in the US. I feel like they muck around with development too much.
It's not serious. Misyul plays in a serious team in the adult League, in which he will have high goals and strong opponents. And he will be able to have good money, significantly more than in the AHL. This is more interesting for him from the point of view of development and from the point of view of financial success. If he can't be successful in the NHL after , he will be able to return and have good money at home, as he will already have a well-deserved reputation.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It's not serious. Misyul plays in a serious team in the adult League, in which he will have high goals and strong opponents. And he will be able to have good money, significantly more than in the AHL. This is more interesting for him from the point of view of development and from the point of view of financial success. If he can't be successful in the NHL after , he will be able to return and have good money at home, as he will already have a well-deserved reputation.

I think a number of NJ fans are a bit miffed watching the Rangers sign Russian player after Russian player while the last Russian who had a choice to come here - Rykov - apparently wasn’t interested in playing for NJ but jumped at the chance to play for the Rangers. I think if Misyul is happy to play for NJ and just wants to skip the AHL that’s a valid plan and most fans would accept it and support it.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
I think a number of NJ fans are a bit miffed watching the Rangers sign Russian player after Russian player while the last Russian who had a choice to come here - Rykov - apparently wasn’t interested in playing for NJ but jumped at the chance to play for the Rangers. I think if Misyul is happy to play for NJ and just wants to skip the AHL that’s a valid plan and most fans would accept it and support it.
I've never seen any report of Rykov not wanting to play for the devils, only fan speculation.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

If he doesn't want to play for the Devils, no one will drag him into the AHL. It is worth noting that Hynes annoyed us even more seriously than is generally assumed here. The Devils have lost their reputation among Russian players and Russian hockey fans recently. Both Kalinin and Yakovlev spoke very negatively about the game under the leadership of Hynes. I understand that they are not the best players in the world, I am primarily a Devils fan, but I understand that the players may have a very different view of their personal future. Gusev`s history doesn`t help either. I hope Ruff will change a trend.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I've never seen any report of Rykov not wanting to play for the devils, only fan speculation.
Rykov said after the trade, " I'm glad I was traded." But that's all he said about New Jersey. He also noted that Fitz contacted him and thanked him, wished him good luck. After that, he started talking about russian rangers players and rebuild in NY. I`l assume that the fans misunderstood the context and made their own, incorrect conclusions.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Rykov said after the trade, " I'm glad I was traded." But that's all he said about New Jersey. He also noted that Fitz contacted him and thanked him, wished him good luck. After that, he started talking about russian rangers players and rebuild in NY. I`l assume that the fans misunderstood the context and made their own, incorrect conclusions.

The "I'm glad I was traded part" is the important point. When a player goes from NJ to the Rangers that's exactly the sort of statement that will stir up the anger of the NJ fanbase. As for your other points, it's a shame that NJ has taken a hit as an NHL destination. As for Gusev, I thought he turned it on after Hynes left and should be fairly pleased with the way the season ended.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Rykov and Maltsev were the first Devils Russian draft picks in a decade. When Rykov was dealt to the Rangers, they had Georgiev and Buchnevich on the team and Shesterkin in the system, plus they would deal for Namestnikov a few days later.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The "I'm glad I was traded part" is the important point. When a player goes from NJ to the Rangers that's exactly the sort of statement that will stir up the anger of the NJ fanbase. As for your other points, it's a shame that NJ has taken a hit as an NHL destination. As for Gusev, I thought he turned it on after Hynes left and should be fairly pleased with the way the season ended.
He was glad because he didn`t play a single game in NJD, he has friends in NYR organisation, and this words "I'm glad I was traded" hurting us because we are devils fans. For any other people it`s just words to say when you change an organization that also has the opportunity to get a good chance with interesting young partners and friends.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Rykov and Maltsev were the first Devils Russian draft picks in a decade. When Rykov was dealt to the Rangers, they had Georgiev and Buchnevich on the team and Shesterkin in the system, plus they would deal for Namestnikov a few days later.
When Rykov was drafted in 2016 both he and Shesterkin were with St Petersburg SKA. Rykov only played 10 games in the KHL that year but they both played in the VHL and were both in the KHL at St Petersburg the following season.

Buchnevich actually played part of the 2016-17 season in St Petersburg, he must have been traded there during his last season in the KHL. But, yeah, even without even knowing the personal connections, the fact that the Rangers has numerous Russian players was seen as one of the reason why they wanted him included in the deal. FYI That was Gusev’s old team, it’s a big time one so it had Dadonov, Ex-Golden Knights for three weeks Shipachyov, Kovalchuk, even Ponikarovsky.

I’m ok with the Misyul extension even though I wish it was to ‘22 rather than ‘23. He can develop in the KHL, there’s only so many spots in AHL anyway and he’s 19.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Gritsyuk could be the piece of gold we dug out of manure. Would like to see him in the KHL but his MHL production is promising.

Your friendly neighborhood draft writer featured Gritsyuk in his "draft sleeper" series and then ranked him as high as anyone. To quote myself from day 2 of the 2019 draft:

Gritsyuk was #77 on my board. Just high, high-end offensive skills -- the skating, the vision, the shot. He's definitely the Bratt/Talvitie "could be a top 6 winger in the NHL" Devils 6th round pick, only Shero screwed up and accidentally took him in the 5th round.

In open space, he's an absolute force -- the kid can fly and create offense like nobody's business. If he can add 20 pounds of muscle to his slight frame and develop a bit of snarl, Gritsyuk is an absolute steal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad