2020-21 NAHL Return To Play Plans

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
One thing to wonder about right now is also the state of the NAHL showcase in December. Right now for NCAA D1, the NCAA has a recruiting dead period period through January where coaches are not allowed to be speaking to players in person. If that is still in place come December that essentially takes the incentive out of going to the showcase for those coaches, who are a large part of that showcase. D3 coaches would still be able to go however.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
One thing to wonder about right now is also the state of the NAHL showcase in December. Right now for NCAA D1, the NCAA has a recruiting dead period period through January where coaches are not allowed to be speaking to players in person. If that is still in place come December that essentially takes the incentive out of going to the showcase for those coaches, who are a large part of that showcase. D3 coaches would still be able to go however.
Though DI coaches couldn't speak to players at the Showcase, does the restriction extend to ALL of the hockey staff members? And isn't simply watching certain players in action enough of a reason for the college coaches/staffs to attend, especially with a late NAHL start limiting the early season opportunities for assessing talent? With as much media mention as Mr. Frankenfeld & other League principals have given to the delayed NAHL Showcase, I've gotta believe all parties are formulating plans to give the talent sufficient attention to make the event a success.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Though DI coaches couldn't speak to players at the Showcase, does the restriction extend to ALL of the hockey staff members? And isn't simply watching certain players in action enough of a reason for the college coaches/staffs to attend, especially with a late NAHL start limiting the early season opportunities for assessing talent? With as much media mention as Mr. Frankenfeld & other League principals have given to the delayed NAHL Showcase, I've gotta believe all parties are formulating plans to give the talent sufficient attention to make the event a success.
Well they could still attend to see the players live in person, but the biggest advantage for the showcase is the ability to meet and give your elevator pitch about your program to all the players (in one location), so having the recruiting restriction in place would take a lot of incentive away.

Also some news on the schedule front. It's here, with division alignments and the whole works:
NAHL releases 2020-21 regular season schedule

Interestingly the Ice Wolves will be using a variety of venues until the restrictions covering crowds are lifted for their usual arena.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Also some news on the schedule front. It's here, with division alignments and the whole works:
NAHL releases 2020-21 regular season schedule ...
I'm a bit surprised the NAHL managed to hold their ground (or their ice) on starting just one weekend after the NA3. I guess they had owners clamoring to get the show going.

I've only had a chance to check one Midwest team home schedule: Janesville is on the road until November. I don't expect that to be an isolated condition, with counties & states all over the map (so to speak) with indoor gathering limits. I also expect this League schedule to be "fluid" - just like all of our lives have been for the last 6 months. Welcome to COVID Hockey. :dunno:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Also still no word on where Kenai River has set up a temporary residence yet.
KR starts playing "home games" on the last weekend of November, playing 5 games thru the first weekend in December @Breezy Point in north central Minnesota. Their true home games start @Soldatna in mid-January.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm a bit surprised the NAHL managed to hold their ground (or their ice) on starting just one weekend after the NA3. I guess they had owners clamoring to get the show going.

I've only had a chance to check one Midwest team home schedule: Janesville is on the road until November. I don't expect that to be an isolated condition, with counties & states all over the map (so to speak) with indoor gathering limits. I also expect this League schedule to be "fluid" - just like all of our lives have been for the last 6 months. Welcome to COVID Hockey. :dunno:

KR starts playing "home games" on the last weekend of November, playing 5 games thru the first weekend in December @Breezy Point in north central Minnesota. Their true home games start @Soldatna in mid-January.

Yes I think when it comes to any league's schedule this season there may be rapid changes. Thank you for saving me the trouble of going and looking for Kenai River's temporary home in Breezy Point. I did notice the entire South Division doesn't start until late October.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Gotta wait for the miracle of cold temperatures to sweep the COVID away. :rolleyes:
The optimist in me would love this to go away as quick as it came. But my optimism unfortunately conflicts with public measures during all this a lot. :(

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a month, and I swear this is relevant despite being borne out of my own curiosity.

I saw that Danbury was set to host Maryland this weekend, but Connecticut just ordered hockey shut down this weekend. I was supposed to be at a midget tournament that was wiped out because of this. Massachusetts allowed all college and professional teams to continue as normal, but obviously this does not apply to junior teams. Has the NAHL had to deal with this situation at all this season? Have there even been any rumors floating around?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I saw that Danbury was set to host Maryland this weekend, but Connecticut just ordered hockey shut down this weekend. I was supposed to be at a midget tournament that was wiped out because of this. Massachusetts allowed all college and professional teams to continue as normal, but obviously this does not apply to junior teams. Has the NAHL had to deal with this situation at all this season? Have there even been any rumors floating around?
The NAHL South Division delayed their return to play by two weeks. A quick look at the League schedule to date indicates no game cancellations so far; but both Danbury & Johnstown have been playing at home with no fans in attendance, and Maryland has played in front of significantly reduced size home crowds. So while there have been no situations so far such as your midget tourney, the NAHL has had to adapt their business operations to prevailing local restrictions.

Basil

Mar 27, 2018
The NAHL South Division delayed their return to play by two weeks. A quick look at the League schedule to date indicates no game cancellations so far; but both Danbury & Johnstown have been playing at home with no fans in attendance, and Maryland has played in front of significantly reduced size home crowds. So while there have been no situations so far such as your midget tourney, the NAHL has had to adapt their business operations to prevailing local restrictions.
I don't know about Danbury, but Johnstown is permitted to have a total attendance of 1,005. I don't know why they are stating zero attendance for their first two games, but being a season ticket holder here, I can tell you that all available tickets are being sold. Masks and temperature checks are required to enter the arena, but other than that, it seems like a normal game. Other than season ticket holders having reserved seats, all other tickets are general admission and these fans are asked to distance themselves.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don't know about Danbury, but Johnstown is permitted to have a total attendance of 1,005. I don't know why they are stating zero attendance for their first two games, but being a season ticket holder here, I can tell you that all available tickets are being sold. Masks and temperature checks are required to enter the arena, but other than that, it seems like a normal game. Other than season ticket holders having reserved seats, all other tickets are general admission and these fans are asked to distance themselves.
Thanks for adding that boots-on-the-concourse intel.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a month, and I swear this is relevant despite being borne out of my own curiosity.

I saw that Danbury was set to host Maryland this weekend, but Connecticut just ordered hockey shut down this weekend. I was supposed to be at a midget tournament that was wiped out because of this. Massachusetts allowed all college and professional teams to continue as normal, but obviously this does not apply to junior teams. Has the NAHL had to deal with this situation at all this season? Have there even been any rumors floating around?

Did they? I know NH and MA had stoppages but can't find this.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Did they? I know NH and MA had stoppages but can't find this.

Before Barclay replied, I was going to say that this was reported in an email sent to me and the team to stay home because the rinks will be closed. But, as Barclay said, it was only a few individual rinks...just the ones that we were supposed to play at.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's good to have plans ...

Corpus Christi, Jamestown, Springfield return for 2021-22 season
March 4, 2021

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced the Corpus Christi IceRays, Jamestown Rebels, and Springfield Jr. Blues have elected to return to play for the 2021-22 season. All three clubs announced back in September of 2020 that they had temporarily suspended operations for the current 2020-21 season due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“We are pleased that all three teams have navigated their way through the uncertainly of the past year and remain dedicated to providing opportunity for players moving forward during the upcoming 2021-22 season,” said NAHL Commissioner and President Mark Frankenfeld. “All our teams play an important part in the NAHL landscape and share a deep history of developing players, entertaining fans, and being an important part of their local communities.”

The Corpus Christi IceRays have been members of the NAHL since the 2010-11 season. Over the course of those 10 seasons, the IceRays have posted a 252-273-66 record in 591 NAHL regular season games. The IceRays best season in the NAHL came during the 2016-17 season when the team finished 3rd in the South Division with a 32-19-9 record. ...

The Jamestown Rebels NAHL membership has existed since 2008, and have been members of the East Division since the 2015-16 season. Over the course of their five seasons in the East Division, the Rebels have posted a 178-94-22 record in 294 NAHL regular season games. The Rebels made back-to-back appearances in the Robertson Cup Championships in 2016 and 2017 as the East Division Playoff Champions. ...

As the longest tenured membership in the league, the Springfield Jr. Blues have successfully moved nearly 400 players onto the NCAA and just over 150 players onto professional hockey. They are one of six franchises in league history to win back-to-back Robertson Cup Championships and are the only franchise to continuously play in four consecutive decades. ...

Read more at: Corpus Christi, Jamestown, Springfield return for 2021-22 season

In most cases ...

The Kansas City Scouts announced today that they have applied for and received In-active status for the 2021-22 North American Hockey League season.

The decision is based on numerous safety and logistical concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic and will allow the organization to turn its full focus towards the future.

We look forward to playing hockey in the future and have no further comment at this time.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It's a little surprising the Scouts couldn't do doubleheaders or alternate their schedule with the Mavericks in Independence until their permanent home is built, instead of sitting out another full year.

Also in retrospect maybe Lamar Hunt could have just kept them in Topeka until the arena was built?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's a little surprising the Scouts couldn't do doubleheaders or alternate their schedule with the Mavericks in Independence until their permanent home is built, instead of sitting out another full year.

Also in retrospect maybe Lamar Hunt could have just kept them in Topeka until the arena was built?
IMO, Lamar Jr. abandoned Topeka out of a combination of frustration & spite (with the latter generated by the former). He has seemed to me to lack focus on his long-term plans for building a hockey empire in the KC area, or maybe economic circumstances combined with other conditions out of his control (like arena authorities) have just stymied his progress. No matter the cause(s), this decision to sit out another NAHL season & the words used to explain it smell like something more is cooking and he's simply using the NAHL franchise as a relatively cheap pot to keep things on a low simmer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->