2020-21 NAHL Return To Play Plans

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Copying part of my post from the other thread:
Regarding the NAHL: New Mexico, Shreveport, Wichita Falls, Lone Star, and Odessa have all made statements that they are planning to play this fall after Corpus Christi and KC both suspended and there was word on Twitter the entire south may not play. Nothing from Amarillo but they did tweet about their arena putting the ice in.

Also I can't confirm yet so this is purely rumor for now, but I have word that Fairbanks will be playing in Marshall, MN until January.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Copying part of my post from the other thread:
Regarding the NAHL: New Mexico, Shreveport, Wichita Falls, Lone Star, and Odessa have all made statements that they are planning to play this fall after Corpus Christi and KC both suspended and there was word on Twitter the entire south may not play. Nothing from Amarillo but they did tweet about their arena putting the ice in. ...
The Bulls are all in, too ...

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I finally found some confirmation of the Fairbanks Ice Dogs playing in Marshall, MN for the first half of the season.

No word on where Kenai River will take up temporary residence yet but here's an interesting interview about their season preparations (I don't have time to listen to it as of typing this post so maybe a temporary home is covered in it).

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... No word on where Kenai River will take up temporary residence yet but here's an interesting interview about their season preparations (I don't have time to listen to it as of typing this post so maybe a temporary home is covered in it).

Both audio clips from the interview are transcribed in their entirety below each related clip player. Nothing said about relocation for the Brown Bears; just the GM's lament over how to accommodate a 1/2-capacity crowd for games.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Both audio clips from the interview are transcribed in their entirety below each related clip player. Nothing said about relocation for the Brown Bears; just the GM's lament over how to accommodate a 1/2-capacity crowd for games.
Well at least I'm not missing much by skipping out on taking a listen for now. I just wanted to CYA myself in case I posted that and there was talk about it in one of the clips.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
be interesting to see what the schedule looks like, if there are divisions, etc.
I don't see how NAHL teams who choose to proceed with play would survive if they didn't stick to current or revised regional divisions. Extra travel could bury them financially. Just having division teams sitting out 2020-21 is gonna put a strain on remaining teams' budgets, unless the League allows/adopts a single-location tournament-type game scheduling. I, too, am anxious to see how their schedule looks; but my stake as a fan is far less than that of the owners & the players.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I don't see how NAHL teams who choose to proceed with play would survive if they didn't stick to current or revised regional divisions. Extra travel could bury them financially. Just having division teams sitting out 2020-21 is gonna put a strain on remaining teams' budgets, unless the League allows/adopts a single-location tournament-type game scheduling. I, too, am anxious to see how their schedule looks; but my stake as a fan is far less than that of the owners & the players.

Well, we'll all see how they are going to handle this pretty soon id guess.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
be interesting to see what the schedule looks like, if there are divisions, etc.
Minus the 2 that have dropped out the South will play within their division.

The Alaska teams are currently finding temporary homes in MN for the first of the season at least. I expect there will be some blending of the two upper midwest divisions as there's some speculation that due to state regulations Springfield may not be able to play. As for the East who knows what happens there with some of those teams.

I would expect the majority of teams in the league will play though, like I said maybe some blurring of the divisional boundaries for the two intertwined divisions in and around Minnesota.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I expect there will be some blending of the two upper midwest divisions as there's some speculation that due to state regulations Springfield may not be able to play. ...
Oh sure, first you take away my Shawnee road trip option, and NOW you pour warm water on my Springfield, IL dreams for '20-'21. What's next: Tellin' me the STL Bandits are never gonna return to their old home ice? :(

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Oh sure, first you take away my Shawnee road trip option, and NOW you pour warm water on my Springfield, IL dreams for '20-'21. What's next: Tellin' me the STL Bandits are never gonna return to their old home ice? :(
I hear the golfing is good these days at Hardees Iceplex. The Janesville Jets owner has said his team will be playing so I'll allow you that relatively close road trip option. :thumbu:

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looks like I'm taking another close trip away from you @JMCx4

Cryin' shame, but totally understood. Hopefully all of their protected players can land with teams that can give them playing opportunities, and hopefully Mr. Ferguson can sustain a Springfield fanbase to resume ops in 2021-22. :crossfing

Reactions: CB1 and mk80

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Commissioner also interjected this when talking about the 2020-21 schedule building process: "We're down to one more project, hoping to land it in a good spot ... ." Indication of another NAHL team considering sitting out for the season?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This rounds out the expected teams to sit out the season.

Also still no word on where Kenai River has set up a temporary residence yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad