Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Jesus Frking Christ

I mean I doubt he’ll be claimed but why waivers and not conditioning stint? Asset/contract management? He’s done in the NHL for the year? Seems a little heavy handed .

Guessing its so they can keep him on the taxi squad to travel and practice with the NHL team while not taking a roster spot and get some AHL games in when both teams are at home.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
was looking for offense. Our d coverage is shit with MacD as is.
There is no cover for his mistakes. Its not like you are pairing him with a Matt Roy who routinely breaks in the LD. Durzi wouldn't just be thrown to the wolves, they would be rubbing him in raw meat first.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kopitar is a lot like Kershaw is with the Dodgers. They are good players and lead by example with regards to being hard workers, clean, etc. They are not molders of talent though. They are also not outspoken or leaders in the room that will stand up and get angry. It just isn't their style. The Dodgers went out and got Mookie Betts to do that heavy lifting. Doughty seems to be the one who does it for the Kings because Brown isn't that type of leader either.

The Kings need more guys who will step up and hold players accountable in the room. The problem is that a guy usually has to be a good player in order to command the respect needed to call other guys out. You can't have some plumber on the 4th line in that role. We don't have that Justin Williams, Mike Richards type of player on this team from the Forwards group.

Exactly. That's my issue with all of this "We need Kopitar to guide the youth" He isn't an outspoken guy. Kopitar is extremely passive and you can definitely see that if you've followed him your entire career. Justin Williams, Mitchell, Regehr, Richards, Greene, and even Stoll were definitely more of the leadership type. People are expecting to Kopitar to be someone he's never been. If you want a guy to help with leadership in the room you can try to find the Folignos of the NHL when the team is close to be setting up.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Maybe the Muzzin deal isn't so good now - Durzi sucks, Grunny is inconsistent and the 1st is TB, but he is no Muzzin.

Muzzin was diminishing on the Kings. The fact the Kings got Bjornfot out of the trade makes it doable. I like Grundstrom. Durzi I never had hope for.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Muzzin was diminishing on the Kings. The fact the Kings got Bjornfot out of the trade makes it doable. I like Grundstrom. Durzi I never had hope for.

i was underwhelmed at the time. Would have rather had a first and 2nd.
TB has made the deal a win for me. Doesn't mean it is a loss for the leafs

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Maybe the Muzzin deal isn't so good now - the 1st is TB, but he is no Muzzin.

Toby has been a leader on every team he's played on and just turned 20.

Muzzin didn't join the Kings until he was 23 or 24 and played 3 seasons in the AHL.

What a horrendous comparison.

** Edit 20, not 21.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Exactly. That's my issue with all of this "We need Kopitar to guide the youth" He isn't an outspoken guy. Kopitar is extremely passive and you can definitely see that if you've followed him your entire career. Justin Williams, Mitchell, Regehr, Richards, Greene, and even Stoll were definitely more of the leadership type. People are expecting to Kopitar to be someone he's never been. If you want a guy to help with leadership in the room you can try to find the Folignos of the NHL when the team is close to be setting up.

“Guide the youth” doesn’t just mean we want Kopitar up in everyone’s grill yelling at them, though. He’s almost the perfect hockey player, a coach’s kid, with detail and reverence for the game and it’s preparation. That’s as much leadership by example as one could ask for; he never has once bitched about his assignments, he just goes out there for decades and routinely crushes some of the hardest minutes in the NHL.

Now is there a passionate, vocal, accountability component we need as well? Sure. But there’s a reason you don’t lean on one guy for all of the above on ANY team and why guys like Greene were held in such reverence. It’s not like he was an amazing player, he was part of something bigger.

I don’t like this all or nothing talk, it’s sort of antagonizing because I’m pretty sure no one actively involved in these discussions believes it’s that binary.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Toby has been a leader on every team he's played on and just turned 21.

Muzzin didn't join the Kings until he was 23 or 24 and played 3 seasons in the AHL.

What a horrendous comparison.

I’d argue that even if he didn’t develop further 15 more seasons of TB is more than worth the trade on its own.

Looking around at what everyone is saying about high performance vets on this current roster I can only imagine the kind of piñata an aging Muzzin would be here. Hell anything even short of prime 2014 playoff Muzzin was a guy people couldn’t wait to get rid of, now lamenting the return when it’s playing an active important role...bollocks.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Muzzin was just terrible during the 2012-13 playoffs - since then we was great.

No doubt he was a warrrior and still is. But would you rather have Muzz for 3 more years or Tobi for the next 10?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Maybe the Muzzin deal isn't so good now - Durzi sucks, Grunny is inconsistent and the 1st is TB, but he is no Muzzin.

I said it back then that the trade was a win for the Kings if they hit on the pick. If they hit on the pick and Grundstrom is a regular 3rd or good 4th line player than it is even more of a win. Early returns say it was a win based on Bjornfot. Muzzin is now 32 and in the first year of a four year deal with a $5.625M cap hit. I'll take the Bjornfot potential over Muzzin based on where this team is at.

Moving him as early as they did also helped the team be worse for the chance of a better draft pick while also removing the risk of a catastrophic injury that tanks his value.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I like that we dealt an older asset for a trio of young players but none of them really stand out. Mikey Anderson stands out to me, TB does not.

Since when do defensemen have to stand out exactly?

Mikey Anderson is 21, and has a full year on Toby.

If you are going to compare Toby @ 20 years of age then compare it to Muzzin at 20.

*** This is worthy of a bookmark for you Mr. Utah so other posters can come back to tell you that your arguments here are ludicrous.

Last edited:

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Bjornfot so far makes the trade worth it and the hopes he keeps progressing. But I feel Grundstrom can easily be replaced and I wouldn’t be too sad to see him gone. And Druzi was just a toss in who hasn’t progressed.

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
Jesus Frking Christ

I mean I doubt he’ll be claimed but why waivers and not conditioning stint? Asset/contract management? He’s done in the NHL for the year? Seems a little heavy handed .

My guess is Bluc believe now is the best time to use waivers. Frk has only played 1.5 game in over a year, as another poster pointed out. No GM would claim a guy who hasn't played in that long. By waiving him now, before anyone gets a look at his play, it gives the Kings more flexibility to move Frk to the taxi and back later.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Interesting. If the Kings deal both Iafallo (27) and Kempe (24) for more futures...Kings may have the least amount of 23-29 yr old players in the world.
John Hoven | The Mayor@mayorNHL
28m
While 2020 sucked, 2021 is truly WILD. Iafallo just might net a first round pick in a trade. Leafs are allegedly interested in Kempe. MacDermid is getting regular games as a second-pairing D. While Luff and Frk both go on waivers by a team that's largely gone MIA for a month.

Mayor still hurt over Luff's waiving and demotion.
He was so excited to tweet about Luff's 2, 50 foot wristers that found the back of the
net in recent AHL games....cool, but those don't go in an NHL net.

John Hoven | The Mayor
@mayorNHL

23m
Luff and Frk are absolutely on the coach, not the GM.

Reactions: Piston

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Im just completely perplexed by this notion. Who has Kopitar molded yet? Why is this there such an unholy boner from you to keep him? Do you think Byfield is that bad that he doesn't have the decent hockey skill or IQ to figure that himself or take advice from the coaching staff rather than Kopitar? It's like that guy said, you can bring in players like Foligno. Other vets that aren't gonna cost an arm and a leg to guide the younger players. You dont need to let Kopitar waste away for god damn training wheels purposes. There is obviously no middle ground in this discussion so lets call it done.

Kings aren't going anywhere with Kopitar as their number one center... Why is there such a desire to let him waste away? "WE NEED A NUMBER ONE CENTER OMGGGGGGGG" Yeah. We are 26th. We need the youth to come in and the Kings need to get better assets to accelerate the transition to younger players. I'd agree with you if the Kings were 1 or 2 players from being a good team. They're not. Putting training wheels on a broken bike. Amazing.

Enjoy your Buffalo Sabers then. You clearly don't understand managing people and just want OMG ASSETS and OMG REBUILD A REBUILD.

You're right. We can call it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad