Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Kings haven't made the playoffs in what will be 3 seasons this year. Following your timeline of Doughty being the only vet left, there is no way in hell that Blake is going to come out and say that the Kings won't even be contending for the playoffs for another 4 seasons. 7 straight years of missing the playoffs and not even being close would be unacceptable and Blake/Luc would have been let go long before that timeline finished. As horrible as the Kings have been as a franchise historically, they have never missed the playoffs in 7 straight seasons.

Most prospects hit their prime around 24 yo. For Byfield that’s over 5 years from now. I don’t see any McDavid / Matthews / Eichel types in the pipeline, so the outlook is bleak next year. Adding some players via signing and trade help, but this team is a bottom five club, so leap frogging a bunch of teams to make the playoffs is betting on hope. And the next year, if Kopitar and Doughty are still the best players, well, only a wishful fan would expect some kind of major improvement.

I can tell that a few of you are the ones that ask the CEO "Are there going to be any layoffs?" at the all hands meeting after a merger is announced, and you actually expect a direct and honest answer. :loony::dunce:

We’re the customer, not the employee.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Most prospects hit their prime around 24 yo. For Byfield that’s over 5 years from now. I don’t see any McDavid / Matthews / Eichel types in the pipeline, so the outlook is bleak next year. Adding some players via signing and trade help, but this team is a bottom five club, so leap frogging a bunch of teams to make the playoffs is betting on hope. And the next year, if Kopitar and Doughty are still the best players, well, only a wishful fan would expect some kind of major improvement.

We’re the customer, not the employee.
You say customer, I say sucker... besides you’re missing the point. You’re asking for an honest answer about intentions from someone who will never give it to you. They’re selling you a product. Salesman are liars. Always have been, always will be. They will tell you anything to get your dollars and they won’t lose a lick of sleep if they lose”tomd”’s respect along the way as their taking his cash to the bank.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Lombardi's rebuild got off better and was easier because by the time they drafted Doughty, they knew they now had a franchise center and a franchise defenseman in the system. That would be like having a young Barkov and Makar right now and supplementing them moving forward. At this point it's still not clear what the Kings have, other than that they almost certainly do not have even a top #2 young defenseman in the system, let alone a franchise defenseman and I hope nobody is putting the entire rebuild on a 35 year old Doughty either.

I wonder what Blake will do, I am only going to speculate now but I think Lombardi was more pro-active at identifying what he wanted and getting it. Blake to me seems more democratic and passive, he identifies a problematic area moreso than identifying the players he actually wants, and then there's probably option A, option B, option C and option D, and you wind up with option B or C to address the problem way too often. Do we really think Blake would have dealt O'Sullivan and a 2nd for Williams at that stage of the rebuild? The Lemieux trade, even if its just to get McLellan to stop using MacDermid, is pathetic in my mind if I'm honest. How many 4th line bodies do you need? I fear this is going to be Blake's problem, he is going to do everything passively by the book but it's not going to be enough. I think Lombardi was much sharper and went after his guys and made some difficult calls, while the feeling I get with Blake just listening to the interviews and the speculation and rumors is that he is more of a sit back and "let's see what is out there" guy. I prefer methodical GMs over guys who wheel and deal, but at some point you also need to strike gold a few times making difficult calls rather than just sitting back.

In saying that, I don't think there is something that had to be done by now necessarily (though it very well could have been done), but moving forward I'd like to see Blake impose a more concrete form upon the franchise than just talent accumulation and seeing what you've got. We should soon start seeing something that gives the team a little more identity. They've got so many assets now that you should start thinking "okay, this is what we need, these are the 2 or 3 guys we really want for that hole" and start addressing it, if you're going to wait 2 more years on every Andersson, Kupari, Clague and other B-level prospect out there, dick around with 8 4th liners playing for 3 spots... by the time you figure out what it is, you'll have a flat team with a poor mix and stagnating youth. But for me, the essence isn't about making playoffs next year or dealing for Eichel, the essence is that they have to start addressing the identity and character of the team and targeting players they really want that can address it.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
‎KINGS OF THE PODCAST ™️: KOTP S2 E30 with guest Nelson Emerson Kings Of The Podcast on Apple Podcasts

Rave reviews for Brock Faber from Nelson Emerson. Some interesting thoughts on the other college kids as well.

NHL RADIO REPLAY: Mayor’s Minutes – Hoven on LA Kings Games Remaining, Byfield, and the Ducks

So he mentions something going into the off-season. 1) LHD 2) Top 6 upgrade. Nothing earth shattering there. However, he mentions Tyler Bertuzzi by name and he says "one of the kids in St. Louis", probably Vince Dunn, among others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
‎KINGS OF THE PODCAST ™️: KOTP S2 E30 with guest Nelson Emerson Kings Of The Podcast on Apple Podcasts

Rave reviews for Brock Faber from Nelson Emerson. Some interesting thoughts on the other college kids as well.

NHL RADIO REPLAY: Mayor’s Minutes – Hoven on LA Kings Games Remaining, Byfield, and the Ducks

So he mentions something going into the off-season. 1) LHD 2) Top 6 upgrade. Nothing earth shattering there. However, he mentions Tyler Bertuzzi by name and he says "one of the kids in St. Louis", probably Vince Dunn, among others.
So we can safely say Bertuzzi won't happen.

Also... He seriously thinks a GM or DET will move Bertuzzi after being out all yr and RFA 1 yr from UFA? Just typical Mayor bs. Wish he'd stick to talking about the team, injuries etc just so dunce come trade rumors. Anyone able to tell me what we got for Iaffolo who, "Will definitely be moved by the end of the trade deadline"?

Reactions: Maynard

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
In saying that, I don't think there is something that had to be done by now necessarily (though it very well could have been done), but moving forward I'd like to see Blake impose a more concrete form upon the franchise than just talent accumulation and seeing what you've got. We should soon start seeing something that gives the team a little more identity. They've got so many assets now that you should start thinking "okay, this is what we need, these are the 2 or 3 guys we really want for that hole" and start addressing it, if you're going to wait 2 more years on every Andersson, Kupari, Clague and other B-level prospect out there, dick around with 8 4th liners playing for 3 spots... by the time you figure out what it is, you'll have a flat team with a poor mix and stagnating youth. But for me, the essence isn't about making playoffs next year or dealing for Eichel, the essence is that they have to start addressing the identity and character of the team and targeting players they really want that can address it.

Well that can go awfully wrong. What you are proposing here can easily transform into trading Hall for Larsson while signing a character player like Lucic.
I understand where you are heading but IMHO it is still to soon to add veterans. Kopitar, Brown, Quick and Doughty are the veterans we need right now. Let them teach the kids and see what happens.
A lot of Lombardis success was the development of guys like Martinez, Muzzin, Quick and other you would describe as B-level prospects.
Let the kids matured and then add if you find the right pieces.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene happened for one reason; DL knew he had Doughty. By all accounts he was ready to step in from day 1, which allowed for a trade where the Kings lost on talent, but made up the difference in moxy. Without Doughty in his back pocket though, that particular trade likely doesn't happen.

We'll never know the alternate reality where Kopitar doesn't get hurt in 10-11, and Smyth doesn't want to go back to Edm. Or the one where Gagne doesn't get hurt.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
AA will re-sign. I think they will make a deal with TB for Killorn, Gourde, or Tyler Johnson with TB retaining a bit. Gostisbehre is their target to pair with Roy...just a hunch.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
AA will re-sign. I think they will make a deal with TB for Killorn, Gourde, or Tyler Johnson with TB retaining a bit. Gostisbehre is their target to pair with Roy...just a hunch.

Serious question because I agree that Gostisbehere would be a good fit for the Kings...why do you think they passed on him when he was on waivers a few weeks ago? They could have had him for free. Made no sense to me at the time.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Serious question because I agree that Gostisbehere would be a good fit for the Kings...why do you think they passed on him when he was on waivers a few weeks ago? They could have had him for free. Made no sense to me at the time.

They want the Flyers to eat some salary or get an asset to take the entire cap. I agree they should have done it but who knows what ownership wants.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They want the Flyers to eat some salary or get an asset to take the entire cap. I agree they should have done it but who knows what ownership wants.

Perhaps...but they could have talked to Philly after that and made a deal with cap retained. It all leads me to believe they didn't (and still don't) want him.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront

Not a fan of Gostisbehere at $4.5M for a few more years. I'd rather play Bjornfot with Roy full-time next season.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
They also did not have a contract spot for him available at the time. LA was using 49/50 contract spots available. LA has been stuck close up to the contract limit for a couple of seasons, which has required maneuvering.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So a player put on waivers, not picked up by the Kings, makes you guys believe the Kings are after that guy?

Had Carter been put on waivers, nobody is taking him. At 50% retention? Somebody actually wanted him.

Waivers are where league minimum guys might change teams. That's not where guys with real contracts are messed with.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Kings lost all but 1, maybe 2 periods in that series. The only reason it went 4 games is because it had to. They were barely a threat to score against Fleury.

didn't Fleury set some save percentage record for playoff series?

They had chances and he was lights out.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene happened for one reason; DL knew he had Doughty. By all accounts he was ready to step in from day 1, which allowed for a trade where the Kings lost on talent, but made up the difference in moxy. Without Doughty in his back pocket though, that particular trade likely doesn't happen.

We'll never know the alternate reality where Kopitar doesn't get hurt in 10-11, and Smyth doesn't want to go back to Edm. Or the one where Gagne doesn't get hurt.

For some reason I thought Visnovsky for Stoll/Greene happened in 2007, but nope. Happened right there in the summer of 2008.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
15 years ago, the architect laid out his plans.

I remember emailing Tim Leiweke about a week before the announcement came, pleading with him that they need to hire a builder like Dean Lombardi. His response was: “you’ll be happy with our hire.”

I know a lot of us give him crap, but I think Leiweke did care about turning the Kings into a winning team, and he did listen to the fans. They made a series of bad decisions along the path to success, but they achieved the ultimate goal, twice.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I know a lot of us give him crap, but I think Leiweke did care about turning the Kings into a winning team, and he did listen to the fans. They made a series of bad decisions along the path to success, but they achieved the ultimate goal, twice.
My number one complaint with him was him running his mouth on promises he couldn't deliver.

Sincerely,

Allison and Deadmarsh will be back by Christmas

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
My number one complaint with him was him running his mouth on promises he couldn't deliver.

Sincerely,

Driving home from games, listening to Kings Talk during that time and there were three guarantees every other question would be "when are Allison and Deader coming back?", Mike from West Hills reading a three paragraph question/statement, and people asking Nick "How are you doing?" and Nick sounding like he wanted to murder people for asking that when he said, "good."

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Driving home from games, listening to Kings Talk during that time and there were three guarantees every other question would be "when are Allison and Deader coming back?", Mike from West Hills reading a three paragraph question/statement, and people asking Nick "How are you doing?" and Nick sounding like he wanted to murder people for asking that when he said, "good."

Do they still do Kings Talk now that the games are only heard on iHeartRadio? I haven't tuned in for quite some time. This also reminds me of the time a friend of mine called Kings Talk after a loss to complain about the Kings having too many Europeans on the roster. That's probably something Dean Lombardi agreed with when he took over the team...

Reactions: fivehole32

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Sincerely,

That fiasco, the way they handled free agent negotiations, and constantly bemoaning that the Kings couldn't compete with bigger market teams is what drew a lot of ire, and deservedly so.

Apparently getting Jeremy Roenick was also a call from upper management.

Now that I watched that, I miss Marty on the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad