Injury Report: 2020-21 Injuries & Covid Thread (Silfverberg out for the season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I’m certain guys are playing with stuff we cannot fathom. But part of rebuilding could/should be getting key parts of the veteran leadership as healthy as possible shouldn’t It?
I mean, we have sucked for two years+ and to hear that players are playing through big injuries rather than getting healthy just seems like piss poor management.

Mansons return from injury recently, saw him looking more like the player expected. I respect the culture of playing through stuff, but there should also be a culture of what’s best for the team at some point shouldn’t there?

Reactions: Deuce22
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Man that’s rough. Silf is a warrior and this is one of many reasons I don’t mind his contract compared to the Henrique one.

That said I agree with the general sentiment of why the f*** are we letting these guys play through bad injuries all the time.
I don't remember the exact quote or know the actual context but didn't BM publicly come out by saying something that he's unhappy that some of his players would deem themselves unfit to play? I think this was a couple of seasons ago at least and I remember it was talked about here a lot. Maybe it's nothing and the actual context was about something completely different but as soon as I saw what was posted about Silfverberg's injury it came back to me. I can understand playing through injuries when your fighting for the cup or getting in the Playoffs but not when you're fighting for a lottery pick the whole season.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I guess the silver(berg) lining is that it frees up a protection slot for the expansion draft. Doubt Seattle will take an injured player with a big contract.
This is very True. Only reason I prefer Henrique to him is his chemistry with Terry and Zegras as well as being Center depth that they need with Getz downward trend and Steel getting closer to not panning out.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't remember the exact quote or know the actual context but didn't BM publicly come out by saying something that he's unhappy that some of his players would deem themselves unfit to play? I think this was a couple of seasons ago at least and I remember it was talked about here a lot. Maybe it's nothing and the actual context was about something completely different but as soon as I saw what was posted about Silfverberg's injury it came back to me. I can understand playing through injuries when your fighting for the cup or getting in the Playoffs but not when you're fighting for a lottery pick the whole season.

Yeah he definitely did a couple of years back about certain guys who wouldn’t play through things. It was implied Ritchie was one of those guys but I don’t think it was ever confirmed?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Why would they let a guy play through such an injury when the team is so obviously not competing either way?
I mean, they can't really make him stop if he insists. Kesler was the same way and they had to pretty much beg him to retire for the last two years of his career.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Why would they let a guy play through such an injury when the team is so obviously not competing either way?
88711135.jpg

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I mean, they can't really make him stop if he insists. Kesler was the same way and they had to pretty much beg him to retire for the last two years of his career.

Is that really the case? On an official basis I think if a team decides a player ought to be placed on IR, and the league signs off on the transaction based on the provided medical assessment, the player doesn't have any say in the matter beyond the PA filing a grievance on their behalf. If I'm not mistaken, that dispute did arise in the case of Despres and was the ultimate deciding factor in his buyout.

On an unofficial basis, I can agree that Murray would give a lot of respect to the word of long time veteran if they are claiming to be fit to play, but ultimately I think it's the team's responsibility to do right by the player's health regardless of their opinion.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Is that really the case? On an official basis I think if a team decides a player ought to be placed on IR, and the league signs off on the transaction based on the provided medical assessment, the player doesn't have any say in the matter beyond the PA filing a grievance on their behalf. If I'm not mistaken, that dispute did arise in the case of Despres and was the ultimate deciding factor in his buyout.

On an unofficial basis, I can agree that Murray would give a lot of respect to the word of long time veteran if they are claiming to be fit to play, but ultimately I think it's the team's responsibility to do right by the player's health regardless of their opinion.
They probably tried to address it with physical therapy first and some labrum tears aren't as painful right away. He probably has been getting periodic MRIs and it degraded to the point of needing surgery.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Ownership didn't want to pay for him or the materials that he requested. He left because he couldn't run the program that he envisioned.
Yes, I remember this. All internal budgets aside, this was the one time where I remember thinking: "Wow, the ownership really is cheap, and this might come back to bite them." Granted, I have no idea if the decision was made by the Samuelis or someone else. IIRC, the sums involved were not even that big, certainly much smaller than what the team is paying for the injured players not to play.

I also remember reading stuff about how Skahan was able to help some players that other experts had given up on. Couple that with the fact that as soon as he left we became one of the most injured teams in the league and the Wild one of the healthiest, and it's easy to see that letting him go was an abysmally bad decision. And then with the GMBM comments on how he wants the players to play through injuries, and now this Silfverberg thing...I am absolutely fuming.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yes, I remember this. All internal budgets aside (at the time), this was the one time where I remember thinking: "Wow, the ownership really is cheap, and this might come back to bite them." Granted, I have no idea if the decision was made by the Samuelis or someone else. IIRC, the sums involved were not even that big, certainly much smaller than what the team is paying for the injured players not to play.

I also remember reading stuff about how Skahan was able to help some players that other experts had given up on. Couple that with the fact that as soon as he left we became one of the most injured teams in the league and the Wild one of the healthiest, and it's easy to see that letting him go was an abysmally bad decision. And then with the GMBM comments on how he wants the players to play through injuries, and now this Silfverberg thing...I am absolutely fuming.
In fairness to bob the comment he made was that he was upset that some players wouldn't play through bumps and bruises. Big difference between hurting and being injured. I think that was in juxtaposition to guys like perry and kesler who decided to warrior through legitimate injuries because they wanted to be on the ice that badly.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
In fairness to bob the comment he made was that he was upset that some players wouldn't play through bumps and bruises. Big difference between hurting and being injured. I think that was in juxtaposition to guys like perry and kesler who decided to warrior through legitimate injuries because they wanted to be on the ice that badly.
That could very well be the case. I just assume that when guys deem themselves unfit to play, it's about something more that mere bumps and bruises. Bob is an old-school guy so I'm not really giving him the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe I should, but it is what it is and we will never know for sure what was actually going on.

Edit: And what Perry and Kesler suffered through should not have been allowed to happen. I hope Kesler recovers enough to lead a happy and pain-free life.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Kesler documentary was very telling when it came out. Didn’t the Gulls trainer essentially lose his job because he wanted to experiment with CBD instead of some of the other painkillers that were being used?

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The Kesler documentary was very telling when it came out. Didn’t the Gulls trainer essentially lose his job because he wanted to experiment with CBD instead of some of the other painkillers that were being used?
Yep. Had him on torradol long-term.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah, I think Bob’s comments were more along these lines than saying he wanted guys to play through major injury. The comparison of hurting vs. being injured definitely rings a bell. I think he also said that he got pissed when the player said “if it was the playoffs, I’d play.” Pretty sure he was referring to Ritchie, and I could see why that would be upsetting. Usually it’s the coaching staff and management deciding to hold a guy back if it’s not the playoffs, not the player himself.

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah, I think Bob’s comments were more along these lines than saying he wanted guys to play through major injury. The comparison of hurting vs. being injured definitely rings a bell. I think he also said that he got pissed when the player said “if it was the playoffs, I’d play.” Pretty sure he was referring to Ritchie, and I could see why that would be upsetting. Usually it’s the coaching staff and management deciding to hold a guy back if it’s not the playoffs, not the player himself.
And part of that frustration was the sheer amount of games we had played shorthanded up to and past that point. We hardly ever had a full roster on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->