2020-21 Hart Trophy finalists: Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews, Connor McDavid

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No surprises really. Personally I hoped Barkov would have been nominated but I can see why he wasn’t.

What other award nominations are still to be announced?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Weird, I was assured Crosby was very definitively going to be in the top 3. I guess they forgot to count those ballots.

Reactions: Crabapple

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Should be unanimous for McDavid but I’m sure there will be a few votes against him because they don’t know hockey or are biased af.

PumpkinBomb

Jul 22, 2020
Not that I disagree that journalists are largely terrible at analyzing the sport, or really doing anything constructive, but do you have any clear examples of the above? It's a fairly strong allegation, and I'm curious if you can back it up.
I do. I sent the link which has who each journalist picked every year.
The Norris votes are the clearest examples of reputation voting
The Calder is the clearest “pick the player I write for”
The hart votes I think show a lot of “make up votes” and what I was talking about with Friedmam

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
3rd time MacKinnon is a Hart finalist isnt it? And all within the last 5 years?

Honestly surprised that Crosby wasn't a finalist. Expected him to be voted 3rd over MacKinnon.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I see some arguing for Draisaitl. Perhaps he is the second best player in the game, but can he be a finalist for an "MVP" award along with McDavid on the same team? On some level, it doesn't strike me as very intelligent, at least if you view the award as an "MVP" trophy. I realize that it has happened before, but it doesn't make sense to me unless the award represents something other than an MVP award.

Reactions: User9992

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
If Colorado gets eliminated with another poor showing by Mackinnon, would this be the least heart ever shown by the trio of Hart nominees?

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
I know MacKinnon has an argument to be there but that 3rd spot was stacked. There were so many guys to choose from (Marchand, Vasilevsky, Barkov, Crosby), I don't really have an argument one way or another.

I'm just more curious of McDavid becomes the first unanimous MVP since Gretzky or not...

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
I do. I sent the link which has who each journalist picked every year.
The Norris votes are the clearest examples of reputation voting
The Calder is the clearest “pick the player I write for”
The hart votes I think show a lot of “make up votes” and what I was talking about with Friedmam

Just to back off of this, the Vezina using Wins as such a heavy criteria. Robbed Ben Bishop twice of a Vezina...

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Your Hart Trophy finalists everyone!

upload_2021-6-10_20-29-34.png

upload_2021-6-10_20-31-9.jpeg
upload_2021-6-10_20-29-52.png

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Marchand snubbed big time here. Not surprised, since he is a hated character, but he had more goals, more points than MacKinnon, led his team in scoring by 21 points (MacK was actually outscored by a teammate), is better defensively and one of the most effective PK players in the game. Would like to know the reasoning for MacKinnon being over him for Hart trophy.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
This award should be renamed the Shinny Hockey Award. As none of these guys are anywhere to be found when the games become more intense and their opponents actually play defense against them.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Just to back off of this, the Vezina using Wins as such a heavy criteria. Robbed Ben Bishop twice of a Vezina...
...as voted on by GMs.

Which is one thing about voting, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees there's loads of reputation voting, but is it any better with the Ted Lindsay? The voting tends to be similar and it's not like players watch hockey all the time, so they'll be disproportionately biased by what their coaches tell them and of a guy happens to have a couple of great games against their team.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavids trophy case is already getting crowded .. except the main one is missing. Fully expect him to score just 90 in the regular season next year and go wild in the playoffs to fix the imbalance.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Mackinnon seems a bit surprising. I get that he's the best player on that team, but Rantanen had more points and 50% more goals. Makes it hard to say that Mackinnon was more valuable than him, let alone a bunch of other guys.
Dude, MacKinnon carries Rantanen. everybody knows that!
Just a few years ago Rantanen was voted as the worst player to hit 80 points since the 80s, that should tell you everything there is to know about Rantanen...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
3rd time MacKinnon is a Hart finalist isnt it? And all within the last 5 years?

Honestly surprised that Crosby wasn't a finalist. Expected him to be voted 3rd over MacKinnon.

3rd in 4 years for MacKinnon. Though I have to think reputation was a bit of a factor this year.

Reactions: Wrath

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Im more interested to see if McDavid gets a clean sweep of first place votes. And if he doesn't I wanna know what guy didn't vote for him

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad