2020-21 Hart Trophy finalists: Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews, Connor McDavid

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If acceptance speeches are being pre-recorded, Matthews and MacKinnon should just rant about all the people in the league they hate. Will never air, may as well have fun.
"I'd like to thank Steve Simmons for pissing me off so much that I took my game to another level"

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Makar was more valuable than Mack this year, but it’s Mcdavid trophy this year and well deserved.

Oh God could you imagine the uproar around here if Makar was a finalist lol

Some rival fans would legitimately have a break down

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Surprised a bit by Mac, but not a lot.

I expected Crosby for Hart finalist, and Mack more likely for Lindsay finalist....ends up being opposite. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby 4th or 5th for Hart.

i think the top 2 were never in question to me. McDavid in a landslide win - and Matthews a clear #2

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
MacK should not be a finalist.

There were 2 obvious choices and then a mix of ~5-7 names who make sense for #3. Mack was one of them. I think it's fine. Other names would have been Crosby, Marchand, Draisaitl...probably a cpl more

Reactions: Wrath

PumpkinBomb

Jul 22, 2020
Kinda weird seeing multiple guys 2nd on their own teams in scoring making the top 3.

Not really. The Hart shouldn't exist, or rather sports journalists shouldn't be allowed to vote. On anything. Ever.

You think any east coast journalist is staying up watching the west? They always vote stats and reputation. Also they frequently give 2nd and 3rd place votes out to guys who don't deserve it so that their 1st place vote counts for more. They also vote for wrong positions on their 1st and 2nd all-star teams and so many other dumb things.

The NHLPWA usually takes their 1st place votes pretty seriously, but it can get ugly with the writers other choices.
Example: guys that vote Kucherov in 2019 1st will vote Mcdavid 4th or 5th and visa versa.

I would say about 1/2 of the 173ish writers take it pretty seriously.

The other thing i noticed is that certain journalists, when you look at voting records over the past 5 years try to correct their records the following years. (I think this is how reputation awards come into play)
PHWA reveals 2020 NHL Awards ballots – Professional Hockey Writers Association

you can find voting history here (the above is just 1 year but you can navigate)

One of the worst journalists for "correcting their record" is Elliotte Freidman, believe it or not. He'll leave deserving players off lists 1 year, maybe trying to be edgy, then the following year give that player a 1st or 2nd place vote when they didn't deserve it.

Reactions: RattsSSV and oobga

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
There were 2 obvious choices and then a mix of ~5-7 names who make sense for #3. Mack was one of them. I think it's fine. Other names would have been Crosby, Marchand, Draisaitl...probably a cpl more
Also it doesn't matter because it's basically a runner up prize. Everyone already knows who won the Hart.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
God, I hope MacKinnon puts up a 4th consecutive goose egg and the Avs get bounced tonight. So many attempts by external forces to turn his excellent resume into a Hall of Fame one.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJOSTTHINGS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->