Reimer
Mrazek
Bernier
Halak
Smith

then backups who could be 1B
Brossoit
Driedger

With Hart having a shit year, we could bridge him for 2 cheap year, and then sign someone for 2 years.

Ullmark I think can do well on a great team. I think Raanta is way too injury prone. Andersen has always been serviceable, but not much more than that. Reimer is not a #1 and has had many times to snag it and never does. Mrazek is not coming back. Bernier has good flashes but he's also getting older. Halak can start but he's getting up there in age too and Smith, while good, I don't want an old man right now.

I do think Driedger can be a #1 somewhere, but it ain't here.

Reactions: flyerslducks

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Laughton-Couturier-Patrick would be an interesting line. They could call it the 3C line, since they are all centers.

200.gif

Reactions: Adtar02

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I disagree. There are plenty of goalies who could handle a #1 role if needed:

Ullmark
Raanta
Andersen
Reimer
Mrazek
Bernier
Halak
Smith

Brossoit
Driedger

With Hart having a shit year, we could bridge him for 2 cheap year, and then sign someone for 2 years.

Halak would probably be at the top of my list. He can handle several games in a row and when he gets on a heater it’s tough getting pucks by him. But knowing our luck he would forget how to goalie if he came here.

Reactions: dingbathero

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's going to be the 2019 Offseason Part II. They'll look to acquire defense first (defense only?) vets. Except Fletcher doesn't have quite the cap flexibility he did when he took over.

I just hate the hyperfocus on preventing goals. It's an oversimplification of the problem. The offense was equally as bad for much of the season, only boosted by an early season shooting heater.

Just get good players.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
just remove, waive, trade the locker room cancers and cliques

the coach and assistants know who they are .....

will do wonders for the team

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
It's going to be the 2019 Offseason Part II. They'll look to acquire defense first (defense only?) vets. Except Fletcher doesn't have quite the cap flexibility he did when he took over.

I just hate the hyperfocus on preventing goals. It's an oversimplification of the problem. The offense was equally as bad for much of the season, only boosted by an early season shooting heater.

Just get good players.
Just run a system that the players get behind.

And helps them play better.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That Athletic interview basically hit every cacophonous note I didn’t want to hear. Chuck Fletcher doesn’t get it and will never get it. But by golly, he will get gooder defense! He didn’t even mention one other thing that was a problem in the whole interview, besides young players. Just defense reiterated 10x.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I was happy to read this. I want him (seen it in dreams) to hold that cup like Clarke did. Grin and all.

“Our intention clearly is to keep Sean in Philadelphia for the rest of his career,” said Fletcher. “He’s one of our best players if not our best player. We’ll certainly make it a priority this summer to have conversations with him and try to find a way to continue this relationship going forward.’’

We have more work to do with what we have in the way of coaches. AV better be last years AV. Completely overall our PK, lack of past Flyers be damned, that should have been f***ing fixed. That’s the coach. That dreadful PP (better when Ghost was allowed to Ghost) has to do better. Get back to the basics. Tape to tape passes. Show Hart you believe he is a Vezina trophy finalist, play for that. Support the shit out of that. Don’t f*** that up. Jesus. It has to stop soon right? I’d be completely okay with a trade, even some of our youth. We have assets others need and vice versa. I love our youth. What window are you playing in? We are a damn good team (see last year) that can be better. Pick a lane.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Just get good players.
Yeah this won't end well. Reminds me of the offseason to make Bryzgalov look like he was in AZ. Flyers got Lavi to institute the extra "wrinkle" on D and went out and got Luke Schenn to help with that. We know how all of that turned out with Bryz becoming Bryzaster and Lavi fired anyway. Fletch= Holmgren clone.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
just remove, waive, trade the locker room cancers and cliques

the coach and assistants know who they are .....

will do wonders for the team

Yes, they do indeed own mirrors and of the 4 coachs only Therrien is a vampire.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That Athletic interview basically hit every cacophonous note I didn’t want to hear. Chuck Fletcher doesn’t get it and will never get it. But by golly, he will get gooder defense! He didn’t even mention one other thing that was a problem in the whole interview, besides young players. Just defense reiterated 10x.

He is exactly who he was in Minnesota; a loser.

We had our eye on Zito that summer and I wish like hell we had the courage to make that move at the time. It's asking a lot for old fogies like Homer and Clarke to make a bold managerial move though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah this won't end well. Reminds me of the offseason to make Bryzgalov look like he was in AZ. Flyers got Lavi to institute the extra "wrinkle" on D and went out and got Luke Schenn to help with that. We know how all of that turned out with Bryz becoming Bryzaster and Lavi fired anyway. Fletch= Holmgren clone.

AV will be gone by Thanksgiving. He's not capable of positive adjustments so we are going to see a new group of players still playing stretch hockey that leaves defensemen without support and we are going to see an overload in the dzone that leaves men wide open on the other side of the ice.

Yeo will probably be named interim at that point and we will go on a pointless run, out in the 1st, then hire another bum next summer because Gallant went to New York, Julien went to Seattle, and Groulx to Detroit.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
AV will be gone by Thanksgiving. He's not capable of positive adjustments so we are going to see a new group of players still playing stretch hockey that leaves defensemen without support and we are going to see an overload in the dzone that leaves men wide open on the other side of the ice.

Yeo will probably be named interim at that point and we will go on a pointless run, out in the 1st, then hire another bum next summer because Gallant went to New York, Julien went to Seattle, and Groulx to Detroit.

The way you paint it, the future sounds hilarious.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Thanks for ruining my weekend..

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I disagree. There are plenty of goalies who could handle a #1 role if needed:

Ullmark
Raanta
Andersen
Reimer
Mrazek
Bernier
Halak
Smith

Brossoit
Driedger

some would definitely cost more than others too though. Raanta's injury makes him a no for me. Halak will be the most $ but I think we can do bernier/reimer for cheaper and they would be a solid backup. Anderson would be too much $/term, smith is a no for me (doubt he has another great season like he is having), ullmark is kept by sabres most likely so it comes down to reimer/bernier/halak. I can see mrazek going back to Carolina.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Ullmark I think can do well on a great team. I think Raanta is way too injury prone. Andersen has always been serviceable, but not much more than that. Reimer is not a #1 and has had many times to snag it and never does. Mrazek is not coming back. Bernier has good flashes but he's also getting older. Halak can start but he's getting up there in age too and Smith, while good, I don't want an old man right now.

I do think Driedger can be a #1 somewhere, but it ain't here.

we need a 1b not a true #1. We are going to lie and die by hart every season anyway

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He is exactly who he was in Minnesota; a loser.

We had our eye on Zito that summer and I wish like hell we had the courage to make that move at the time. It's asking a lot for old fogies like Homer and Clarke to make a bold managerial move though.

Zito is getting lucky too, and surely anything can change, but it's actually absurd how many hits he's had in 1 season.
  • Carter Verhaeghe UFA 2 years @ $1 mil (36 points in 43 games and a monster possession guy)
  • Bennett for 2 2nds, which seemed ridiculously pricey but now.....who knows? RFA control
  • Weegar RFA 3 years @ $3.25 mil (probably wishes he added a couple years though)
  • Gudas UFA 3 years @ $2.25 mil
  • Nutivaara for a sub-AHL Cliff Pu
  • Forsling off waivers
  • Shedded Matheson's contract for 3 less years of Hornqvist
  • Wennberg UFA 1 year @ $2.25 mil
  • Duclair UFA 1 year @ $1.7 mil with RFA control
  • Montour for a 3rd (Buffalo taint gamble)
  • Gusev for pro-rated $1 mil after termination
This is in one season! Almost every one of these players is having a good-great season as a Panther whether in scoring or underlying numbers or both. The underperformers they added are doing better. Lot of cost effective, educated risks where I can see a process. They're the 3rd best possession team in the league. They're just good. The state of that franchise in the last few years and this year is a sea change. Especially with Barkov's status.

God I can't wait to see Chuckles f*** things up with the sole purpose of preventing goals. Bias for action with all the wrong biases. Tally ho.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Zito is getting lucky too, and surely anything can change, but it's actually absurd how many hits he's had in 1 season.
  • Carter Verhaeghe UFA 2 years @ $1 mil (36 points in 43 games and a monster possession guy)
  • Bennett for 2 2nds, which seemed ridiculously pricey but now.....who knows? RFA control
  • Weegar RFA 3 years @ $3.25 mil (probably wishes he added a couple years though)
  • Gudas UFA 3 years @ $2.25 mil
  • Nutivaara for a sub-AHL Cliff Pu
  • Forsling off waivers
  • Shedded Matheson's contract for 3 less years of Hornqvist
  • Wennberg UFA 1 year @ $2.25 mil
  • Duclair UFA 1 year @ $1.7 mil with RFA control
  • Montour for a 3rd (Buffalo taint gamble)
  • Gusev for pro-rated $1 mil after termination
This is in one season! Almost every one of these players is having a good-great season as a Panther whether in scoring or underlying numbers or both. The underperformers they added are doing better. Lot of cost effective, educated risks where I can see a process. They're the 3rd best possession team in the league. They're just good. The state of that franchise in the last few years and this year is a sea change. Especially with Barkov's status.

God I can't wait to see Chuckles f*** things up with the sole purpose of preventing goals. Bias for action with all the wrong biases. Tally ho.

Just think, we could have had Zito AND Quenneville.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just making my once daily check-in to see if there are any coaching vacancies in Philadelphia. Don't appear to be. Ok, damn, I'll knock again tomorrow, resume in hand.

Fletcher is "EXCITED" to have his incredible, experienced, impervious to accountability staff return next season.

EXCITED, I SAY!

After what we just saw this past season.

EX-CI-TED.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad