2020/21 Fantasy Draft v2 (Bracket Style)

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I really want McDavid

I had one chance with MacKinnon in our second draft. But of course that just had to be the one where the goalie conspiracy happened right after my pick and it was our one draft with no trading. Rough break.

Otherwise I've picked 20, 27, 27, 17, 18, 25. Give me Matthews I won't even ask for McDavid.

Reactions: hockeynorth

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Wtf is Netscape

The greatest damn web browser to ever exist. You knew shit was about to get real when the splash screen popped up:

u6f62rzv0kb21.png

Reactions: Panda Bear

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I had one chance with MacKinnon in our second draft. But of course that just had to be the one where the goalie conspiracy happened right after my pick and it was our one draft with no trading. Rough break.

Otherwise I've picked 20, 27, 27, 17, 18, 25. Give me Matthews I won't even ask for McDavid.
LOL DAMN

I've gotten 10th a couple times actually which is fortunate. The goalie conspiracy was hilarious though

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
LOL DAMN

I've gotten 10th a couple times actually which is fortunate. The goalie conspiracy was hilarious though

The weirdest part about the goalie conspiracy is nobody messaged me anything about it, I just took Grubauer as my backup because I thought it would be funny and it was near the start of a massive chain run.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
My hot take: m0pe's teams get overrated because everyone likes m0pe. STL isn't that good.

I think it's good, not great.

Top line is good. No problems to me.

Second line is fairly good although leap of faith Chytil takes that next step.

3rd line is not my favourite - Zegras will be pretty good quickly but wing? Meh. Carter doesn't care anymore about anything. Grimaldi fits all of that how? A bit muddled.

4th line is good but slooowwwww.

Hedman is god, Stralman is nearing the end but he'll look fine here.

I'm a lesser fan of Martinez than most, although he had hope in Vegas that maybe he just stopped caring in LA. Jokiharju isn't quite a top 4 D yet though (I like him down the road!). That pairing is meh.

de Haan struggled vs the Oilers. Lehtonen is a gamble but a decent one.

Shesterkin is good albeit a tad unproven but he's good from what I've seen.

It's a solid playoff team. I found it pretty comparable to my Flames team although I can't match Hedman, my Kempny/Sanheim/Faulk is clearly better than Stralman/Martinez/Jokiharju to me. My goalie is good, his goalie is good but better. Our no.1 Cs are close but I prefer ROR slightly. I have better wingers, Pastrnak/Wheeler/Nyquist vs Schwartz/Gallagher/Perron but it's close from a two-way POV. Mikheyev is better than Chytil and my 3rd line is a better shutdown thing.

Ultimately the biggest difference for why STL is defeating CGY so hard, for me, is Victor Hedman > Brent Burns and Shesterkin > Georgiev. I get it.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
There is St. Louis slander in this thread, and by gawd I won't stand for it. Here is my case as to why the doubters are wrong:

L1:
Proven success. Those 3 are players are a big reason why St. Louis won the cup last year. Specifically ROR who has shown to elevate his game come playoff time. I mean, he did win the Conn Smythe last year. They have been the offensive leaders of a winning team before, see no reason to doubt their chemistry and success this time.

L2: Danault-Gallagher as 2/3 parts of a second line. Yes, please. Again, 2 guys who have great chemistry together and proven to be VERY effective together over a large sample size over the past couple years. And that is when they have been arguably the main threat to opponents...now they are clearly 2nd fiddle in St. Louis and this may allow them to thrive even more. If you want to doubt Chytil, fine, although I think he takes some step forward this year. But even if not, the Montreal duo alone should make this a very strong 5v5 2nd line.

L3: Carter is aging sure. But in an offensive 3C role I think he is MORE than capable. Give him a reason to care again on a strong team and he might even be revitalized. He brings cup experience and scored at a 23 goal pace on LA last year...let's not act like he is toast. Zegras is a top prospect with great playmaking ability. Given Carter can put the puck in the net and this line has easy offensive minutes, this should be a fine combo. Meanwhile, Grimaldi brings solid two-way play and is coming off a great year. The fact that this line may be the weak part of my roster should say something.

L4: Wallmark has shown the offense and defense to be a capable 3C in this league. Him as a 4C just shows strong center depth. Maroon has won back to back cups...that isn't a fluke, what he brings to a team is very valuable. Lucic was a meme pick (but also a fine 4th liner). I should be getting + votes from saving this board from the embarrassment of our king going undrafted. He has been talked about since round 1 in many of our drafts, the fact that I steal him in round 20 is a miracle.

D1: Hedman, that is all. But seriously, the best D in the game. He has carried a hell of a lot worse players than his former D partner, I see no reason why Stralman should hold him back from constantly pushing this pairing in the right direction. And oh lookie here, another recent cup AND Conn Smythe winner. Guess that mkaes us 2/2 on those over the last couple years. Remember, we are voting for the playoffs and there is no reason to think Hedman can't dominate them again.

D2: Martinez is a solid 2nd pair D. I don't think anyone can argue he is any more or any less. But again, cup experience (and a cup winning goal to boot) and has played 21+ minutes a year on some pretty solid teams consistently since then. There is a reason for that. Jokiharju I fully expected to be underrated, but I will say this. He is already the Sabres 2nd best D by a solid margin, right now. He is rock solid and already a top-4 D. Give the 21 year kid another year of development and that fact will be known around the league.

D3: Calvin de Haan isn't as good as he used to be. But he is still a solid veteran #5 who teams play 18+ minutes a night year after year. That's all he will asked to be here and I don't think the cliff is falling off that fast that he won't be a capable bottom pair D. Lehtonen is just tearing up the KHL and has been doing so for some time. He may be a rookie, but he is 26 years old with tons of pro experience and it would not surprise me in the least for him to have a lot bigger than a bottom pair impact next year which is what makes him so appealing.

G: Shestyorkin has had success at every level he has played at for years. Just because he only has 12 (very good) games in the NHL doesn't make me doubt his ability for next year any less. Personally, I have him as a top-10 goalie for next year and was thrilled to get him where I did. Bernier is a solid guy with lots of experience if he stumbles, but seeing as he has consistently been amazing for 4 years now, I highly doubt it.

TLDR; Loads of cup winning experience, back to back Conn Smythe winners, proven chemistry in top-6, strong forward depth, best defenseman in the game, potential high impact rookie at every position. This team has a nice mix of skills, very few holes and everything needed to win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad