2020-21 ECHL Schedule

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I didn't know that was their reputation.

If they did buy the Cyclones, then I think it would be the first time in a long time that an NHL team owned an ECHL team. IIRC, the NJ Devils used to own the Trenton ECHL franchise for a time.
Philadelphia already does......Cyclones.... why are the Flyers ownership listed as the owner in Portland

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This virus will run its course by August or so and there will be an ECHL season. I'm expecting teams to drop out mid-summer as owners will have had their primary businesses hit hard.

If the season does end up getting cancelled, I'd expect the ECHL to shrink by up to half. I can only think of a few franchises which wouldn't have their futures in doubt: Toledo, Fort Wayne, Orlando, Kalamazoo and Kansas City. The rest would be up in the air.

I admit I might be nitpicking your comment a lot here. But with the hit all owners will take from Covid, Orlando wouldn't be on solid ground. If the family (their name escapes me at the moment) who owns them decides to shore up their organizations finances for the Magic, by cutting some extra expenses like the Solar Bears. Not saying they will, I'm just saying even the owners on that level are taking a hit in their revenue.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I didn't know that was their reputation.

If they did buy the Cyclones, then I think it would be the first time in a long time that an NHL team owned an ECHL team. IIRC, the NJ Devils used to own the Trenton ECHL franchise for a time.
More recently, Karmanos and the Hurricanes owned the Everblades.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I admit I might be nitpicking your comment a lot here. But with the hit all owners will take from Covid, Orlando wouldn't be on solid ground. If the family (their name escapes me at the moment) who owns them decides to shore up their organizations finances for the Magic, by cutting some extra expenses like the Solar Bears. Not saying they will, I'm just saying even the owners on that level are taking a hit in their revenue.

Not nitpicking at all. A very reasonable analysis of Orlando. It's something that most ECHL teams are going to be subject to. I would doubt that too many ECHL teams are the sole business interest of the the team owner. I can't think of one offhand, but there could be many. If an ownership's core businesses are being hit hard by the ongoing situation, the team that the own will fall into the same scenario you posed about Orlando.

Reactions: mk80

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
More recently, Karmanos and the Hurricanes owned the Everblades.

Damn. That's my payback for all of my Biden jokes of late. I've probably been to 30-40 Everblades games over the past half decade and I know their history.

Maybe he'll need a roommate in a few years.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
all echl teams are in danger expect Toledo and fort Wayne they will be around forever:banana:

Actually, the situation in FTW isn't as rosy as most think. Their attendance numbers are probably exaggerated by at least one third and they don't have a succession plan in place. The Franke Brothers aren't spring chickens and there's no one in the family who is primed to take the reigns when the Brothers expire. Michael Franke said this in an interview:

2/17 Inside The Zone – Komets president Michael Franke

The future of the team starts around the 18:15 mark. It's a good interview and worth listening to in its entirety. Franke's an entertaining guy who is pretty sharp. I've talked to him a few times and he's a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Liebo

May 7, 2018
The whole landscape of the ECHL and AHL level could be changed. I say could be, hopefully not. Not that this is related but this bares watching. Minor League baseball has agreed to merge and contract after the 2020 season. An article regarding the NYPL stated this highly contested and controversial plan was essentially accelerated due to the pandemic. Probably those opposed have bigger problems on their hands. Again not related but something minor league fans

Report: Minor league baseball agrees to plan that would cut teams

Glad you included the disclaimer "Not that this is related" because what's happening in MLB/MiLB was boiling over before the virus turned the world upside down. MLB is executing a power play for the purposes of control, under the veil of finances, travel, and facility standards. They had a fight on their hands until the virus made MiLB too vulnerable to withstand a prolonged battle, so the minors are caving.

In the AHL and ECHL, it's my understanding teams are making themselves skinny with layoffs, furloughs, and salary cuts. I'm curious how many of those employees will be available to rejoin the teams when businesses kick back into gear. I imagine some of those franchises will also revamp their operation and opt to run leaner than before, with a smaller front office staff. Over the long haul, it bears some watching as to whether their players, fans, and/or sponsors suffer as a result of any cuts. I can also see a scenario where teams return but in a precarious position, needing everything to go right in 20-21 to remain viable. If next season doesn't go quite right, they could be left with no alternatives. In essence, a franchise might not die in battle, but succumb to its wounds down the road.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So... an 8 team ECHL is in the works, right?

We're talking real lean and mean.

All jokes aside, the profit margins for these teams are often thin and year-to-year. Some teams may have the ability to absorb the blow for a while, but we are in a strange and unique environment where teams can't make revenue due to a disease. Ideally, people could prop them up for charitable reasons (this has even happened in the professional ranks, such as in 1977, the NBA's Indiana Pacers had to do a telethon to sell season tickets in order to keep the team in Indianapolis), but for a minor league hockey team? It would be a stretch, especially given that we don't know exactly how long it would be a layoff before consistent hockey would resume.

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Royals schedule is out. Also the new 20th Anniversary logo. They noted in the press release that attendance was up 9% last season. The convention center authority now owns the team, so a little less precarious than a local businessman. However the authority does rely on hotel room taxes for a portion of their income, so that will likely be reduced. The team has been very active on social media, with a series of interviews/blogs about the history of the team, and the local cable access channel has been airing past games with the play by play guy adding new audio commentary. They run their season ticket renewals on a calendar year schedule, so I've already paid four payments toward my 2020-2021 season ticket plan, and some folks have already paid in full for next year. They are giving everyone credit for the games missed at the end of this past season, so I get a reduced payment for the next three months.

I don't think anyone can say with any certainty that any team will be back if another full season is lost, but I don't think the Royals are more susceptible to folding than others. Isn't Toledo owned by the Mudhens organization now? Will there be a minor league baseball season this year? How will that affect them if both teams lose a year?

Royals announce home schedule for 20th anniversary season

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I posted this link on a thread in the AHL section but this definitely affects both the AHL as well as the ECHL. Good read for sure but definitely reinforces the uncertainty unfortunately.

St. Louis Blues: Lengthy Stoppage Could Implode Minor Hockey
since when was Springfield's franchise the Falcons..... that collapsed when Arizona bought them to Tucson, ending the Falcons' tenure.... and it's now the Thunderbirds, aka the Baltimore Clippers/Skipjacks and until the sale 2 years ago Portland, bad reporting by Fansided

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->