2020-21 ECHL Schedule

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This virus will run its course by August or so and there will be an ECHL season. I'm expecting teams to drop out mid-summer as owners will have had their primary businesses hit hard.

If the season does end up getting cancelled, I'd expect the ECHL to shrink by up to half. I can only think of a few franchises which wouldn't have their futures in doubt: Toledo, Fort Wayne, Orlando, Kalamazoo and Kansas City. The rest would be up in the air.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... If the season does end up getting cancelled, I'd expect the ECHL to shrink by up to half. I can only think of a few franchises which wouldn't have their futures in doubt: Toledo, Fort Wayne, Orlando, Kalamazoo and Kansas City. The rest would be up in the air.
Noting that no team should be immune to doubt of their futures under prevailing economic conditions, I think you are short-changing quite a few teams' futures. For instance, I'd like to hear your rationale for excluding the Fuel from your short list. Despite recent legal problems, I'd add at least one of the two ECHL teams owned by the Steven Brothers (Wichita or Tulsa) to that group. Despite their remote location, the latest RC Rush ownership team seems diverse enough & the city's dependence on the team as an arena tenant could influence any folding decision. I don't think the Hoffman Family would be greatly inclined to dump the Everblades & lose a major tenant for Hertz Arena as they try to refill entertainment dates. The Swamp Rabbits' ownership group looks pretty solidly established, and the Icemen would seem to me to be on a relatively strong footing under new ownership by the Kaufmann Family. And I'll continue the drum beat for survival of the Nailers in Wheeling, despite annual predictions of their demise.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
This virus will run its course by August or so and there will be an ECHL season. I'm expecting teams to drop out mid-summer as owners will have had their primary businesses hit hard.

If the season does end up getting cancelled, I'd expect the ECHL to shrink by up to half. I can only think of a few franchises which wouldn't have their futures in doubt: Toledo, Fort Wayne, Orlando, Kalamazoo and Kansas City. The rest would be up in the air.

No Worcester? I mean Cliff Rucker has only plunked down half a million bucks in under three years to local causes, not even counting the donations that have continued since the season was canceled So, yeah, they're probably going to fold right up.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No Worcester? I mean Cliff Rucker has only plunked down half a million bucks in under three years to local causes, not even counting the donations that have continued since the season was canceled So, yeah, they're probably going to fold right up.
Wasn't familiar with their ownership situation.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Noting that no team should be immune to doubt of their futures under prevailing economic conditions, I think you are short-changing quite a few teams' futures. For instance, I'd like to hear your rationale for excluding the Fuel from your short list. Despite recent legal problems, I'd add at least one of the two ECHL teams owned by the Steven Brothers (Wichita or Tulsa) to that group. Despite their remote location, the latest RC Rush ownership team seems diverse enough & the city's dependence on the team as an arena tenant could influence any folding decision. I don't think the Hoffman Family would be greatly inclined to dump the Everblades & lose a major tenant for Hertz Arena as they try to refill entertainment dates. The Swamp Rabbits' ownership group looks pretty solidly established, and the Icemen would seem to me to be on a relatively strong footing under new ownership by the Kaufmann Family. And I'll continue the drum beat for survival of the Nailers in Wheeling, despite annual predictions of their demise.

My overarching point is that a year long suspension by the league would create a lot of problems for a lot of franchises-including my team. I'll go through your list and make brief comments about each of teams you cited.

Perhaps I erred over the Steven Brothers-I don't know anything about them.

RC appears to be a franchise in decline and nothing I know about them would suggest strong immunity to the problems of a year off. Aren't they owned by a number of different people now? Those types of arrangements don't inspire confidence for the long term.

As much as I love Wheeling, they certainly aren't a franchise which suggests long term stability with their attendance numbers.

I've been to enough Fuel games to know that they aren't drawing well. Unless their owners are extremely wealthy, a full year off would create a ton of problems for them-like most other teams. Given that they also have the arena to contend with, the problems of a year long suspension would be exacerbated.

The Icemen's attendance numbers (based on the two games I've seen there) are severely inflated. Once again, I don't know much about the owner and it could very well be that a year off wouldn't impact his finances to the point where the Icemen would be endangered. I hope that's the case.

The Swamp Rabbits are another group owned team and their attendance numbers over the years don't inspire confidence.

The Hoffman Family of Companies seems to be more bark than bite based on the brochures they distribute at Everblades games. They own a lot of mom and pop type businesses which are very susceptible to downturns in tourism. Wouldn't surprise me if they were very heavily leveraged due to the arena purchase and could be taken down by a severe economic downturn.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Off topic question. Would the ECHL consider playing without certain teams this season if local governments do not allow for large public gatherings? Newfoundland and/or the city of St. John's has said no large gatherings until there is a vaccine. Vaccines could possibly take a long time. Is there a chance the ECHL continues play while teams suspend operations for a season like Texas and Mississippi did after the 2005 hurricanes?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Off topic question. Would the ECHL consider playing without certain teams this season if local governments do not allow for large public gatherings? Newfoundland and/or the city of St. John's has said no large gatherings until there is a vaccine. Vaccines could possibly take a long time. Is there a chance the ECHL continues play while teams suspend operations for a season like Texas and Mississippi did after the 2005 hurricanes?
the only issue is would the Growlers be in violation of the lease at Mile One with SJSE, after what they tried pulling in the midst of their championship run

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I would think that since you're the OP, message board protocol affords you the privilege of saying what "off topic" really means. Besides, your line of questioning (which I find intriguing) seems no more off topic than many of the rest of us have wandered.

Reactions: Atlantian

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No team would be in violation of their lease if local rules prohibited them from playing in their home building because both parties would have to follow those local rules.
SJSE has been called into question, not once, but twice, for interfering in a franchise lease, though.... once with the Growlers, then MLSE, THOUGH...... they don't own either franchise, 210.....

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Teams that have released their schedule so far:
Adirondack
Allen
Atlanta (since removed)
Florida
Greenville
Jacksonville
Kansas City (partial)
Rapid City

Possibly more. Can't remember all. All of these schedules are most likely going to be affected if a team like Newfoundland has to suspend operations.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Given the thinnest of margins it's going to be anyone's guess what happens. For many teams a cancellation of next season is going to be tough. The large public gathering and social distance guidelines will probably be complicated on a regional basis. If the NFL is talking about operating next season with no fans then all the major league organizations will be worth watching. Adirondack is a thought to be a go for next season but pretty much all major Summer and Fall related events in New York are becoming cancelled. The NYS Fair in Syracuse is in geopardy and one of NYS's largest summer sports events the Saratoga Horse Racing season (just a short drive from Adirondack/Glens Falls) looks to operate on simulcast and television basis only, no fans.

I see no possible way how any minor league can operate with no gate revenue. The American League couldnt operate that way unless fully subsidized by the NHL, and I am sure after this mess the NHL teams will have much less desire to take on the burden of owning their minor league teams...

We "might" see minor league contraction and a transition back, who knows....anyone's guess. Arenas are going to be a mess after going dark for so long, and it's not going to be pretty for cash strapped city and county owned arenas. Arenas in the northeast that are municipally owned by already high taxed, cash strapped, and virus hit areas bare watching. I hope to God that that things ease up soon and we are blessed with some divine intervention and things get better, please be safe everyone.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... All of these schedules are most likely going to be affected if a team like Newfoundland has to suspend operations.
With traditional ECHL regular season scheduling emphasizing divisional play, Adirondack should be the only team taking a schedule hit within the group you listed, presuming "a team like Newfoundland" = Newfoundland. Schedule releases to date were clearly motivated by the historical business model of leaning forward to get corporate sponsors on board & season ticket holders signed up & arena dates secured. The uncertain effects of the pandemic will become certain in the next few months, at which time this will all be tossed in a blender & poured out as a big gooey mess of a 2020-21 (or maybe 2021-22) season.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
I can logically see Brampton and possibly Reading folding. Adirondack, Newfoundland, and Worcester "seem" stable.
Just imagine north divisions team's schedule's if another northern team folds. Yikes. Next year could be rough but at least Troiv Rivereies is getting a echl team most likely

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I can logically see Brampton and possibly Reading folding. Adirondack, Newfoundland, and Worcester "seem" stable.
Just imagine north divisions team's schedule's if another northern team folds. Yikes. Next year could be rough but at least Troiv Rivereies is getting a echl team most likely
not a guarantee T-R Starts, if there's no league, Reading isn't going anywhere

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Cincinnati Cyclones could very much be in trouble if next season is cancelled. Its owners are Nederlander and AEG. Nederlander mainly operates theaters and AEG owns and operates arenas, various sports teams and promotes concerts. Neither of these companies are generating any meaningful income now. The longer this goes on, the more likely either or both of these companies are likely to suffer financial wounds which could be fatal.

After all the trials and tribulations of pro hockey in Cincinnati, it really would be a shame if this virus and the governmental response to it is what kills hockey in Cincinnati after the Cyclones had become a stable and viable franchise. I'd like to think that if the Cyclones go under, then someone else will pick up the pro hockey banner in Cincinnati, but who knows. The Cyclones and Heritage Bank Arena could likely be purchased for a song if things get really bad but there's no guarantee that they would be.

Right now I'd estimate the Cyclones chances of not returning at less than 10%, but that number goes up as the time that live entertainment is completely shut down increases.

Last edited:

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
The whole landscape of the ECHL and AHL level could be changed. I say could be, hopefully not. Not that this is related but this bares watching. Minor League baseball has agreed to merge and contract after the 2020 season. An article regarding the NYPL stated this highly contested and controversial plan was essentially accelerated due to the pandemic. Probably those opposed have bigger problems on their hands. Again not related but something minor league fans

Report: Minor league baseball agrees to plan that would cut teams

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Cincinnati Cyclones could very much be in trouble if next season is cancelled. Its owners are Nederlander and AEG. Nederlander mainly operates theaters and AEG owns and operates arenas, various sports teams and promotes concerts. Neither of these companies are generating any meaningful income now. The longer this goes on, the more likely either or both of these companies are likely to suffer financial wounds which could be fatal.

After all the trials and tribulations of pro hockey in Cincinnati, it really would be a shame if this virus and the governmental response to it is what kills hockey in Cincinnati after the Cyclones had become a stable and viable franchise. I'd like to think that if the Cyclones go under, then someone else will pick up the pro hockey banner in Cincinnati, but who knows. The Cyclones and Heritage Bank Arena could likely be purchased for a song if things get really bad but there's no guarantee that they would be.

Right now I'd estimate the Cyclones chances of not returning at less than 10%, but that number goes up as the time that live entertainment is completely shut down increases.
Maybe the Pegulas use some of the money they saved by treating their employees like crap and buy the Cyclones?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Maybe the Pegulas use some of the money they saved by treating their employees like crap and buy the Cyclones?

I didn't know that was their reputation.

If they did buy the Cyclones, then I think it would be the first time in a long time that an NHL team owned an ECHL team. IIRC, the NJ Devils used to own the Trenton ECHL franchise for a time.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I didn't know that was their reputation.

If they did buy the Cyclones, then I think it would be the first time in a long time that an NHL team owned an ECHL team. IIRC, the NJ Devils used to own the Trenton ECHL franchise for a time.

Before someone comes in and posts an incomprehensible essay on how this wrong, it obviously doesn't include the NHL teams buying ECHL franchises to acquire locations for the AHL's western move. The Trenton ECHL franchise was owned by the New Jersey Devils for a long while (5 years?) before the Devils essentially gave the franchise away.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad