2020/21 Club Season Review

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With most of the big fixtures done and titles give out, it's time to look back on the season that was.

Some things to consider;
  1. Biggest surprises and disappointments
  2. Best players
  3. Best Managers
  4. Favourite teams to watch
  5. Best and worst signings

Also, feel free to drop your club's review as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Biggest surprises : Lille, Lens.
Biggest disappointments : PSG, Lyon, Nice.
Best players : Mbappe is IMO the best player in the world this season.
Best managers : Pep by default. Great season until the last game where he beat himself.
Favourite teams to watch : Atalanta, Lens, Sassuolo, Leeds, Brighton (didn't watch as much as I wanted).
Best signings : Burak Yilmaz (0 euro)
Worst signing : can't think of anyone who sucked hard after a recent transfer.

Season review :
Gorgeous season in Ligue 1. Lille with a great year, PSG in trouble, Monaco and Lyon racing for 3rd, great race against relegation, Lens and Brest playing great football.
Next year with more ambitious coaches seems like quite the season.

Reactions: S E P H

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
With most of the big fixtures done and titles give out, it's time to look back on the season that was.

Some things to consider;
  1. Biggest surprises and disappointments
  2. Best players
  3. Best Managers
  4. Favourite teams to watch
  5. Best and worst signings

Also, feel free to drop your club's review as well.
1. Surprise Chelsea (kind of), Lille
2. Best players, Kante/Messi/Lewandowski
3. Thomas Tuchel
4. Atalanta, Leicester, Leeds, Dortmund
Best signing: Edouard Mendy/Luis Suarez,

worst signing: not keeping Luis Suarez. Timo Werner

Reactions: robertmac43

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Biggest surprises: West Ham, Lille, AC Milan
Biggest dissapointments: Arsenal, Juventus, Barcelona
Best Managers: Gian Piero Gasperini, Marcelo Bielsa, Christophe Galtier, Brendan Rogers, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Antonio Conte
Best teams to watch: Atalanta, Leeds, Roma
Best signings: Edouard Mendy, Ruben Dias, Luis Suarez
Worst signings: Hachim Ziyech, Thiago Alcantara, Timo Werner and because he never played, Donny Van De Beek.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tuchel as best coach is weird.
Beat the record for most losses with PSG in a half season in more than a decade.
And then it took a Leicester meltdown to put Chelsea in the top 4 in the league.

Reactions: AB13

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
  1. Biggest surprises and disappointments: Surprises for me are Chelsea, Lille, Monaco, West Ham, Union Berlin. Disappointments are BVB, Liverpool, Barca, Sheffield.
  2. Best players: Kane, Mbappe, Benzema, Grealish, Mount, Lewandowski, Muller, Haaland, Messi
  3. Best Managers: Gasperini, Tuchel, Conte, Galtier
  4. Favourite teams to watch: Chelsea, Atalanta, Leeds
  5. Best and worst signings: Best is Thiago Silva, worst is potentially the Pjanic/Arthur swap which seemed strange for both parties at the time and continues to.

Season review for Chelsea: what can I even say? I went into this year extremely excited about what this team could do. The turbulence of the fall was then followed up by a shambolic holiday period, and when we drew Atletico in the R16 I was certain that this would be another early UCL exit for us. I said at the time of the Tuchel appointment that I was nervous about it because I knew his quality but also knew his history of falling out with boards. So far so f***ing good. This wasn't meant to be the year that we won the Champion's League. The hope was that this team would be in the title race (whoops) to lay the groundwork for a real title challenge next year, and maybe a good European run the year after that. But instead they went 0-100. The funny part of it is that basically every single match in the UCL knockout stages was pretty comfortable because this system Tuchel has set up is so effective at controlling big games, and so, ironically enough, there are fewer extremely memorable moments than past UCL runs which were more turbulent. But it really is remarkable.

The league was a slightly different story, and we should've qualified for Europe more comfortably, but honestly IDGAF.

Mason Mount, Reece James, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Tammy Abraham, Billy Gilmour. They all now have UCL winners' medals. Next year we push on and try to win the league.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How is Chelsea a surprise? Reminded me a bit of Spurs reaching the final in the CL - other than Chelsea winning of course. Hardly impressive in the league and we all know teams can go on runs in the CL without being brilliant. If anything I'm surprised they didn't do better in the league - even if you got to give players time to settle in. Got a far superior squad to United and with the injuries Liverpool had I would say they should have been better than Liverpool as well.

Biggest surprises and disappointments

I don't follow other than the PL close enough to really say. I can't say how much of a surprise Lille as an example is etc.

Surprise would be West Ham. Maybe also Aston Villa. If Grealish hadn't gotten injured they would have been right up there around 5-6th. Then again injuries is a part of the game so...

Disappointment I would say Spurs. The year before it felt like one DM away from being at least half decent. Can't fault Højbjerg, but the team just looked worse. One thing is 7th. So many good teams in the PL so that a team like Spurs is hardly guaranteed to always beat the likes of Arsenal, Leicester etc. I can kind of live with that, but the way the team played for so much of the season was just so disappointing.

Best players

Harry Kane and Grealish. I don't watch PSG enough to say much about Mbappe. Haaland I watched a lot. Sensational for his age, but certainly not as good as the likes of Kane - yet. Pretty sure he'll get there - and quite possible become even better.

Best Managers

Moyes and Smith. Also loved how Brighton played. With a half decent striker I'm sure they would have done very well this season. Fulham also impressed in the way they played. So Potter and Parker would also be on that list. What Moyes got out of that WH-squad though is just sensational. So for this season I would say Moyes was the best in England.

Favourite teams to watch

Villa, Leeds, Brighton and Fulham. Probably in that order.

Best and worst signings

Early days, but 30m on Reguilon would right now look like a horrible signing. Doherty almost as bad, but he was at least cheaper. Another Spurs target probably up there among the worst in Beek. Brewster - horrible signing. Ridiculous fee. Silva at Wolves. Early days of course, but insane fee. Semedo not exactly worth his money either.

Of the good. Martinez for Villa. Absolutely amazing. Sensational goalkeeper. Silva on a free. James for Everton. I don't know if Harrison counts for Leeds. Fofana. Dias for City - extremely expensive, but just as good. Soucek. What a signing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Without a doubt the biggest shock in all of European club football this past season was St Johnstone doing the cup double in Scotland. Imagine if Charlton were to do a cup double in England next season, that's how insane what St Johnstone doing what they did was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad