Salary Cap: 2020-21 Cap Could Go Between $84M to $88.2M

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Time to offersheet Dubois? 5*10.5? 2 first and a second and a third? With Suzuki/KK being cheap for next 2 years, and then probably another cap increase with Seattle joining is it time to go that route? How many more points would that bring in the standing? enought to get into the playoffs assuming we trade Drouin+ or Domi+ for a top4 LHD.

Any thoughts?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Time to offersheet Dubois? 5*10.5? 2 first and a second and a third? With Suzuki/KK being cheap for next 2 years, and then probably another cap increase with Seattle joining is it time to go that route? How many more points would that bring in the standing? enought to get into the playoffs assuming we trade Drouin+ or Domi+ for a top4 LHD.

Any thoughts?

If there is someone I target for an offer sheet again, PLD is the one I go for.

Reactions: blarneylad

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Good news for teams desperately needing additional cap for next season and for current players looking for new contracts this summer I guess. It doesn't really matter much for the Habs though who haven't spent to the cap the past few seasons.

Tinfoil hat on. :) Molson and MB knew this Habs team weren't gonna make the playoffs the past 3 years so Molson told MB to save him a few million by not spending to the cap to cover for any 1st round playoff revenue lost.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Good news for teams desperately needing additional cap for next season and for current players looking for new contracts this summer I guess. It doesn't really matter much for the Habs though who haven't spent to the cap the past few seasons.

Tinfoil hat on. :) Molson and MB knew this Habs team weren't gonna make the playoffs the past 3 years so Molson told MB to save him a few million by not spending to the cap to cover for any 1st round playoff revenue lost.
You can remove your hat. Molson doesn’t have to do a thing to make his purchase more profitable. Could his purchase be more profitable if we made the playoffs? Yes. That’s is where we are at...

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
So the Habs will have between $22.65M and $26.65M with 14 players signed.

Only RFA to signed are Max Domi and Victor Mete
Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Fleury, Romanov (probably) all available for less than $1M

There's options there.

Next year (the year after) we have Gallagher, Petry, Tatar and Danault to sign. The fool in charge may sign them all.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This is exactly why the Aho offer sheet should have been a lot higher. His cap hit will likely be a bargain in a couple years.
It is already a huge bargain. Offering him 10M+ would have been the reasonable offer that any person with half a brain would do but .... Bergevin.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Why would Dubois accept an offersheet from us?

I think he is in good term with his team and doesn't plan to listen offer from other teams.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Habs get more cash to spend (overspend) on players they might want to attract (UFA or RFA offer sheet) but, more Cap space for teams to keep their own UFAs (reducing the UFA pool Mon would have been able to tap into) or match RFA offer sheets.

MON might be tempted to make a play overspending on one UFA to address the weakness on D but, that's a double edged sword, with so many players looking to renew their contracts in the short term (pending UFAs and RFAs).

If nothing else, Bergevin has been pretty good at managing the team's Cap structure.

That's why I believe his 'perhaps we'll trade a forward for some help on D' transparency might be directed at Max Domi, whose upcoming contract as an RFA risks setting the mark for future contract negotiations internally.

Avoiding an overpay there and letting some other team deal with that contract negotiation can limit the ask with other Hab players going forward.

Personally, I'd overpay Barrie for 7 years (ages 29-35), move Petry for futures and flip Domi (ideally Drouin) for Girard in Colorado.

Two PP quarterbacks, one from the right and one from the left (who can actually play together on the PP if you want because Barrie has a strong enough point shot to be a trigger on his off side) to go with Weber and Chiarot next year, then Weber and Romanov the following year once the Russian D has tuned into the NHL's game.

Revamping MON's D this way in one offseason could seriously jump-start this lineup offensively and defensively, IMO.

Unfortunately, TOR may now have found the money to re-sign Barrie. Maybe they had an insider tip into how much the Cap was rising and this influenced how they dealt with Barrie, ultimately, at the deadline this year?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Don't max entry level contracts go up to 3ish millions with bonuses ?

Well that's hard to figure out since we don't know the details and since KK amount for 2,250,000, i doubt he got all of them.
Having said that, i think there won't be any overage bonus since the Habs got enough money this year anyway.

Next year (the year after) we have Gallagher, Petry, Tatar and Danault to sign. The fool in charge may sign them all.

As of now, considering the cap increase this year and the next, they have around 49 millions for that summer and i'm sure a lot of things will change in the next couple of months.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Gotta go out and sign a quality stopgap like Krug, Hall, Pietrangelo for a short term overpayment. It's the only way a star will sign here and if you keep it for 2-3 years, we know we have enough cap space to pay everybody.

Bergevin wants to make the playoffs, so it makes sense to improve the club.

Krug would make the most sense since he's a LHD, something like 11M for 3 years (I know it sounds dumb but if you have the space available, why not?) or 8M for 2-3 years of TJ Brodie

When the deal is up you hope Suzuki/Caufield/KK/Romanov/others have reached their potential and can carry the club

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Gotta go out and sign a quality stopgap like Krug, Hall, Pietrangelo for a short term overpayment. It's the only way a star will sign here and if you keep it for 2-3 years, we know we have enough cap space to pay everybody.

Krug would make the most sense since he's a LHD, something like 11M for 3 years (I know it sounds dumb but if you have the space available, why not?) or 8M for 2-3 years of TJ Brodie

When the deal is up you hope Suzuki/Caufield/KK/Romanov/others have reached their potential and can carry the club

I agree with the logic behind this. I don't think you need to pay Krug 11M to get him but, I prefer paying 9.5M -10M for Krug than 8M to Brodie.

You get more impact from drug than Brodie, IMO and he is a lefty to play alongside Weber, whereas Brodie is a lefty who is actually better as a RHD.

Now, imagine if MON traded Petry for futures and could sign both Krug and Barrie? They have the Cap room after trading Petry and re-signing Domi.

Instantly better D can go a long way towards improving this team. sprinkle in a little gradual progression from the yewts (to quote Joe Pesci)?

I'd love Barrie as a replacement for Petry.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Not sure if Krug would come to the Habs for less money than the Bruins are currently paying him....he could stay with the B's for a discount, but no way he does this for Bergevin....

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020
Vatanen could be a bargain if we get him 5M for 3 years in case we can't sign either Barrie or Krug. What you think.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
So a 3M hike on the low side and a 7M increase on the high side? 2 full years before the tv contract renewal?

Gaaaawd dayum. I predicted 5 to 8M in 2022, they're already putting it up this year. Where are the tv contract naysayers now? Yeah..

Watch everybody around us get better with RFA & UFA deals. We will....... stagnate. And stagnate. And stagnate some ****ing more.

Reactions: Habs4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad