Salary Cap: 2020/21 CAP Allocations

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah I understand there are pressures all over the place. Especially when you're still paying for freaking Phil Kessel for a couple more seasons! I just think that moving Marleau was wasteful (moving a veteran, someone who is still useful, and having to give away a 1st round pick). Like other people were saying: Dubas wasn't forced to. He chose to. Other GMs just live with the fact that some players are overpaid, and not always so good on the end of their contract/career. I also think many leaf fans didn't like the deal, and decided not to like him based on that.

We'll see how this post-season goes, but I don't think it would have been so important to have Marleau shipped away.
Something had to give though. With the cap maxed out if Marleau didn't go the equivalent dollars would have needed to be shipped out.

Reactions: kb

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Something had to give though. With the cap maxed out if Marleau didn't go the equivalent dollars would have needed to be shipped out.

I can't claim that I would have had a perfect solution, but I can't stand the way leaf fans all of a sudden become fans of contracts.

edit - it's like fans determined that they were no longer going to cheer for Marleau once he became a 2nd year player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't claim that I would have had a perfect solution, but I can't stand the way leaf fans all of a sudden become fans of contracts.

edit - it's like fans determined that they were no longer going to cheer for Marleau once he became a 2nd year player.
We have a very large and diverse fan base with varying levels of understanding of the game.
Unfortunately the cap has become a huge part of the sport. It is a little strange when bad moves by management is held against the player.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We have a very large and diverse fan base with varying levels of understanding of the game.
Unfortunately the cap has become a huge part of the sport. It is a little strange when bad moves by management is held against the player.

Agreed.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Some clown on a popular Canadian sports media has Leafs listed #1 as being effected by the flat cap. I won’t even link it. Just pathetic do nothing know nothing garbage.
Lazy uninformed stuff like these articles beg the question how they even have a job.

Reactions: Duke16 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Some clown on a popular Canadian sports media has Leafs listed #1 as being effected by the flat cap. I won’t even link it. Just pathetic do nothing know nothing garbage.
Lazy uninformed stuff like these articles beg the question how they even have a job.
They do have a job. Creating negativity about the Leafs, and trolling Leaf fans.

What did you think their job was? :)

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I read an article that talks about 5 teams, that will be affected (leafs were included), didn’t see one with leafs #1

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I read an article that talks about 5 teams, that will be affected (leafs were included), didn’t see one with leafs #1
I linked the hockeynews article on that myself. It was a reasonable article. Not really in depth but it was a fair piece of writing. Ha I’m not even going to say where it is. Don’t click on it plz, you won’t be the same :)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People have to stop saying that Dubas had to trade a 1st to get rid of Marleau.

PIT made efforts to acquire Marleau:

"Patrick is a player who can play anywhere in our lineup," Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said.

Marleau would only waive the nmc to go to an east coast team that would buy him out, or to a west coast team of his choice.

The Sharks wouldnt tske him at his cap hit and the Pens seemingly wanted him to play not buy him out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->