Salary Cap: 2020/21 CAP Allocations

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This complete and utter lack of knowledge of the LTIR rules basically makes this whole article useless.

LTIR contracts do not help the Leafs out in any way. At least the writer should get the basics right before (s)he starts an article.

And there are 17 players signed, not 16.

Yeah, theres a lot of misunderstanding about how ltir works. The Leafs were in a unique position last offsesson which isnt going to be repeated this one

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, theres a lot pf misunderstanding about how ltir works. The Leafs were in a unique position last offsesson which isnt going to be repeated this one
Exactly - the unique position being that the knew they were going into LTIR, so they needed Clarkson's cap hit to get them as close to the cap on opening day as possible (to set the ACSL).

If they didn't have Horton on the books, they wouldn't have made the trade for Clarkson - as the Leafs would have been cap compliant to start the season.

Reactions: Menzinger

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
just an idea... thoughts on trading Nylander to NJ for Severson? fills a need and we save $2 million + in cap space.
Nylander put up points right there with JT,Matthews,Marner since Keefe was hired. It’s a team friendly contract to the degree Kadri was now. Barrie’s play after Keefe came in saved that trades toxic look and a good return for Kerfoot or from Kerfoot if he stays still doesn’t equate to Kadri value.

I wouldn’t like to see Nylander moved. I know them 4 big contracts are somewhat restrictive but who else has the term and the youth and the quality at the same level except edmonton. I think its just Edmonton and Leafs comparable but not sure off top of my head. I hope they don’t move him :)

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
What is the ++ that would need to come with Severson?
no ++... other than I guess cap space. As a fan of both teams I value both players equally. Nylander is a legit top 6 forward and Severson is a legit top 4 defenseman.
all of that said I would prefer to keep Nylander. I'm just trying to think of ways to fill a need and save cap space at the same time..

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Nylander put up points right there with JT,Matthews,Marner since Keefe was hired. It’s a team friendly contract to the degree Kadri was now. Barrie’s play after Keefe came in saved that trades toxic look and a good return for Kerfoot or from Kerfoot if he stays still doesn’t equate to Kadri value.

I wouldn’t like to see Nylander moved. I know them 4 big contracts are somewhat restrictive but who else has the term and the youth and the quality at the same level except edmonton. I think its just Edmonton and Leafs comparable but not sure off top of my head. I hope they don’t move him :)
I agree brother. I like Nylander, I think he's going to breakout. I also think Severson would look great on a better team, the Devils are absolutely terrible. Severson did look pretty awesome during the past World Cup as well.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
no ++... other than I guess cap space. As a fan of both teams I value both players equally. Nylander is a legit top 6 forward and Severson is a legit top 4 defenseman.
all of that said I would prefer to keep Nylander. I'm just trying to think of ways to fill a need and save cap space at the same time..

The problem here is i dont tbink the Leafs management views Nylander as just a top 6 forward; if his scoring pace continues he becomes one of the best bang for your buck deals on the team

Any trade involving him would need to reflect that dynamic

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I agree brother. I like Nylander, I think he's going to breakout. I also think Severson would look great on a better team, the Devils are absolutely terrible. Severson did look pretty awesome during the past World Cup as well.
I’m going to have to pay more attention to Severson i guess eh. I’m not up to speed on him at all. You know what i think and it’s important to me. I would like to see some picks on defense like Dermott and Sandin be the cure for the cap. Trading mid tier guys like Kerfoot,Johnsson, and to a lesser extent Kappy i am good with. I like that top four so much i just think keep it until you really must move one.
Drafting a defense as solid as we draft forwards and we can start really hoping for the elusive Cup with best of them.

edit: Willy was top ten in scoring for right wingers and had a little less in minutes but not a bigpile. He ranked good with the top guys on right wing. More like top line right winger than top 6 likely. NHL.com Stats

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I am just thinking that Severson and the cap space alone is not enough of a return in a vacuum, even if it frees up cap space. Nylander is younger and comes with more contract control. Severson is not a top-2 D, but he is a very good #4 on a Cup team. Nylander should be able to bring back more than that IMO.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am just thinking that Severson and the cap space alone is not enough of a return in a vacuum, even if it frees up cap space. Nylander is younger and comes with more contract control. Severson is not a top-2 D, but he is a very good #4 on a Cup team. Nylander should be able to bring back more than that IMO.

I think the Leafs would be more interested in a deal involving Kap+ for a guy like Severson

Reactions: qqaz and kb

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Most leaf fans typically don't want to trade any of the "big 4".

Why is that?

So many good things happened to this franchise when TOR was willing to give up good players: Fuhr, Leeman, Wendel, etc.

Yes I know TOR needs young ELC types to fill in the gaps, but good luck with that. KD keeps trading draft picks. Our prospect pool isn't exactly shining right now.

I don't know why fans think that KD is going to hit a homerun by moving Kap or Johnsson. They are just going to get some kind of 3 million dollar equivalent in return.

KD has to give up quality to get quality. Hoping that someone like Kerfoot might work out as a 3C is wishful and short-sighted.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Why is that?

So many good things happened to this franchise when TOR was willing to give up good players: Fuhr, Leeman, Wendel, etc.

Yes I know TOR needs young ELC types to fill in the gaps, but good luck with that. KD keeps trading draft picks. Our prospect pool isn't exactly shining right now.

I don't know why fans think that KD is going to hit a homerun by moving Kap or Johnsson. They are just going to get some kind of 3 million dollar equivalent in return.

KD has to give up quality to get quality. Hoping that someone like Kerfoot might work out as a 3C is wishful and short-sighted.
When was the last time something good happened to this franchise?
IMO the Team should count their blessings being gifted with these great players not see what they can turned them into

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
When was the last time something good happened to this franchise?
IMO the Team should count their blessings being gifted with these great players not see what they can turned them into

In the 90's?

We are blessed with gifted players, but they were signed with the premise that:

1. Our Defense is fine.
2. The cap will go up and these players' contracts will appear valued.

I don't fault Dubas for #2, but it did seem a lot at the time to put so much money into 4 players.

I also think that a few more role players need to be acquired in order to compete. Denis Malgin just doesn't cut it.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Why is that?

We have 10 draft picks this year and since Dubas took over for Lou he has traded 11 picks out and brought 11 picks back in.

Regardless of the round it's not like he's just punting away picks for rentals like Columbus did last year. and not bringing anything back in

We also have 3 great prospects in Robertson/Sandin/Liljegren to go with a team that should be in the top 5-10 in the league every year. Prospect pool is fine.

You should be blaming Lou for blowing two drafts on big guys and blowing 2nds on 4th line rentals. But the Dubas keeps trading away picks thing needs to stop. He had to trade a 1st to get rid of Marleau, and the rest of the ones he traded were used to make the team better for more than 1 season.

Reactions: weems and kb

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In the 90's?

We are blessed with gifted players, but they were signed with the premise that:

1. Our Defense is fine.
2. The cap will go up and these players' contracts will appear valued.

I don't fault Dubas for #2, but it did seem a lot at the time to put so much money into 4 players.

I also think that a few more role players need to be acquired in order to compete. Denis Malgin just doesn't cut it.

The thing is, the the team can potentially solve those two issues withiut giving up one of the big four.

Its a lot easier to get a new depth scorer than it is to replace a guy like Marner and Nylander

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think the Leafs would be more interested in a deal involving Kap+ for a guy like Severson

I proposed a Kap+Dermott for Severson trade on the main board, and most Devils fans said no.

They probably dont know Dermott much, but it's safe to say no reasonable add to Kapanen will land Severson.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I proposed a Kap+Dermott for Severson trade on the main board, and most Devils fans said no.

They probably dont know Dermott much, but it's safe to say no reasonable add to Kapanen will land Severson.

Thats fair: hes probably not even on the market.

Kap +Dermott or Liljgren would return a VERY good D man from some team though. Id say Kap on his own could get a top 4 guy too

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We have 10 draft picks this year and since Dubas took over for Lou he has traded 11 picks out and brought 11 picks back in.

Regardless of the round it's not like he's just punting away picks for rentals like Columbus did last year. and not bringing anything back in

We also have 3 great prospects in Robertson/Sandin/Liljegren to go with a team that should be in the top 5-10 in the league every year. Prospect pool is fine.

You should be blaming Lou for blowing two drafts on big guys and blowing 2nds on 4th line rentals. But the Dubas keeps trading away picks thing needs to stop. He had to trade a 1st to get rid of Marleau, and the rest of the ones he traded were used to make the team better for more than 1 season.

People have to stop saying that Dubas had to trade a 1st to get rid of Marleau.

PIT made efforts to acquire Marleau:

"Patrick is a player who can play anywhere in our lineup," Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

"Patrick is a player who can play anywhere in our lineup," Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said.

So Pittsburgh traded for a $6.25 million player with a year left on his contract with a NMC that he was only willing to waive for San Jose?

Logic is a very good thing when applied. Otherwise we get posts like this.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

That's a generous offer but I don't see why NJ would be interested in moving a good RD under contract for another 3 years at a reasonable rate. Here's how you tempt them to move Severson: Kapanen and Liljegren (future replacement for Severson maybe as good eventually). But that's a painful trade for the Leafs to make.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Have you heard of the salary cap? The $6.25M Marleau is not the same commodity as the $700K Marleau.

The only grain of truth is the black/white thinkers who believe Marleau was no longer a functional NHL player of some degree are obviously wrong.

Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think there are that many that literally think he 'had to', more he 'chose to'.

Him going to the Pens at the end of the year is a totally different scenario though.

Reactions: kb and Buds17

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't think there are that many that literally think he 'had to', more he 'chose to'.

Him going to the Pens at the end of the year is a totally different scenario though.

It is. But fickle leaf fans need to understand that he is a human being, a regular player in the NHL, and desired to play on other teams.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Have you heard of the salary cap? The $6.25M Marleau is not the same commodity as the $700K Marleau.

The only grain of truth is the black/white thinkers who believe Marleau was no longer a functional NHL player of some degree are obviously wrong.

Yeah I understand there are pressures all over the place. Especially when you're still paying for freaking Phil Kessel for a couple more seasons! I just think that moving Marleau was wasteful (moving a veteran, someone who is still useful, and having to give away a 1st round pick). Like other people were saying: Dubas wasn't forced to. He chose to. Other GMs just live with the fact that some players are overpaid, and not always so good on the end of their contract/career. I also think many leaf fans didn't like the deal, and decided not to like him based on that.

We'll see how this post-season goes, but I don't think it would have been so important to have Marleau shipped away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad