Salary Cap: 2020/21 CAP Allocations

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The top is true. He doesn't seem like a good fit as a supportive 3rd wheel for all-stars. He's also doesn't look like he has the brain to equal all-stars (all of the big 4 are top 10-15 in the league at their position.

But that doesn't lead to the bottom line as a conclusion, not by a long shot. He produced like a borderline 1st line player this season with 3rd line minutes and linemates, while being solid defensively, a big time pk threat, and gain some physical play. In a healthy lineup he can be a huge piece for us by driving a 3rd line that is going to get increasingly cheap/young over the remainder of his contract.

And while he doesn't have the skillset to be a great 3rd wheel, in times of injury he could likely be a fine 2nd fiddle to JT to keep us going with 2 top lines.

When his contract is up we'll likely have to choose between him and Nylander (not as equals), but that's two years away.

The reality of the Leafs CAP situation is that at least one of the third line players will be traded over the off-season. Johnston is injured so teams will want to see him play games before they will be willing to trade for him and Kerfoot can at least play some at center as they don't have much depth there. It would probably be asking too much for any of Spezza, Engvall, Gauthier or Brooks to center the third line on a regular basis. This seems to leave Kapanen as the odd man out.
The nice thing is all three have front loaded contracts so in real dollars they are each a bargain and Kapanen having the highest value would return the most in a trade and with a flat cap expected for at least the next three years a player drafted this year on an ELC making the team in a year or two, like Robertson may this year, could be huge.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Out

Kerfoot-Detroit 2020 SJS 3rd
AJ-Sens 2020 NYI 2nd, 2020 6th STL
Dermott-2020 Ana 2020 2nd, 6th Nas

In
Tanev 5x4 (don’t know if we can get him this cheap but fingers crossed) We likely can go as high as 5.5. If we strike out on Tanev DeMelo would likely be a great option and considerably cheaper.
Mikheyev 1x1.5 then signed 3x3 after Seattle expansion so we don’t need to protect
Spezza 1x700
Gauthier 2x850
Liljegren gets called up at TDL

9531F876-FB9A-4948-93EC-DBE3EB69528D.png

Nylander is moved to 2C or 3C and JT gets the harder assignments. This is all based on Robertson making the team and playing with JT a vet who can take the kid under his wing.

We gain three 2nd and a third in a very deep draft. Maybe a team is willing to take two of those for a first.

Seattle Expansion

Good number of player are signed after the Seattle expansion (Mikheyev and Hyman). Andersen is likely gone unless he is will to do a one year deal but with Rielly up I think the team let’s Andersen walk.

Matthews
JT
Marner
Nylander
Kap
Engvall
Korskov or Gauthier

Reilly
Muzzin
Tanev

Campbell

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Out

Kerfoot-Detroit 2020 SJS 3rd
AJ-Sens 2020 NYI 2nd, 2020 6th STL
Dermott-2020 Ana 2020 2nd, 6th Nas

In
Tanev 5x4 (don’t know if we can get him this cheap but fingers crossed) We likely can go as high as 5.5. If we strike out on Tanev DeMelo would likely be a great option and considerably cheaper.
Mikheyev 1x1.5 then signed 3x3 after Seattle expansion so we don’t need to protect
Spezza 1x700
Gauthier 2x850
Liljegren gets called up at TDL

View attachment 352971

Nylander is moved to 2C or 3C and JT gets the harder assignments. This is all based on Robertson making the team and playing with JT a vet who can take the kid under his wing.

We gain three 2nd and a third in a very deep draft. Maybe a team is willing to take two of those for a first.

Seattle Expansion

Good number of player are signed after the Seattle expansion (Mikheyev and Hyman). Andersen is likely gone unless he is will to do a one year deal but with Rielly up I think the team let’s Andersen walk.

Matthews
JT
Marner
Nylander
Kap
Engvall
Korskov or Gauthier

Reilly
Muzzin
Tanev

Campbell

I’d protect Hyman at 7th before Gauthier / korskov

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs are very top heavy in salary structure given what they paid out to 2/3 of their young guns and Tavares, so they're hamstrung from making a massive upgrade on D, and the medium term future of Andersen, Rielly and Hyman is a little worrying.

Guys like Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen look like they could be potential cap casualties, and whatever move we make with them needs to be carefully considered.

I prefer futures as opposed to trading for direct need so we can replenish the system a little bit - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Starting to wonder if Jake Muzzin is a bit of a luxury at his new cap hit too. I'm not very high on Dermott, but makes me wonder if we should keep him around in case we need to move Muzzin and suddenly become thinner on LHD. Kind of wish we hadn't extended Muzzin prior to Covid-19, as I'd imagine he'd come back a little cheaper had we waited. Oh well.

On the plus side, I think our top heavy cap isn't the end of the world. Having $28 million on guys like Matthews, Marner and Nylander is still far more preferable than Dallas carrying veteran guys on recent UFA deals that virtually every NHL team has a few of.

A few of the younger teams that are likely to be cup contending rivals have their flaws too. Colorado probably has the most enviable cap situation on paper, until you realize they don't actually have any reasonable budget for goaltending. One acquisition and they're on the same tightrope.

Tampa Bay remains a strong team with some value contracts on the upper end, but they also have some good player but not great contracts like Palat, Gourde, Killorn, Johnson in the way.

We don't have many of those. Edmonton still has its fair share of ugly contracts, no goaltending.

St. Louis has a lot of expensive middle class contracts for players in their 30s and don't have Pietrangelo under contract.

Philadelphia is a strong young nucleus but for some reason have $31 million tied up in Giroux, van Riemsdyk, Hayes and Voracek long term. That's going to stunt them long term over the Covid-19 recovery years.

Vancouver has a strong cast of young players, but they have some ugly contracts such as Loui Eriksson, a lot of expensive middle class players like Miller, Horvat, Roussel, Myers, Edler and none of Markstrom, Hughes nor Pettersson have been signed.

Florida has a great young core and Barkov and Huberdeau are on friendly deals, but lots of problems on the horizon if Bobrovsky doesn't pan out. Much rather have our guys. Not to mention a premium paid in contracts to Stralman and Yandle who are near their mid 30s and a fair share of non value deals for Vatrano, Connolly and Matheson.

Carolina is in pretty good shape, but again, their goalie budget is small and consists of Reimer and Mrazek, which isn't strong, and some serious money left over for Jordan Staal, Nino Niederreiter and Jake Gardiner commanding nearly $15 million.

Even the model rebuild the Rangers are going through has Trouba, Kreider taking up cap hit of $14.5 million long term, as well as other bad expiring deals for Marc Staal, Lundqvist, Brendan Smith that will carry over one more season.

In short, most teams are going to be caught flat footed... and they don't have Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander.

Reactions: 4thline

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Starting to wonder if Jake Muzzin is a bit of a luxury at his new cap hit too. I'm not very high on Dermott, but makes me wonder if we should keep him around in case we need to move Muzzin and suddenly become thinner on LHD. Kind of wish we hadn't extended Muzzin prior to Covid-19, as I'd imagine he'd come back a little cheaper had we waited. Oh well.

Muzzin? He's the only guy we can truly trust against top opposition. We got smushed out there when he was out with injury.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Muzzin? He's the only guy we can truly trust against top opposition. We got smushed out there when he was out with injury.
Damn right he is good. He scored 39 points over the 83 games he has played with us to this point also. Double digits in goals too. He’s good offensively also. That seems to be missed by the board. We have a #1 defenseman in Muzzy also. He’s just a solid player that is a good guy too from everything we hear.

Any team would love to have him and that cap hit is really fair.

edit: Muzzies offense is not missed just on the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Damn right he is good. He scored 39 points over the 83 games he has played with us to this point also. Double digits in goals too. He’s good offensively also. That seems to be missed by the board. We have a #1 defenseman in Muzzy also. He’s just a solid player that is a good guy too from everything we hear.

Any team would love to have him and that cap hit is really fair.
Hot take.

Muzzin made Doughty look better.

There, I said it. lol

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hot take.

There, I said it. lol
Quite the combo ha. He covered his a$$ while he was getting all the points for sure. Not uncommon. Taking nothing away from Doughty with that for me. Doughty is good was good :)

Reactions: kb

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dermott is not behind Sandin. What you mention is incorrect. Sorry.

Maybe in a couple of years but absolutely not yet.

The only reason he wouldn't is because the season didn't finish, but even still unless Sandin suffers a career ending injury I see him making Dermott expendable

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The only reason he wouldn't is because the season didn't finish, but even still unless Sandin suffers a career ending injury I see him making Dermott expendable
Until Sandin's strength and skating speed improve, he will remain behind Dermott. Having said that, his ceiling is quite a bit higher than Dermott's IMO.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

When the season ended Dermott was playing 20+ minutes a night while surviving matchup minutes while we sheltered the shit out of Sandin.

Sandin is a phenomenal prospect, but Dermott is also a great young defenseman. His ability to step up while Rielly/Muzzin were out is a big part of why we're in the playoffs

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hot take.

There, I said it. lol
Muzzin mostly played with Martinez his last 3 full seasons with the Kings. Doughty's Norris season he primarily played with McNabb, and it would be hard to argue that they didn't receive the toughest match-ups and usage.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dermott has a decent bargaining position but not a really strong one. Factor in the flattened cap and he will sign willingly at a fair cost and it won’t be a cap restraint. If it is a restraining request from his agent you will absolutely be correct. A fair deal seems like it is there. Dermott is still a developing prospect nowhere near his prime yet. Touching on other prospects taking his spot, it is possible. Guaranteed they will, definitely not. Management will go for a contract. Sandin is comparable now to Dermott in his first season but possibly viewed as bigger upside by some. I think Dermott is a very very important must sign at this juncture. That being that i would very much like to see him take a leadership role as the young defensemen grow. Home growing Defensemen is paramount right now because of the money we have at forward and the strength at forward. We will be much better off by being patient with defense prospects we have and building the defense depth and strength. Everything about Dermott says building block to defensemen depth to me.

A four or 5 year deal to him sets up a piece but I’m not sure that can be done now. Possible both sides would go three years with some nice front load. The front loaded deal could see him take a longer deal too.

ha getting long here but I wouldn’t trade him right now.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Muzzin mostly played with Martinez his last 3 full seasons with the Kings. Doughty's Norris season he primarily played with McNabb, and it would be hard to argue that they didn't receive the toughest match-ups and usage.
All true. After Muzzin was traded, Doughty had to try to do Muzzin's job as well. It's not really his forte. With the Muzzin and Martinez pairing, they had a top-4 that didn't have to be sheltered.

I wasn't necessarily implying that not playing with Muzzin made him look worse, but Muzzin being traded away from LA did make him worse.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All true. After Muzzin was traded, Doughty had to try to do Muzzin's job as well. It's not really his forte. With the Muzzin and Martinez pairing, they had a top-4 that didn't have to be sheltered.

I wasn't necessarily implying that not playing with Muzzin made him look worse, but Muzzin being traded away from LA did make him worse.
I think it's more they are just a team in decline. Mike Richards being cooked, Dustin Brown aging out, Jeff Carter getting older, combined with less competent coaching since Sutter left I think are just as big or much bigger factors. They were a great team that aged out. While only 30, Doughty has a ton of milage on his body due to the fact he's been the rare player who was a top pairing D-man at 19, while also being a first choice player for Canada at 20, combined with long playoff runs.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
People are really undervaluing Dermott. Although he doesn't have great offensive numbers he has a great transition game. He has positive defensive numbers when he is on the ice. In an expanded role when players went down he performed even better. I would say he is the 2nd best defensive D on our team behind Muzz. He is an excellent bottom pairing d man and I could see him moving up the line up and being more effective. I wouldn't trade a young D who has had quite a solid career so far.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here are some teams up against it in flat cap. We are not in that bad shape and this article shows that but it is not thoroughly in-depth. We have no issues with bad contracts. Just that we may need to trade. To that i say so what else is new. That’s the way it goes for competitive teams with good players.

Which five teams will a flat salary cap hurt the most in 2020-21? - TheHockeyNews

Including that Leafs portion from the article here for easy reference.

4. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
– 16 players signed for 2020-21
– Projected cap space: $4.59 million
– Projected LTIR players: none

The good news: the Leafs actually don’t have one of their mega-talent RFAs to re-sign this summer. They’ve committed almost $30 million annually to William Nylander, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner. Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson have multiple seasons left on the bridge deals they signed last summer. The Leafs even extended veteran UFA defenseman Jake Muzzin this season.

So why are they in trouble? With Tyson Barrie departing as a UFA, they’re again in desperate need of one if not two impactful right-shot defensemen, and there simply isn’t any money available to pursue upgrades there at the moment – especially considering Toronto must squirrel aside some money if it wants to re-sign goalie Frederik Andersen, whose contract expires next summer. To get around the problem, GM Kyle Dubas probably has to dangle one of his mid-tier forwards, none of whom has any movement restrictions on his contract right now: the group including Kapanen, Johnsson and Alexander Kerfoot.

Maybe Dubas can work some wizardry, as a player like Kapanen, for instance, would command plenty of interest on the trade market, and emerging prospect Nick Robertson could fortify the depth chart on the wings as early as next season or even the play-in tournament next month. There’s also a good chance Toronto tries to acquire some more LTIR contracts now that David Clarkson’s and Nathan Horton’s are set to expire this summer. But Dubas will have to do some serious tapdancing just for his roster to break even, and that’s a concerning proposition for a team that needs to get better, not remain stagnant.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Including that Leafs portion from the article here for easy reference.

4. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
– 16 players signed for 2020-21
– Projected cap space: $4.59 million
– Projected LTIR players: none

The good news: the Leafs actually don’t have one of their mega-talent RFAs to re-sign this summer. They’ve committed almost $30 million annually to William Nylander, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner. Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson have multiple seasons left on the bridge deals they signed last summer. The Leafs even extended veteran UFA defenseman Jake Muzzin this season.

So why are they in trouble? With Tyson Barrie departing as a UFA, they’re again in desperate need of one if not two impactful right-shot defensemen, and there simply isn’t any money available to pursue upgrades there at the moment – especially considering Toronto must squirrel aside some money if it wants to re-sign goalie Frederik Andersen, whose contract expires next summer. To get around the problem, GM Kyle Dubas probably has to dangle one of his mid-tier forwards, none of whom has any movement restrictions on his contract right now: the group including Kapanen, Johnsson and Alexander Kerfoot.

Maybe Dubas can work some wizardry, as a player like Kapanen, for instance, would command plenty of interest on the trade market, and emerging prospect Nick Robertson could fortify the depth chart on the wings as early as next season or even the play-in tournament next month. There’s also a good chance Toronto tries to acquire some more LTIR contracts now that David Clarkson’s and Nathan Horton’s are set to expire this summer. But Dubas will have to do some serious tapdancing just for his roster to break even, and that’s a concerning proposition for a team that needs to get better, not remain stagnant.

This complete and utter lack of knowledge of the LTIR rules basically makes this whole article useless.

LTIR contracts do not help the Leafs out in any way. At least the writer should get the basics right before (s)he starts an article.

And there are 17 players signed, not 16.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This complete and utter lack of knowledge of the LTIR rules basically makes this whole article useless.

LTIR contracts DO NOT HELP the Leafs out in any way. At least the writer should get the basics right before (s)he starts an article.

Hey now.

81 + 10.5 - 10 is waaaay better than 81.5

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Clifford comes up in every one of these conversations as though he's going to be the next Clarkson. He's asking for a raise, but we couldn't possibly pay for a role player. Oh no. He has no skill. Instead we need to put our money into Pontus Aberg, Nik Petan, or Denis Malgin. They can generate scoring on our 4th line. "You see this is the new NHL. We don't need intangibles, face punchers, or defensive players..."

Give it a rest. How badly would Clifford set us back?!

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
just an idea... thoughts on trading Nylander to NJ for Severson? fills a need and we save $2 million + in cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad