Salary Cap: 2020/21 CAP Allocations

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
$4.6M to spend
16 players signed
Add in Sandin at 0.9M means $3.7M left with 17 players signed
Then you have Dermy, Mik, Spezza and Cliffy left to sign to get 21 guys on roster
So assuming we do $750,000 minimums for Spezza and Cliffy leaves us with about $3M to sign both Dermy and Mik to 1 year $1.5M deals
I am hoping both guys help us out and do these deals given COVID CAP
Do you think they will?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
$4.6M to spend
16 players signed
Add in Sandin at 0.9M means $3.7M left with 17 players signed
Then you have Dermy, Mik, Spezza and Cliffy left to sign to get 21 guys on roster
So assuming we do $750,000 minimums for Spezza and Cliffy leaves us with about $3M to sign both Dermy and Mik to 1 year $1.5M deals
I am hoping both guys help us out and do these deals given COVID CAP
Do you think they will?
Actually, there are 17 players signed because the cap already includes Johnsson. 18 if you add in Sandin and reduce the amount left to $3.7 million.

I think that probably 2 of the $3ish million players on the third line will be moved.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sign Spezza 750k
Sign Clifford 1m (multi-year)
Trade Johnsson for picks

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
Barabanov/Robertson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Clifford-Spezza-zzz
zzz

Rielly- vvv
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen -Sandin/Lijlegren (loser to the A for max playing time)
Marincin

= 6.2 million for 4 spots
Two zzz's could equal as much as 2.175 (Engvall and Korskov) or as little as 1.65 (Brooks + say Kuhnhakl and Engvall's .175 buried hit)
leaving 4- 4.5 to get Mikheyev and Dermott on multi-year extensions to fill xxx and vvv

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I don't really see any incentive to sign Clifford whatsoever. Not even factoring in the condition on the draft pick to LA, if we want a player like him, of which there are many 3rd/4th line character guys, i'd wait out to November 1st (so weird to say that) because everyone is getting pinched by the cap this year so players of that ilk entering UFA will have less leverage than usual as the top guys gobble up what remains of the leagues total capspace. Alex Pietrangelo is still getting $8M-$9M a year, the rest of the league will have to fight for the rest of the pie.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think there's at least one forward traded (Johnsson?). Clifford would have to really want to remain a Leaf to take that much of a pay cut. I do imagine he'd like to re-sign though. Unless the injury has changed things, I'd guess at more than a one year contract for Mikheyev. A contract for Dermott might be tougher to figure out depending on left/right side alignment on the blueline. I figure there's less of a possibility of an equal balance there (LHD/RHD) going into next season in comparison to this past season.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen are the pieces we'll be saying goodbye to.

Dubas is gonna have to put his chips in on Robertson/Engvall/other cheap pieces to fill out a 3rd and 4th line. I don't see any of the big 4 being traded.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sign Spezza 750k
Sign Clifford 1m (multi-year)
Trade Johnsson for picks

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
xxx-Tavares-Nylander
Barabanov/Robertson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Clifford-Spezza-zzz
zzz

Rielly- vvv
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen -Sandin/Lijlegren (loser to the A for max playing time)
Marincin

= 6.2 million for 4 spots
Two zzz's could equal as much as 2.175 (Engvall and Korskov) or as little as 1.65 (Brooks + say Kuhnhakl and Engvall's .175 buried hit)
leaving 4- 4.5 to get Mikheyev and Dermott on multi-year extensions to fill xxx and vvv
Yes trading AJ changes everything but don't you think that is gonna be a real tough trade given da injury? Is he gonna come back at full strength? or maybe 75%? and it is a big CAP hit for a guy who maybe is done producing at a point every 2 games

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Yes trading AJ changes everything but don't you think that is gonna be a real tough trade given da injury? Is he gonna come back at full strength? or maybe 75%? and it is a big CAP hit for a guy who maybe is done producing at a point every 2 games

AJ and Kerfoot have frontloaded contracts that make them very cheap in actual dollars after July 1st bonuses.
There will be some teams who will want to keep their salary at a minimum and not even reach the cap limit (e.g. Buffalo). These teams will care more about the actual dollars they are paying these players than their cap hit.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Dubas is gonna have to put his chips in on Robertson/Engvall/other cheap pieces to fill out a 3rd and 4th line. I don't see any of the big 4 being traded.

I really do wonder if Dermott will also be on his way out, unless one of Muzz or Sandin moves to the right side.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Dermy is already skating with Rielly on da right side ... been going on for over 2 weeks now .. from what I hear he looks great and Keefe is very happy with what he sees

Link to article/write up about how Dermott has looked and Keefes thoughts. Thanks!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
AJ and Kerfoot have frontloaded contracts that make them very cheap in actual dollars after July 1st bonuses.
There will be some teams who will want to keep their salary at a minimum and not even reach the cap limit (e.g. Buffalo). These teams will care more about the actual dollars they are paying these players than their cap hit.
@JT AM da real deal
Shade over 2.5m per in cash over 3 years, I can't see there being zero GM's willing to take a risk on that. Call it a fixed mid round 2020 pick and a conditional 2021

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

A gentle reminder to all that this reality can't be blamed any longer on the previous GM.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Adios some combination of Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen. Way too expensive of a 3rd line for us.

Hopefully we try Dermott at top-pair RD and he's decent.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Dermy is already skating with Rielly on da right side ... been going on for over 2 weeks now .. from what I hear he looks great and Keefe is very happy with what he sees

3rd pairing - maybe 2nd pairing LHD - promoted to the 1st pairing. 1st pairing left side defenseman swapping sides. I totally expect this work out as a long term solution. Not.

I'm old enough to remember Wade Belak looking like a genuine starting RHD in summer scrimmages, training camp and exhibition games every year until the real games started. All of these experiments require battle testing. In this case I really dislike Rielly forced to his wrong side to do breakouts on the backhand. This turns Rielly into maybe 60-70% of the player he is on the left side. Now Dermott promoted to the 1st pairing with some dominant righthanded defender on the other side: that might work.

Reactions: NinjaKick

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Link to article/write up about how Dermott has looked and Keefes thoughts. Thanks!
A little biased source for sure but Stuey told us directly over beers on our pool patio on weekend ... I am in diligence on buying one of his buildings now to move one of my businesses ... buddies for many years

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
3rd pairing - maybe 2nd pairing LHD - promoted to the 1st pairing. 1st pairing left side defenseman swapping sides. I totally expect this work out as a long term solution. Not.

I'm old enough to remember Wade Belak looking like a genuine starting RHD in summer scrimmages, training camp and exhibition games every year until the real games started. All of these experiments require battle testing. In this case I really dislike Rielly forced to his wrong side to do breakouts on the backhand. This turns Rielly into maybe 60-70% of the player he is on the left side. Now Dermott promoted to the 1st pairing with some dominant righthanded defender on the other side: that might work.
Belak RIP could barely cross over on his weak side without failing over ... no disrespect to his type because I know I was same type but bigger ... but game has changed now and kids like Rielly and Dermy can fly ... they skate at a different level than rest of clubs defenders

kb

Aug 28, 2009
A gentle reminder to all that this reality can't be blamed any longer on the previous GM.
This reality is exactly what good teams will do. Tampa, St. Louis, and the Islanders are in worse shape and have to try to move out crap.
Keep the high priced talent, and make room in the mid salary range. Toronto doesn't have crap contracts to move out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

If our healthy usage this season is any indication the the Rielly-xxx pairing isn't going to be our heavy usage shutdown pair, that will be Muzzin-Holl.

In any case, 22 year old Rielly lead a heavy usage shutdown pair that got a much worse overall team into the playoffs while paired with a journeyman depth defender that has played all of 56 NHL games since then.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Arent they all signed for relatively fair deals where we would expect good value returns?

Seems like the issue was always wasted cap space, not that the team was simply tight against the cap

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad