Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Texas Stars

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas is going to look interesting this year. My guess is they won't have Oettinger or Dellandrea until April. My hope though is Dallas actually signs an UFA center so Dellandrea can spend most of the season with Texas.

Now that we understand the Taxi Squad rules, I think it's pretty unlikely you'd see either Dowling or Fedun down in Texas now. You'll also likely end up with a goalie rotation where Bow and Point are splitting time on the Taxi Squad and in the AHL.

Your Top 3 AHL centers are probably Dellandrea, Kero, and Gardner. You probably have Felhaber, Tufte, Damiani, Mascherin, Caamano, and L'Esperance as Top 9 wingers.

Some combination of Shea, Cecconi, Rosburg, Barteaux, Gleason, and Hanley as your defenders.

Tomas Sholl has been so good for Idaho. He would have been the easy pick for backing up in Texas, but he signed in Slovakia.

There's a chance guys like Caamano and L'Esperance could end up on the taxi squad, but I think they'll be able to keep them in Texas most of the year. I think it's pretty unlikely any of those 6 D end up on the taxi squad.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Harley could play on the AHL.. if a league is inactive the player could be allowed to play in the AHL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Not really a suprise since Gaglardia also owns the Texas Stars. The independently owned teams is where there might be issues.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Time to send in my resume.
Then again even with empty roster spots I don't know if I could handle that kind of rejection.
"we would rather play under manned than have you play for us" is pretty savage

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I opted out of season tickets this season. I'm not going to an in person game until I have the vaccine, and since I'm not in an high risk group, no telling when that will be.

Reactions: Dallasman

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Benn - Hintz - Gurianov
Kiviranta - Pavelski - Radulov
Cogliano - Faksa - Comeau
Dowling - Dickinson - Dellandrea
Robertson - L'Esperance - Caamano

Lindell - Klingberg
Oleksiak - Heiskanen
Sekera - Pysyk
Hanley - Fedun

What's left for Texas?

Damiani, Mascherin, Kero
Tufte, Felhaber, Louis
Gardner

Rosburg, Gleason
Shea, Harley
Honka, Cecconi
Barteux

Seems light??

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Texas also only has 1 goalie in Colton Point right now since teams are required to carry 1 goalie in the Taxi Squad at all times. There will be AHL only signings some point i would imagine.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They have 43 contacts currently.
A maximum of 29 between active roster and taxi.
With 3 long term injuries.
If the use all 6 spots
There's only 11 players for the ahl. 12 with Louis.

Players like Dellandrea aren't going to benefit being on a taxi squad over playing meaningful minutes in the AHL. Same can be said of Harley. And it's not like they can take part in AHL action while simultaneously being on taxi squad.
If they hold to the 7 day quarantine before placing on /off taxi squad those players aren't going to on a the taxi squad for long after Feb 4th (ahl start)

On top of that players on the active roster count towards the cap so they aren't going to use all 23 spots because they need to have maneuverability when Seguin and Bishop come back.
The longer a player spends on the active roster the more it eats into ltir, especially with players like Dellandrea having bonuses.

I'm not 100% certain of the taxi roster specifics as they apply to ltir teams.
But the NHL states it counts as a buried salary.
None of those players make over the threshold(1.025mil iirc) so they won't potentially count (Dellandrea for instance) any extra towards the cap as the full hit will be buried but if teams utilizing ltir have players on the taxi squad with bonuses (Harley, Dellandrea) and those bonuses push them over the threshold (it would) they are potentially using additional ltir just to have those players not playing but available.

And the minute they call them to active roster to play then it is the full hit with bonuses anyway.

We're likely looking at a taxi squad of
Gardner, L'Esperance, Honka, bow. After the ahl starts.
Because all of them have no where else to go as far as potential. It isn't getting ruined missing games, there salaries are all low.

Obviously the start of the season is currently a cluster f***. But I'd expect one of hanley/Fedun to also be waived to the Taxi squad once things normalize. If only to save the extra space.
There is still other moves they have to make to fill out the ahl roster but they might get player loans from teams that opted out too

Reactions: Smelling Salt
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Should be plenty of free agents available to fill out the roster from the teams that opted out, both in the AHL and ECHL, once the season is actually ready to start. Florida, Nashville, and St. Louis prospects also need a place to play this season, so Texas might be a temporary home for some of them as well.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Should be plenty of free agents available to fill out the roster from the teams that opted out, both in the AHL and ECHL, once the season is actually ready to start. Florida, Nashville, and St. Louis prospects also need a place to play this season, so Texas might be a temporary home for some of them as well.
I thought those teams found places to put their prospects this year?

2020-21 NHL Affiliations

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
38 games is actually pretty good was not expecting that many. I doubt the OHL starts before March (actually I doubt they play at all) so Harley should get some quality games in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad