Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Texas Stars

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well i don't think every AHL franchise can make a season work especially those without major NHL involvement. Texas Stars obviously are owned by Gaglardi as well and should be fine but how many teams will not be ?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can only think of 1 independent team in the AHL ... the Chicago Wolves. Owning your AHL team is the norm now.

Are there any other independent holdouts?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The USHL just announced a 54 game season. If they can pull that off ... the AHL can manage.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I can only think of 1 independent team in the AHL ... the Chicago Wolves. Owning your AHL team is the norm now.

Are there any other independent holdouts?

I'm too lazy to look this up but i don't think that many AHL and NHL teams are owned by the same people . Pretty sure at least 10-15 are not.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm too lazy to look this up but i don't think that many AHL and NHL teams are owned by the same people . Pretty sure at least 10-15 are not.
Not Owned by NHL owner
Charlotte
Hershey
Lehigh Valley
Providence
Springfield
Cleveland
Syracuse
Chicago
Grand Rapids
Milwaukee
Rockford
Colorado

(All of them do have NHL affiliates)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was really shocked some of those like Charlotte, Providence, Cleveland, and Grand Rapids weren't owned by the NHL team. I only really link those teams to the NHL franchise. That was interesting to see.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Is this a pretty good look at what the roster could turn out to be? If there is a season that is...

Robertson - Dellandrea - XXX
Mascherin - Gardiner - Caamano
Tufte - Kero - L’Esperance
Felhaber - Damiani - Melnik

XXX - Cecconi
Rosburg - XXX
Gleason - Barteaux

Oettinger
Bow

I am assuming Kiviranta, Dowling, Hanley, and Fedun make the Stars roster. Not sure who fills those roles I would love to give some of those Euro guys a call like we did last season (Kiviranta, Djuse). Seems like the best place to find hidden gems. If we can’t find anyone good could always just find veterans to sign I’d like to get Ty a couple good wingers for his first pro season with Robertson being one of those

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Is this a pretty good look at what the roster could turn out to be? If there is a season that is...

Robertson - Dellandrea - XXX
Mascherin - Gardiner - Caamano
Tufte - Kero - L’Esperance
Felhaber - Damiani - Melnik

XXX - Cecconi
Rosburg - XXX
Gleason - Barteaux

Oettinger
Bow

I am assuming Kiviranta, Dowling, Hanley, and Fedun make the Stars roster. Not sure who fills those roles I would love to give some of those Euro guys a call like we did last season (Kiviranta, Djuse). Seems like the best place to find hidden gems. If we can’t find anyone good could always just find veterans to sign I’d like to get Ty a couple good wingers for his first pro season with Robertson being one of those

I think I say this every offseason but I will re-iterate my preference to sign Euros. These guys are often overlooked prospects that have experience playing in North America but were drafted late or overlooked (e.g., Pius Suter- undrafted but ranked in the top 150 by multiple scouting publications in 2015). There is no investment in their development like there is when you draft players or if you sign out of the CHL like the Stars did with Tye Felhaber. What you see is what you get and in my opinion there is way less of a downside.

Toronto does a great job at plugging depth holes with euros (e.g., recent names include Mikheyev, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, Rosen). Chicago signed Kubalik out of the Swiss league last summer and he was nasty this year. This offseason they signed Pius Suter. Both guys were the top scorer in the Swiss league.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think I say this every offseason but I will re-iterate my preference to sign Euros. These guys are often overlooked prospects that have experience playing in North America but were drafted late or overlooked (e.g., Pius Suter- undrafted but ranked in the top 150 by multiple scouting publications in 2015). There is no investment in their development like there is when you draft players or if you sign out of the CHL like the Stars did with Tye Felhaber. What you see is what you get and in my opinion there is way less of a downside.

Toronto does a great job at plugging depth holes with euros (e.g., recent names include Mikheyev, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, Rosen). Chicago signed Kubalik out of the Swiss league last summer and he was nasty this year. This offseason they signed Pius Suter. Both guys were the top scorer in the Swiss league.

This is my line of thinking as well. These Euro guys can either make the NHL team and force us to waive someone or they can spend some time in the AHL adjusting to the North American style and come up to contribute later. Guys that are playing overage in the Canadian junior leagues usually don’t result in anything then you’re stuck with a three year ELC due to their age.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Most undrafted European free agents aren't signing with NHL out clauses that allow them to leave mid-season. That ship has sailed for this season. I think most teams are tying to land these guys including Dallas. They have a pretty solid scouting group in Europe. They just haven't been as successful landing them. On the other hand, they have been better at landing NCAA guys.

A guy like Puljujarvi probably has an out to come back to the NHL, but that's more of an exception. Honka had one as well last year. That's the norm for a holdout. Benn had one with his German team

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you don't want to scroll through the whole thread, the basic info seems to be the AHL is probably going to have a season. Those words weren't used, but the tentative date is December 4th, but that doesn't sound remotely firm. The more important statement is that is will be tied to the NHL start date, and I think they only reason they're saying the 4th is the NHL officially is still tentatively planned for the 1st of December.

AHL also believes they can start as late as February or March. They'll probably play between 40 and 65 games. They will end playoffs with enough time to start 2021-22 in October.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It’s to bad there isn’t a definitive answer in the AHL season yet because that factors into Dallas’s strategy heading into UFA. If there is no AHL season or it’s heavily postponed you gotta imagine that Dellandrea, Robertson, and Oettinger make the squad

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It’s to bad there isn’t a definitive answer in the AHL season yet because that factors into Dallas’s strategy heading into UFA. If there is no AHL season or it’s heavily postponed you gotta imagine that Dellandrea, Robertson, and Oettinger make the squad

I disagree that this development is anything other than great news. Obviously nothing was officially confirmed, but everything that was said points to a season, and he even explained the uncertainty of no firm start date because the NHL hasn't established there date yet.

I think what we learned today is that barring something surprising, the AHL's season is tied directly to the NHL season, and if the NHL season happens, which seems likely, the AHL season is happening as well. The guy pretty much confirmed they have every plan covered for what next season looks like including unlikely February or March start dates.

This wasn't mentioned above because it doesn't apply to Texas, but a tweet that wasn't reference indicated they're already working to try and help the independent teams make this possible as well.

Everything that's developed today seems quite encouraging, especially since it's coming directly from the AHL President.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I disagree that this development is anything other than great news. Obviously nothing was officially confirmed, but everything that was said points to a season, and he even explained the uncertainty of no firm start date because the NHL hasn't established there date yet.

I think what we learned today is that barring something surprising, the AHL's season is tied directly to the NHL season, and if the NHL season happens, which seems likely, the AHL season is happening as well. The guy pretty much confirmed they have every plan covered for what next season looks like including unlikely February or March start dates.

This wasn't mentioned above because it doesn't apply to Texas, but a tweet that wasn't reference indicated they're already working to try and help the independent teams make this possible as well.

Everything that's developed today seems quite encouraging, especially since it's coming directly from the AHL President.

True it is a good update and seems like they have a solid plan, but I’m still not 100% convinced that the season happens due to the AHL getting most of its revenue through live attendance without that I’m not sure how the players get paid. I hope I’m wrong, but I see a lot of issues about getting the season going

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Mentioned it before, but just to hopefully try and offer some other potentially good news .... the USHL is in a tougher spot than the AHL, and they just announced a 54 game season. If they've managed to work through the revenue issues, I find it hard to believe that the AHL who is going to have significant backing by the NHL would not be able to accomplish the same thing.

With a shortened and/or condensed season in the NHL, the AHL is too important for them to make that work. The thing that gave me the most encouragement is they're already trying to work out solutions for the independent teams to make this work.

I truly don't believe the NHL can survive injuries and fatigue without an AHL season playing simultaneously. They're going to prop them up. It would be a mistake if they don't ensure the AHL season happens.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh and too your original point about free agency. Teams and GMs are definitely going to have more information than us. I imagine several signings will tip their hand on how certain they are about an AHL season. Every year, Dallas adds a veteran or two for Austin. If you see any two-way contracts to tweeners, even from other teams, they're prepping and planning on an AHL season.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

________

Feb 6, 2006
The last resort choice is probably have AHL like the MLB did, with prospects/extras playing each other in scrimmages. As the extra players for the NHL season. There will be some type of development in places so players who aren't on a NHL roster will be in game shape. If they can't have a AHL season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't follow baseball, and I was unaware of that. That sounds like a pretty awesome idea. Good on them. I could see the NHL supporting that ... or at least they should if the AHL season does fall apart.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Heatherington is off to the KHL.

Lot of defensive movement for the Texas Stars this offseason.

Signed Shea, Heatherington to the KHL, Bayreuther to CBJ's AHL team, Honka returning, Fedun probably going down to the AHL, etc.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Heatherington is off to the KHL.

Lot of defensive movement for the Texas Stars this offseason.

Signed Shea, Heatherington to the KHL, Bayreuther to CBJ's AHL team, Honka returning, Fedun probably going down to the AHL, etc.

I’m interested to see who is going to be the call up option on the left side if there is an injury. Hanley will likely be the healthy scratch so Shea, Rosburg, and Gleason are going to have to battle it out for the top pairing spot/first call up. NHL salary is over 10x more than AHL salary so pretty good motivation to be that call up guy

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Heatherington was the prototypical Hitchcock defenseman. Big strong , slow and physical but can't do a damn thing with the puck. Once Hitch was gone that his shot at the NHL was basically over. Now the the Stars prospect pool is filled with so many guys who are so much better than him. Absolutely no path to make the NHL anymore here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad