Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Looking at the Vlasic/Jones thread, man some of those comments did not age well. LOL

Interestingly, there was a post in there towards the end noting that Vlasic's NMC only lasts until 2023 and then for the rest of the contract it is an NTC.

Too early to say that on July 1, 2023, Vlasic is waived? :laugh:
mine aged like fine wine

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Also, where are you getting your stats??

Hockey Reference is where I go unless I need non-NHL stats. They're showing Karlsson with 44 points in 69 games, Pavelski with 50 in 81 games, plus 19 in 27 playoff games last year.

Add them together and both Pavelski and Karlsson are averaging 52 points per 82 games since they signed their current contracts.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hockey Reference is where I go unless I need non-NHL stats. They're showing Karlsson with 44 points in 69 games, Pavelski with 50 in 81 games, plus 19 in 27 playoff games last year.

Add them together and both Pavelski and Karlsson are averaging 52 points per 82 games since they signed their current contracts.

Ohhh you were combining the two years. Gotcha.

Pavs started super slow last year but was one of the main reasons Dallas made the cup finals. IR6r5 is a trainwreck and we've been hovering near the bottom of the standings since the beginning of last year.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
0 points of those are playoffs, that is just regular season.

Hockeydb. Ok now i am wondering where i got the 49 from. I must of accidently used the 18-19 numbers instead of the 19-20 numbers.
Someone else explained it. It's a combination of 2019-20 and 20-21

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Pavs didn't look so great that last year for us. I feel like a lot of people on the boards were talking rebuild and jettisoning him "while he still had value". He looks a lot better now and that playoff run was damn near heartbreaking to watch because he looked so good. I wonder if the underlying problem with EK65 is the Sharks and not just the injury?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pavs didn't look so great that last year for us. I feel like a lot of people on the boards were talking rebuild and jettisoning him "while he still had value". He looks a lot better now and that playoff run was damn near heartbreaking to watch because he looked so good. I wonder if the underlying problem with EK65 is the Sharks and not just the injury?

Pavelski didn't really fit any line that he was on. He wasn't bad on any line that he was on but he wasn't a fit either. And it was noticeable that he was slowing down here. It can sometimes help getting a fresh start elsewhere and using your previous place as motivation. I don't think he would've continued being all that productive and getting us to the playoffs if he stays and EK65 walks. I think a lot of that is wishful thinking. We weren't going to be a good team after 2018-'19.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He probably was involved in the biggest play of the year though lol.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The better what if scenario is what do we look like had we signed Tavares. We recoup a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, Tierney, Norris, Demelo, and already have Balcers (assume for purposes of this exercise they are all signed at their current deals and Braun is still traded or gone via UFA last offseason (also added $1.5 mil to the cap in the Karlsson/Tavares swap because it would have likely taken $12.5 mil to get him here). Think DW would still have pulled the trigger for Donato as well.

Kane-Tavares-Hertl
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Donato-Tierney-Balcers
Marleau-Thornton-Nieto

Ferraro-Burns
Simek-Demelo
Vlasic-Knyzhov

Obviously not a perfect lineup, but likely could move Tierney and some of the other assets not given up over the years in order to have gotten a better goalie than Jones and probably would have been a more desirable spot for some sweetheart deals for a depth D-Man and forward options this past offseason because we would not have been garbage. And most importantly, we likely would have won the Cup in 2019 because that roster would have been stacked. Oh what could have been.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Someone on NHL radio mentioned the idea of a 4th line energy line bringing the energy to the team that normally a home crowd (or any crowd for that matter) would normally bring. It wasn’t in reference to the Sharks but I think there is merit there. We don’t have players let alone a line that goes out there and crashes and bangs and lifts the intensity of the entire team by a single shift. It’s extremely noticeable in the lackadaisical effort we seem to get on a nightly basis.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
we couldnt sign Tavares, it was not a choice they had
Nowhere in there did I say that they could have or should have done differently. They were in the thick of it and didn't get him. Just saying that is the better "what if" scenario to look back on as the true franchise changer rather than signing Karlsson. The Karlsson deal is moot if they get Tavares like they tried/planned an entire offseason around.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Nowhere in there did I say that they could have or should have done differently. They were in the thick of it and didn't get him. Just saying that is the better "what if" scenario to look back on as the true franchise changer rather than signing Karlsson. The Karlsson deal is moot if they get Tavares like they tried/planned an entire offseason around.
what do we look like had we signed Tavares

Felt like an implication.

Honestly though, I would replace Tavares with "any 1st line center" and your point still stands.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Someone on NHL radio mentioned the idea of a 4th line energy line bringing the energy to the team that normally a home crowd (or any crowd for that matter) would normally bring. It wasn’t in reference to the Sharks but I think there is merit there. We don’t have players let alone a line that goes out there and crashes and bangs and lifts the intensity of the entire team by a single shift. It’s extremely noticeable in the lackadaisical effort we seem to get on a nightly basis.
The problem with that idea is that it still requires three other lines who are capable of controlling play after the 4th line is off. All the energy in the world doesn't help if the other 9 forwards are less skilled than their counterparts, and that's the biggest problem with this Sharks team.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The problem with that idea is that it still requires three other lines who are capable of controlling play after the 4th line is off. All the energy in the world doesn't help if the other 9 forwards are less skilled than their counterparts, and that's the biggest problem with this Sharks team.
Feels like both. There is zero energy out and we’re getting out worked 90% of the time. Even on the PP. you’re right we don’t have the talent to match up against most teams which is why effort is key. It’s why Columbus continually competes despite not having much by way of talent.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Speaking of Eichel, he just got scratched for tonight
He’s injured? I’m shocked. Let’s see. He doesn’t want to play for the franchise, he’s been unproductive this year and he’s injured again. Now that I think about it, he’s an ideal trade for Dougie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->