2020-2021 season. Start now pushed to February 5, 2021

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
All this is fine and dandy but if Cuomo does not unlock NY then Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton are either playing each other for the entire season without fans or looking for another state to play in. Since the AHL teams need fans in the stands far more than the NHL does, unless Cuomo makes a MAJOR change to his policies or is voted out of office for a less restrictive Governor, there will be no AHL hockey in NY for 2020-2021 and beyond.

If this is still an issue during the 2021-22 season, I'm not sure there's still sports.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If this is still an issue during the 2021-22 season, I'm not sure there's still sports.

There will be sports, just not as we know it in areas that are as restrictive as NY, Michigan, and California. But hey, as long as "peaceful protesting" is allowed and encouraged, that is fine with certain governments.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
There will be sports, just not as we know it in areas that are as restrictive as NY, Michigan, and California. But hey, as long as "peaceful protesting" is allowed and encouraged, that is fine with certain governments.

If it's safe to hold sports everywhere else by then, I have to imagine there will be political pressure on those states to start opening fully also.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
All this is fine and dandy but if Cuomo does not unlock NY then Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton are either playing each other for the entire season without fans or looking for another state to play in. Since the AHL teams need fans in the stands far more than the NHL does, unless Cuomo makes a MAJOR change to his policies or is voted out of office for a less restrictive Governor, there will be no AHL hockey in NY for 2020-2021 and beyond.

And if Newson doesn't open up CA, 5 of the 7 Pacific Division teams won't be allowed to play. Even if Bakersfield and Stockton move north of the border, it still leaves San Jose, Ontario, and San Diego in limbo.
San Jose (AHL) and Binghamton's parent clubs probably couldn't care less if there AHL team's played in front of no fans.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If it's safe to hold sports everywhere else by then, I have to imagine there will be political pressure on those states to start opening fully also.

I am all for the teams opening and, if necessary, playing the entire season in a friendlier atmosphere. The players, staff, and owners need to earn paychecks as well. I am hoping that once the Elections are over here in the USA, one way or another, we get back to some form of what we once had regarding events that draw crowds.
As other have mentioned, at the AHL level, the teams will not make a profit without warm bodies in the stands. No business person is going to open his/her business if they are going to lose money.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Has there been any talk of AHL teams opting out of playing this season, similar to what is happening in the ECHL?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Has there been any talk of AHL teams opting out of playing this season, similar to what is happening in the ECHL?
that is still being reviewed by the same group that was placed in charge when the season abruptly ended.... all we know is Bakersfield/Stockton/Utica aren't going anywhere despite the rumors of temporarily relocating those franchises, Howson shot that down, when Utica media contacted the league seeking a clarification, otherwise it's Howson's call as to when a season may start..

remember, there are only 11 independently owned franchises that are not owned or operated by the parent affiliate or have a close association with the parent franchise.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it also sounds like NHL Teams are preparing for a set # of "taxi squad" players, similiar to the playoff setup where AHL teams who are normally not qualified for a postseason receive those prospects....

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
it also sounds like NHL Teams are preparing for a set # of "taxi squad" players, similiar to the playoff setup where AHL teams who are normally not qualified for a postseason receive those prospects....
My impression of the "Taxi Squad" was that those players would remain with the NHL team (practicing and traveling, receiving NHL per diem) but would receive their AHL salary and not count toward the NHL salary cap. So basically they are "sent down on paper" but don't actually report to the AHL team, and remain eligible to be added to the NHL roster without going through quarantine.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My impression of the "Taxi Squad" was that those players would remain with the NHL team (practicing and traveling, receiving NHL per diem) but would receive their AHL salary and not count toward the NHL salary cap. So basically they are "sent down on paper" but don't actually report to the AHL team, and remain eligible to be added to the NHL roster without going through quarantine.
THAT'S the reports being discussed at least through Vancouver's perspective, which is likely also under discussion with that oversight committee in addition to President Howson as how the AHL proceeds from March, 2020.

we've lost that perspective as to what each franchise and the internal philosophies as there really was only a handful of posters who covered issues internally between the league, member clubs, as they're referenced etc.....

all of those "insiders" now have pivoted toward their current clubs, and those internal discussions, more so, with Commissioner Crelin, since those member clubs are now in the ECHL.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
What will the AHL look like next season?
What will the AHL look like next season? – The Athletic

Scott Howson is an optimist by nature.

The AHL president continues to rely on that sense of optimism as the league’s previously proposed start date of Feb. 5 inches closer with no plans on delaying the start of the season.

“There’s a strong appetite amongst our teams and their NHL partners to try and make this season work,” Howson told The Athletic.

As information about what the 2020-21 NHL season will look like trickles out and a picture of the season comes into focus, many within the AHL are waiting for similar updates.

“You probably know more than I do,” said one AHL coach.

And so while many around the league want to share Howson’s optimism, there is also a sense of anxiety.

“Definitely a lot of questions still to be answered,” said Grand Rapids Griffins defenceman Dylan McIlrath. “And it is kind of nerve-wracking. Obviously, hopefully, the NHL can get going. It’s...​

Mod edit: site rule 6 (copyright).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->