Line Combos: 2020/2021 Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by MyBudJT, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    The best coach in the world needs players to kill penalties. The best coach in the world needs players to defend leads. The best coach in the world needs players to win puck battles.

If you don't have players who are good in some of the required roles, you pretty much have to get out the old shoe-horn.

It is like that though, especially at the top end.

We have a couple of good grinders in Hyman, Mikheyev, and Moore.

We don't really have any good defensive forwards. Hyman is decent. Tavares and Marner are decent. Mikheyev and Moore are not bad.

There's no one definition of "a good coach". Those may be the traits you like in a coach, and I would actually agree with you there, but there are lots of good coaches who don't possess those traits.

Polaris1010 likes this.
  2. Morgs

Morgs #16 #34 #44 #88 #91

We do have good penalty killing players. We do have good power play players. We do have good offensive and defensive 5v5 players. We do have a good goalie.

Attempting to slow down the offense, run point shots 24/7, stop the defense from pinching, and play a similar style to "trap hockey" to improve defense has turned this team from an offensive juggernaut with below average defense to the team with the second worst xGF% in the entire league- and it's not all because of how bad the defense has been in spite of the conscious changes to "fix it".

If you want a coach the loves to put a square into a circle then by all means you shouldn't complain. Personally I'd like to see a coach that sees we are a speedy, all offense team with five great puck-moving defenseman that should easily be top-5 in xGF.

SprDaVE likes this.
  3. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    Oh yeah? Who are those players?

Our top 4 used PKers are Marner, Kapanen, Mikheyev, and Moore. If we have good PKers, why are we using those guys?

I think you and I have very different ideas of what a good defensive player is.

4. A1LeafNation

A1LeafNation Our time! Our time!

He seems good right now, not sure why you bringing it up now. Lol.

5. Morgs

Morgs #16 #34 #44 #88 #91

Here are the players that have positive defensive value based on relTM.xGA/60 so far this season (essentially it's the players shots against adjusted for quality relative to his teammates):

Spezza, Petan, Matthews, Nylander.

Spezza/Petan have been legit great defensively (probably because Babs doesn't trust them in their own end), but both Matthews and Nylander have been great defensively so far. The rest of their team is slightly below average with Tavares/Timashov/Hyman being well below average to outright "bad".

So yeah, we have different definitions of what a good defensive player is. Mine is based on numbers, yours is based on the eye test.

6. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    As I said, we have very different ideas of what a good defensive player is.

7. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Personally I like the guys who get scored on less.

MyBudJT likes this.
  8. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    I like the guys who are good defensively. Those are not necessarily the guys who simply get scored on less.

The best defensive players tend to get very difficult match-ups. As a result, they tend to get scored on more. The worst defensive players tend to get sheltered minutes. As a result, they tend to get scored on less.

9. Hustlr

Hustlr Registered User

Kreider - Matthews - Nylander
    Hyman - Tavares - Marner
    Mikheyev - Grigorenko/Granlund - Kapanen
    Korshkov - Engvall/Goat - Bracco

Rielly - Pietrangelo
    Muzzin - Sandin
    Dermott - Liljegren
    Holl

Andersen
    Halak/Smith/Greiss

Ya, I know..

10. Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel Registered User

And that can be adjusted for.

But I'm going to side slightly with you here. I think there's a disconnect in the discussion. You're talking about the actual defensive capability, while the others are referencing defensive results. Even when accounting for context, those are not the same. For example, defensive results are heavily skewed by ability to transition the puck. But is being good at moving the puck actually the same as being good defensively? I'd argue not.

If there's one criticism I have on your part, and those that share your view, is that defense is way too heavily weighed towards defending against an established cycle. In my opinion, defense starts as soon as the opposition gains control of the puck regardless of zone, and ends when your team gets control back.

If you look at Nylander there, he's a sneaky forechecker and he's exemplary in the neutral zone. His back pressure and rush defense can be spotty, but like many great skaters he's probably better than he gets credit for. And he's not good at all against the cycle.

So I'd say that his defensive ability is probably better than you give him credit for, and along with being an exceptional transition player you end up with pretty good defensive results.

11. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    1-0 lead. 30 second left in the game. Faceoff in the defensive end. Who do you put on the ice?

Anyone really think it’s a good idea to send out Matthews, Nylander and Petan?

12. Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel Registered User

But here you illustrate my point. In this scenario, defending an eventual cycle is the major factor in this particular scenario. But being good defensively overall is more than just being able to effectively weather the storm in the dying seconds of a game.

This is exactly why I said that people weigh cycle defense too heavily when talking about defensive ability. You're supposed to play well defensively through 60 minutes, not just the last 30 seconds of the game. You need to be able to impact the game through forecheck and neutral zone defense, rush defense as well as cycle defense.

It's the sum of your ability in all those areas that determine if you are good defensively.

13. MyBudJT

MyBudJT Formerly WILDLIFEGUY

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
    Lafreniere-Tavares-Kapanen
    Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Moore
    Grigorenko-RHC-Korshkov

Rielly-Pietrangelo
    Sandin-Ekblad
    PKing Dman-Liljegren

Andersen
    Good Back-up

14. LeafsOHLRangers98

LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

If we trade Johnsson maybe. Petans possession numbers are ridiculous this year and is a pass first guy. Could mesh well with the styles of the other 2.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander had 12 shots last night though so hard to break it up right now.

15. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    Here I illustrated my point that you need different players for different roles.

MyBudJT likes this.