Line Combos: 2020/2021 Roster Discussion

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Johnsson and Kapanen both under 3.5M after ~45 point seasons.

Doubts about his pace aside, if he does finish 20g/50 points, I guess a similar deal to Kapanen and Johnsson but with a slight bump in money is in order. Not sure about being above 4M though, but it wouldn't as ridiculous as I previously stated.

Johnsson and Kapanen got paid while doing that on Matthews' wing.

Mikheyev has been playing with Kerfoot and Moore...

Not only that, but Mikheyev has played next to no PP time. Just watching games this season, I think Mikheyev has the better toolset and toolbox than Johnsson and Kapanen.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Johnsson and Kapanen both under 3.5M after ~45 point seasons.

Doubts about his pace aside, if he does finish 20g/50 points, I guess a similar deal to Kapanen and Johnsson but with a slight bump in money is in order. Not sure about being above 4M though, but it wouldn't as ridiculous as I previously stated.

I'm really liking Mikheyev. I think he's been better than both Kapanen, Johnsson, and Nylander this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johnsson and Kapanen got paid while doing that on Matthews' wing.

Mikheyev has been playing with Kerfoot and Moore...

Not only that, but Mikheyev has played next to no PP time. Just watching games this season, I think Mikheyev has the better toolset and toolbox than Johnsson and Kapanen.

Mikheyev did get a bump to play with Tavares and Marner, and he wasn't very good and got quickly put back next to Kerfoot. Small sample. He's good tools no doubt and he's been a very good addition.

I'll wait until closer to the end of the year to have a better picture of what his salary structure should look like. It's a little early. I'd be surprised if he ended reaching his current pace or doing better.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm really liking Mikheyev. I think he's been better than both Kapanen, Johnsson, and Nylander this year.

He's had some good moments early in the season where he was great but he's been slowing down quite a bit in terms of tenacity lately. He's a lot less noticeable 5 on 5. It's a long season, something he's never experienced before. Don't underestimate the grind of a long season.

He's been a great addition and I hope he gets to stay for a long time if he keeps playing like that.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
If Sandin and/or Liljegren are on the 3rd pair they should be in the AHL instead.

I see people post this a lot but are they really going to just jump from the AHL to a top 4 role in the NHL? Seems wise to start them on the 3rd pairing their first year in the NHL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not saying Anaheim does this, or Pietrangelo becomes a UFA, and has interest in us... just that this would be my dream way, to address the lineup. Also, Scott in the lineup, not saying he is ready, it was an easy way to put a backup goalie in... I wouldn't have a clue who to trade for or sign, so just easy to throw Scott in as a placeholder.

Trades

edit.svg

TOR

1. Ritchie, Nick
  2. Manson, Josh
ANA

1. Nylander, William
  2. Johnsson, Andreas

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$84,500,000$82,864,258$0$532,500$1,635,742
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
anaheim_ducks.svg

Ritchie, Nick
$1,498,925
LW
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$4,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Moore, Trevor
$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$800,000
C
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Korshkov, Yegor
$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Petan, Nicolas
$775,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$9,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$3,000,000
D
RFA
anaheim_ducks.svg

Manson, Josh
$4,100,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Scott, Ian
$805,833
G
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Liljegren, Timothy
$863,333
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$750,000
D
UFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: coupe93 and Crysis

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I see people post this a lot but are they really going to just jump from the AHL to a top 4 role in the NHL? Seems wise to start them on the 3rd pairing their first year in the NHL.

When I look at current top-4 Ds (I looked at every top-4 D last year for an earlier post) it shows that if they don't make that jump (from the AHL, or junior, or Europe to top-4 in the NHL) then they are likely to never progress beyond bottom pairing or possibly a #4 being carried by a strong #3. Most (by a large margin) top-4 D in the NHL last season originally broke into the NHL as top-4. I am referring to being full-time players. Some - but not many - played a few games on the bottom pairing before being sent down for a season or two and then returned as a top-4. Most simply were top-4 from their first game onwards (the same is the case with forwards - Matthews, Marner and Nylander averaged more than 18 minutes during their first NHL game). Bottom pair and top-4 are two completely different jobs. If you either can't make the top-4 at the moment or there is no room for you, then it is better to be in the AHL getting top minutes and playing on the PK and PP.

Last March I said that Sandin would make the Leafs' roster out of camp but would be sent down quickly because he wouldn't be getting enough ice time. I felt this would happen because it makes sense based on the competing interests - Babcock wants to win today (and by that I don't mean this year - I mean today), so having the best option available for the 3rd pairing playing on that third pairing is what Babs is going to want every time. Dubas needs to also be concerned about winning years down the road and therefore for him having Sandin on the third pairing only makes sense if it is also helping Sandin's development. Therefore I felt that Babs would push for Sandin to be on the team, but it would become increasingly evident that Babcock was not going to play him enough, and finally Dubas' view would win out and he would be sent down.

Sending him down was the right thing to do. If babs had been distributing the ice-time in a way that Sandin was getting much more ice-time - both at 5v5 and on the PP and/or PK, it would have likely worked out ok (this was the case with Rielly when he broke in - he was averaging just under 18 minutes a night - he was also in a situation where he was too good to go back to junior and I don't think he was eligible for the AHL), but Babs is unlikely to do that (again - Babs cares about little else than winning today). Neither Sandin or Liljegren should not be brought up in a bottom pairing capacity unless the team feels that they will not progress much beyond that anyway.

Dermott was brought up almost two years ago. He had be been progressing leaps and bounds on the Marlies. He is still on the third pairing, and there has not been much progress. Maybe he becomes a #4.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The Leafs will have a bit of money to spend for 20/21 on new roster players.

No Horton 5.3M
No Clarkson 5.25M

Also UFA to resign or they can walk

Ceci 4.5M
Muzzin 4M
Barrie 2.5M

Still owe Phat Phil 2.4M over 2 more years

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The Leafs will have a bit of money to spend for 20/21 on new roster players.

No Horton 5.3M
No Clarkson 5.25M

Also UFA to resign or they can walk

Ceci 4.5M
Muzzin 4M
Barrie 2.5M

Still owe Phat Phil 2.4M over 2 more years

Horton and Clarkson being gone will not open up any money for the team. Dermott and Mikheyev will both be looking for raises.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That’s incredible , I didn’t know his numbers were that good as of late
IMO you have to decide on Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner.
You can argue Marner is better or not but 4 million better? Plus Marner should be perceived as getting the better return.

I’d be looking at a Werenski + Anderson + pick out of Columbus. Then move Rielly for a more defensive minded RHD + something.
Sign Muzzin. Use Barrie and Ceci for upgraded depth before UFA. Backup goalie.

Nylander - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - Tavares - Kapanen (or if you saved enough money you can upgrade Kapanen as well and move him with Johnsson/Kerfoot)
Johnsson improves the depth here on the 3rd pair with Kerfoot
Moore + depth on 4th

Werenski - RHD
Muzzin - Defensive minded
Dermott/Sandin/Lily/Holl learning

Backup goalie.

Marner + Rielly + Barrie + Ceci = 23 million
Werenski + Andersen = 6.85
Plenty to fix the D add more scoring and backup. If 2 more D cost 10 mil, you still have 6-7 left for backup and another scoring forward.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
IMO you have to decide on Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner.
You can argue Marner is better or not but 4 million better? Plus Marner should be perceived as getting the better return.

I’d be looking at a Werenski + Anderson + pick out of Columbus. Then move Rielly for a more defensive minded RHD + something.
Sign Muzzin. Use Barrie and Ceci for upgraded depth before UFA. Backup goalie.

Nylander - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - Tavares - Kapanen (or if you saved enough money you can upgrade Kapanen as well and move him with Johnsson/Kerfoot)
Johnsson improves the depth here on the 3rd pair with Kerfoot
Moore + depth on 4th

Werenski - RHD
Muzzin - Defensive minded
Dermott/Sandin/Lily/Holl learning

Backup goalie.

Marner + Rielly + Barrie + Ceci = 23 million
Werenski + Andersen = 6.85
Plenty to fix the D add more scoring and backup. If 2 more D cost 10 mil, you still have 6-7 left for backup and another scoring forward.

So you've traded away all of our best trading chips, and still don't have any RHD?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We've had two great forwards this season, and you want to trade one of them for a defenseman that's nowhere near as good as him, and an at best 3rd line winger to play on the 1st line?

grow up

Building the best team is not about simply collecting the best players. You need to be well-rounded and flexible. You need a wide array of players to perform a wide array of jobs.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Building the best team is not about simply collecting the best players. You need to be well-rounded and flexible. You need a wide array of players to perform a wide array of jobs.

Or, you play the players to their strengths instead of making them play a way that clearly isn't how the GM wants. It's not like we don't have "grinders" and good defensive players all over the lineup. A good coach is flexible and adaptable based on the team they have in front of them: Babs is neither one of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad