Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t think they have any wiggle room. They won’t go into the year without being able to make a move. They need to have some cap room.

Reactions: FONZIE

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I must be missing something because I'm reading that we are now all set with a better team than last year. Losing Krug and signing Craig Smith made us better? How can that be?

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I must be missing something because I'm reading that we are now all set with a better team than last year. Losing Krug and signing Craig Smith made us better? How can that be?
I don't know where your seeing these claims that our team is a better team then last year. From my perspective, I think this team has a chance to be a playoff contender. They have a chance to put themselves in position to make a move at the deadline to complete the team. Or if things don't work out with this roster they sell at the deadline. I don't see anyone acting like this new roster guarantees we finish first overall in our conference or go further in the playoffs. The beauty of sports is in seeing how it all unfolds.

Furthermore I would like to point out that Smith for Krug is not the only change we will see. McAvoy, Pasta, Carlo, DeBrusk, Grezclyk, Lauzon, Bjork and Studnicka should be amongst a group of players that improve individually and therefore improve the team. At the same time, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Chara if he plays are guys who could regress. Hopefully the growth significantly outweighs the decline. We shall see.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd be very interested if Sweeney could pull off the following:
Vaak +Moore + Bjork
Palmieri

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Kase-Krejci-Palmierei
Debrusk-Coyle-Smith
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner

That would be the strongest top 12 I've seen here since the 2011 stanley cup team and even then, our new 3rd line I'd wager is better than the Kelly line

I could see the Devils going for that.

But do the B's really want to trade two left side defensemen right now?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't know where your seeing these claims that our team is a better team then last year. From my perspective, I think this team has a chance to be a playoff contender. They have a chance to put themselves in position to make a move at the deadline to complete the team. Or if things don't work out with this roster they sell at the deadline. I don't see anyone acting like this new roster guarantees we finish first overall in our conference or go further in the playoffs. The beauty of sports is in seeing how it all unfolds.

Furthermore I would like to point out that Smith for Krug is not the only change we will see. McAvoy, Pasta, Carlo, DeBrusk, Grezclyk, Lauzon, Bjork and Studnicka should be amongst a group of players that improve individually and therefore improve the team. At the same time, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Chara if he plays are guys who could regress. Hopefully the growth significantly outweighs the decline. We shall see.

A chance to be a playoff contender?

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I am no linguist but I am just saying there are no guarantees. I think they are a contender. I think they're preseason grade is probably lower then last years' but quite possibly higher then the 2011 team's preseason grade that went on to win the cup.

You truly live up to your profiles banner under your username. Cautiously optimistic. I think I totally agree with you- no guarantees but they should be in the mix at the top of the conference. Probably not first like last year, but up there

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
You truly live up to your profiles banner under your username. Cautiously optimistic. I think I totally agree with you- no guarantees but they should be in the mix at the top of the conference. Probably not first like last year, but up there
No doubt. I am definitely more fan then analyst. I read what the team tells me about there moves and generally I try to see it there way. Whether it is O'Connell, Chiarelli or Sweeney I generally get there. 5 years later I may see it the other way, but generally, in the moment, I Believe!

Reactions: CDJ

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

So we are not better and instead are going to rely on eight players to improve individually? Sounds like a recipe for tremendous success.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why? Moore has negative value and NJ already had him before us. Bjork has basically no value so its just Vak and a cap dump for Palmieri. Why would NJ do that when they could probably get a 1st and a prospect at the deadline?

Devils are thinner on the left side D than the Bruins. They could use Moore. He had his best seasons in NJ. And they could consider Bjork a cheap risk to take. He's only 24 and could improve significantly with more ice time.

As for Palmieri bringing back a first and a prospect, that conjecture. What if he's not healthy at the deadline or having a bad season?

Reactions: bbfan419

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Devils are thinner on the left side D than the Bruins. They could use Moore. He had his best seasons in NJ. And they could consider Bjork a cheap risk to take. He's only 24 and could improve significantly with more ice time.

As for Palmieri bringing back a first and a prospect, that conjecture. What if he's not healthy at the deadline or having a bad season?
No their GM would be fired if he accepted that trade.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I am no linguist but I am just saying there are no guarantees. I think they are a contender. I think they're preseason grade is probably lower then last years' but quite possibly higher then the 2011 team's preseason grade that went on to win the cup.
Wanna compare the 2011 D to this train wreck D of 2020? They have one of the worst defenses in the league, lost a top penalty killer in Chara and a top 3 or 4 league wide power play point in Krug. Who takes Krug spot? Grezlyk who has shown zero offense in two season? Carlo who makes Bruce Shoebottom look like Paul Coffey offensively? Maybe McAvoy improves but unless you plan on playing him 30 minutes a night he is going to need help, not maybes and possibles, but real top 4 D help.

Rask is already a head case, by the 30 game mark he could be certifiable with this D

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Why? Moore has negative value and NJ already had him before us. Bjork has basically no value so its just Vak and a cap dump for Palmieri. Why would NJ do that when they could probably get a 1st and a prospect at the deadline?
They wouldn't, you don't a get top 6 forward for throw ins, a cap dump and a borderline prospect who has regressed since his concussion

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Wanna compare the 2011 D to this train wreck D of 2020? They have one of the worst defenses in the league, lost a top penalty killer in Chara and a top 3 or 4 league wide power play point in Krug. Who takes Krug spot? Grezlyk who has shown zero offense in two season? Carlo who makes Bruce Shoebottom look like Paul Coffey offensively? Maybe McAvoy improves but unless you plan on playing him 30 minutes a night he is going to need help, not maybes and possibles, but real top 4 D help.

Rask is already a head case, by the 30 game mark he could be certifiable with this D
I haven't conceded that Chara is gone. I’m still hoping he comes back and won’t worry about that yet.

Losing Krug sucks. Good teams lose good players all the time. Sometimes you don’t have a direct replacement. I am interested to see who steps up and takes a stranglehold of the roster spots. The right side to me remains unchanged from last year except I don’t see Lauzon filling a role on RD any longer. McAvoy and Carlo set in stone then Clifton followed by Miller. On the left Grezclyk fills one spot. Lauzon most likely has a spot. Zboril, Vaaakanainen, Moore and even long shots like Nick Wolff. It’s a competition. If we can’t find a reliable option internally then it becomes the priority at the deadline presuming we can survive the lack of a quality no 6 D. Good teams overcome roster deficiencies like this. Better teams fill them with a successful internal competition. I’ve already outed myself as a bit of a homer, but I like our chances here.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton

Chara, Mcquaid, Johnny B, Seids, Ference, Kaberle...........
1. None of those guys are better than McAvoy is today with the exception of 2011 Chara
2. Seids and Carlo are quite similar as shutdown dmen
3. Gryz could be our version of Kaberle
4. If Miller comes back, he's our McQuid without the heavyweight fighting pedigree
5. 2020 Chara is still solid, in my opinion as effective as 2011 Boychuk
6. Lauzon, zboril, vaak, Clifton is some serious depth, along with Moore.

I'm just as confident in this defence. At the deadline if we upgrade our top 4 LD, we'll be very tough to beat

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

You do realize that Carlo had the same amount of points as Krug at 5v5. Losing Krug isn't as big as you really think it is.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You do realize that Carlo had the same amount of points as Krug at 5v5. Losing Krug isn't as big as you really think it is.
The Bruins won last year when the power play was working, take a key part away and don't replace it and you lose more games. Never mind how badly the D (and team) was out classed, out worked and pretty much out everything's by Tampa and I don't see them making progress this year but starting the slow slide to mediocrity due to Sweeneys terrible drafting.

They needed to be all on on guys like Hall this off season or start selling and build around McAvoy and Pastrnak. Right now they are a bubble playoff team that may win a round, if that is the case I would rather have just moved the over 30's and start over with a new scouting staff and GM

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
6. Lauzon, zboril, vaak, Clifton is some serious depth, along with Moore.
I like Lauzon, good number 6 . Moore is terrible with a worse contract, zboril and Vaak will have very nice careers in Europe, Vaak is unfortunate, he could have been a top 4 but is regressing not progressing after his injury. Clifton is an ok depth D.

I disagree with you about how good the rest of the D is. McAvoy can be great, Carlo is a good second pair guy who can skate but doesn't "move the needle". Contending teams need guys like Carlo but he is not a top pair D. Grezlyk is overrated to me. Overpaid and too small, nice bottom pair guy because of his skating but if he is on the top pair they are in deep trouble.

We will see but I have pretty much zero faith in this D, too many question mark's and putting too much faith in unproven prospects who really haven't shown much yet. Add them still not having a second line RW and little grit at forward I do not have very high expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->