Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion III - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It isn't You are now changing your roster to including moving Rask. Even with your 22 man roster, it is still over because of the bonuses.

You are now changing your roster, like I said you had to (Chara to Vaakanianen) and it still is over. Split the overage in half and you're still over.

Not to mention you somehow moved Backes' cap in a trade to who for what and why?

Again, roster doesn't fit.

See post #92

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You mean the same the D that helped win the William Jennings trophy for fewest goals allowed? So I subtracted Krug because we can't afford him really, added Dillon a vet with size and snarl (something we lacked). Our D is fine. Just can't have Gryz/Krug playing big minutes come playoff time because they get taken advantage of size wise.

We might lose a few PP goals but the additions of Hall and a healthy Anderson might make up for that and than some. Our main objective has to be adding secondary scoring. Secondary objective is adding some snarl that can keep up. I think I solved both, whether it's doable or not in the real world who knows.

Love this.

The Bruins let in the fewest goals last year. The fewest in the NHL. The Bruins scored 10 goals in 5 games against the Lightning and were bounced in 5.

They need a legit 1st line winger and a replacement for Krug.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Well , you may be right but isn't if the other team is willing contingent to any proposal. Most of us don't get talk to any teams GM so ya, it's hypothetical . I have no idea if they want to unload Lucic's contract or not. I imagine no GM is enamored with any player taking up 5.25 cap space and producing a total of 20 points. I get that they only brought him in a year ago but that was to unload an equally bad contract so there is some evidence that they are not crazy about that kind of money not baring the fruits one would expect.

No team wants to retain money it's what they do to make a deal work for all.

I thought the 50% retained on Lucic to get Hanifin was a solid idea paired with signing Hall. Or bringing in another top line winger. Hanifin replaces Krug, (you protect Hanifin, Carlo and McAvoy) and you get a top line winger to help with the woeful scoring.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Oh come on, it works, there are guys like Kase,Ritchie and Rask that you can trade to fit everything in.

Maybe you don't want to which I can get, but it can be done.

You're moving the posts. Our argument was simple; you said your cap team worked, I took the time to do the math and post it and it clearly didn't at all. It wasn't close.

Now to make it work, you're changing the roster (which was my point) and moving out Rask, Kase and Ritchie. You are changing the roster you posted because it didn't work at all.

Entirely new discussion. The team didn't work at all.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You're moving the posts. Our argument was simple; you said your cap team worked, I took the time to do the math and post it and it clearly didn't at all. It wasn't close.

Now to make it work, you're changing the roster (which was my point) and moving out Rask, Kase and Ritchie. You are changing the roster you posted because it didn't work at all.

Entirely new discussion. The team didn't work at all.

Ok then, if that's what your after I'll give you that.

I only want the 6 Dmen and the obvious untouchables I have mentioned.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I never post my final rosters on Capfriendly because I don't want to deal with the discussions about them here and there:

Tons of moving parts that won't happen but here's what I'd like to see --- this fits under the cap as well.

Buyout Ritchie
Trade Moore, Kuraly, Kase for futures to make cap space

Trade Bjork, Steen and a 2021 2nd to Detroit for Mantha and a 4/5 pick -- sign Mantha (RFA) for 2X 4.0 -- should be a solid 25 goal guy here with size for Krejci's RW.

Sign Hall for 6 yrs. x 7 (Hoffman/Dadaonv for less if Hall won't sign)

Sign (out of the blue idea) Nathan Beaulieu for 2 x 2.0 -- Decent Size @ 6'2 - 200 only 27 years old -- Plus player on WPG last year and played around 16 minutes per game - was in the top 20 among defensemen in SHTOI and Winnipeg had a top 10 PK.

Re-Sign JDB @ 2 x 3, 750,000 (Bridge)

Grzelcyk @ 4 x 3,250,000

Chara @ 1 x 1, 750,000

Lineup:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Hall - Krejci - Mantha
Debrusk - Coyle - Studnicka
Lindholm - Frederic - Wagner

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Beaulieu - Carlo
Chara/Lauzon - Clifton

Rask
Halak

Leaves around 500K of cap space.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Ok then, if that's what your after I'll give you that.

I only want the 6 Dmen and the obvious untouchables I have mentioned.

In response to that, I'd say that the cap doesn't work for your roster on D; it's simply too much money on the back end and gutting all the forwards in impossible trades. Essentially to have your roster that you want DeBrusk, Krejci and Coyle need to go. Your roster works:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Lucic - Coyle - Kase
Kuraly - Frederic - Studnicka
Blidh - Wagner - Senyshyn

XXX

Rask
Halak

Hanifin - McAvoy
Dillon - Pietrangelo
Lauzon - Carlo
Chara - Zboril

That is a terrible team. A team that likely is fighting for their playoff lives to squeeze in.

What I'm confused with is how much addition you want to make to a Jennings winning (fewest goals allowed) team? The were the best in the world at stopping pucks from going into the net but for the third year in a row couldn't find secondary scoring when it mattered.

I also didn't like our D. BUT I like the future of this:

XXX - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril - Lauzon
Vaakanianen

Where they lack is a top pairing LHD. I'd even explore two D and moving Grzelcyk and get on board with that. But to add three for around 18-20 million to a team that let in the fewest goals allowed and is removing Krug (who was part of that) just doesn't seem like money well spent.

One of Hanifin or Pietrangelo is perfect. Then spent to the cap up front and trade assets for more up front.

Reactions: bbfan419

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Read your post wrong Sarge. Looks good numbers work. I’d like a little more toughness in that lineup though.

Reactions: sarge88

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
In response to that, I'd say that the cap doesn't work for your roster on D; it's simply too much money on the back end and gutting all the forwards in impossible trades. Essentially to have your roster that you want DeBrusk, Krejci and Coyle need to go. Your roster works:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Lucic - Coyle - Kase
Kuraly - Frederic - Studnicka
Blidh - Wagner - Senyshyn

XXX

Rask
Halak

Hanifin - McAvoy
Dillon - Pietrangelo
Lauzon - Carlo
Chara - Zboril

That is a terrible team. A team that likely is fighting for their playoff lives to squeeze in.

What I'm confused with is how much addition you want to make to a Jennings winning (fewest goals allowed) team? The were the best in the world at stopping pucks from going into the net but for the third year in a row couldn't find secondary scoring when it mattered.

I also didn't like our D. BUT I like the future of this:

XXX - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril - Lauzon
Vaakanianen

Where they lack is a top pairing LHD. I'd even explore two D and moving Grzelcyk and get on board with that. But to add three for around 18-20 million to a team that let in the fewest goals allowed and is removing Krug (who was part of that) just doesn't seem like money well spent.

One of Hanifin or Pietrangelo is perfect. Then spent to the cap up front and trade assets for more up front.

That Defense may turn out to be something in a few years but right now it's not much.

If I can only have one I take Petro.

I'm not interested in any D corps that has Grizz in the top 2 pairings. He's a 3rd pairing guy and that's not negotiable to me. Ideally I trade him for picks and sign Dillon. It'll cost a little more but nothing crazy.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That Defense may turn out to be something in a few years but right now it's not much.

If I can only have one I take Petro.

I'm not interested in any D corps that has Grizz in the top 2 pairings. He's a 3rd pairing guy and that's not negotiable to me. Ideally I trade him for picks and sign Dillon. It'll cost a little more but nothing crazy.

You could trade him and add one of Dillon or Hanifin but I'd argue that the 6'3" Boston native who Sweeney already tried to get at the draft is a more likely target. Especially when he is signed for almost the exact same amount as McAvoy and is only a year older you can see a solid pair moving forward. Add another size guy with Carlo and your top four is:

Hanifin - McAvoy
XXX - Carlo

...with McAvoy being the smallest at 6'0".

Krug, Chara and Grzelcyk out is essentially a rebuild on the D on the go like you wanted. What other big LHD's are available in UFA?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You could trade him and add one of Dillon or Hanifin but I'd argue that the 6'3" Boston native who Sweeney already tried to get at the draft is a more likely target. Especially when he is signed for almost the exact same amount as McAvoy and is only a year older you can see a solid pair moving forward. Add another size guy with Carlo and your top four is:

Hanifin - McAvoy
XXX - Carlo

Krug, Chara and Grzelcyk out is essentially a rebuild on the D on the go like you wanted. What other big LHD's are available in UFA?

You could make a deal for OEL. I wouldn't. I wouldn't rebuild the D at all. They are collectively very good at what they do. But if you did and decided scoring wasn't needed because you have [Bjork, Kase, Senyshyn, Ritchie, Lauko, whoever] you could trade for Hanifin and OEL. And then lose every game 2-1.

Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You could make a deal for OEL. I wouldn't. I wouldn't rebuild the D at all. They are collectively very good at what they do. But if you did and decided scoring wasn't needed because you have [Bjork, Kase, Senyshyn, Ritchie, Lauko, whoever] you could trade for Hanifin and OEL. And then lose every game 2-1.

Yeah, I'm weary of the OEL contract as well unless they are taking at least 4-5 million back in short term contracts.

If at the end of the day you added 4-5 million onto the cap and had Hanifin or OEL as your top LHD then I am happy. Hanifin straight up or OEL with Kase and Ritchie going the other way wit Bjork means 5.6 off the Bruins books and OEL coming in. Lots of cap space still then for a forward or two, including Hall.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Hanifin - McAvoy
XXX - Carlo

Ok but what are giving to get Hanifin because if it's Debrusk aren't we going the wrong way to get secondary scoring?

This is why I prefer the FA market simply because no assets required and the player being replace by the acquisition can now be traded for picks.

The pickings are really slim after Dillon for LD's which is probably gonna make him sought after I would think.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ok but what are giving to get Hanifin because if it's Debrusk aren't we going the wrong way to get secondary scoring?

This is why I prefer the FA market simply because no assets required and the player being replace by the acquisition can now be traded for picks.

The pickings are really slim after Dillon for LD's which is probably gonna make him sought after I would think.

Yep. Someone threw Ben Hutton out there. If that is the move, why not just keep John Moore and use him? Why bring in another 3rd pairing guy? Though it would be such a Sweeney move.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Yep. Someone threw Ben Hutton out there. If that is the move, why not just keep John Moore and use him? Why bring in another 3rd pairing guy? Though it would be such a Sweeney move.

I'm with you. I think it's time for Zboril and Lauzon to be in the NHL full-time. Give all of Zboril's minutes to Vaakanianen in the AHL with the idea that he is here the season afterwards.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm with you. I think it's time for Zboril and Lauzon to be in the NHL full-time. Give all of Zboril's minutes to Vaakanianen in the AHL with the idea that he is here the season afterwards.
Love the idea. Playing up and down to the talent around you is a real phenomenon for guys who are cusp players. We will never know what we have with Zboril until he gets a shot. I go into the season with him as the extra or 6th D rather than signing another fringe guy in FA.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012

Barring any trades, I think we definitely see Zboril, Lauzon and Senyshyn on the roster next year since they're all waivers eligible. Kuhlman still bypasses waivers so he'll be cut over Seny, deserved or not. It's sink or swim time for the 2015 draftees.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

At least with Hanifin you are sending salary back to Calgary. I'm also worried that Dillon gets 4.5-5.o million from someone and Krug breaks 7.0 million. If that's the cost, trading or Kulikov become better looking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad