Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion III - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think your even overrating Calgary's desire to unload that contract. They brought him in a year ago, they knew what they were getting themselves into Edmonton retained 12.5%, and he had a good play-off. Not saying they'd be totally against it, but is it a high priority for them? I'm not so sure.

They might not be overly pleased with Hanifin's development, but they also have just 3 other D under contract for next year. Is shipping out Hanifin for another winger really something they'd be prioritizing?

Why are they retaining salary on either? Do they have a great need for more cap space this coming year? How much more do the Bruins have to give up to get some salary retention to make your Uber-D-Corps suggestion work in a cap system?

Well , you may be right but isn't if the other team is willing contingent to any proposal. Most of us don't get talk to any teams GM so ya, it's hypothetical . I have no idea if they want to unload Lucic's contract or not. I imagine no GM is enamored with any player taking up 5.25 cap space and producing a total of 20 points. I get that they only brought him in a year ago but that was to unload an equally bad contract so there is some evidence that they are not crazy about that kind of money not baring the fruits one would expect.

No team wants to retain money it's what they do to make a deal work for all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well , you may be right but isn't if the other team is willing contingent to any proposal. Most of us don't get talk to any teams GM so ya, it's hypothetical . I have no idea if they want to unload Lucic's contract or not. I imagine no GM is enamored with any player taking up 5.25 cap space and producing a total of 20 points. I get that they only brought him in a year ago but that was to unload an equally bad contract so there is some evidence that they are not crazy about that kind of money not baring the fruits one would expect.

No team wants to retain money it's what they do to make a deal work for all.

Which is sort of my point. If the Bruins want Lucic and Hanifin, AND have salary retained, the price will be higher than Lucic/Hanifin with no retention. And Hanifin vs. Lucic in terms of retention isn't apples to apples, Lucic is signed one less year, and Edmonton already retained 12.5% so the best Boston could get on him is the remaining 37.5%. Conversely Hanifin is signed for one more year but Calgary can retain 50%, but notice Hanifin has no signing bonus money moving forward, it's straight salary. So your asking Calgary to fork out 10 million over 4 years for a player to not play for them, on top of everything else.

The trade cost of salary retention to make your Uber D work in a cap system seems awfully prohibitive.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You mean the same the D that helped win the William Jennings trophy for fewest goals allowed? So I subtracted Krug because we can't afford him really, added Dillon a vet with size and snarl (something we lacked). Our D is fine. Just can't have Gryz/Krug playing big minutes come playoff time because they get taken advantage of size wise.

We might lose a few PP goals but the additions of Hall and a healthy Anderson might make up for that and than some. Our main objective has to be adding secondary scoring. Secondary objective is adding some snarl that can keep up. I think I solved both, whether it's doable or not in the real world who knows.

I mean the D that looked like shit, they always do come PO time. The only trophy that impresses me is the Stanley Cup, I don't give a rats ass about the others.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Marchy/Bergy/Pasta
Lucic/Krejci/Kase
Ritchie/Coyle/Stud
Kuraly/TFred/Seny
Wags

gallery_90_776_7560.jpg

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Which is sort of my point. If the Bruins want Lucic and Hanifin, AND have salary retained, the price will be higher than Lucic/Hanifin with no retention. And Hanifin vs. Lucic in terms of retention isn't apples to apples, Lucic is signed one less year, and Edmonton already retained 12.5% so the best Boston could get on him is the remaining 37.5%. Conversely Hanifin is signed for one more year but Calgary can retain 50%, but notice Hanifin has no signing bonus money moving forward, it's straight salary. So your asking Calgary to fork out 10 million over 4 years for a player to not play for them, on top of everything else.

The trade cost of salary retention to make your Uber D work in a cap system seems awfully prohibitive.

I see it like this,

DeBrusk for Hanifin

Bjork and Lindholm for Lucic

If I have to add a pick to sweeten the deal I do it.

Like I said before it can all be tweaked where necessary.

Taking on other teams cap hits is something teams with Cap space do all the time. How do you think Bergevin ended up with so many picks?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well IDK if you can trade that or not but there other tweaks that can be made to include his salary if need be.

Bruins are stuck with Backes remaining salary. What's done is done. It comes off the books one way, when the 2020-21 season concludes.

Reactions: bbfan419

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
This bruins team needs to add a d man to this group badly. We also need to bring in a good top six winger many options on the wings but not many times are d like AP on the market they need him bad. I’m all for trading for OEL as well this team
Needs to get a d man

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Bruins are stuck with Backes remaining salary. What's done is done. It comes off the books one way, when the 2020-21 season concludes.

My plan is based on the 6 Dmen you have now named the Uber-D

Mac/Hanifin
Petro/Dillon
Carlo/Lauzon

that is the base of the plan everyone else not named Marchy,Bergy,Pasta,Stud and Coyle are expendable to me, I not married to any of them, I bend,stretch,break,fix whatever it takes to complete the roster from that starting point.

I believe that to be an near impenetrable D that won't get worn down when push comes to shove. The offence will be in the defense.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Bruins are not going to get Hanifin, Pietrangelo, and Dillon this off season. It won't happen. I bet they don't get two of them either, and very possibly not even one. But if they did do that, I'd look forward to lots of 1-0 and 2-1 losses because all the money for secondary scoring is gone.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The Bruins are not going to get Hanifin, Pietrangelo, and Dillon this off season. It won't happen. I bet they don't get two of them either, and very possibly not even one. But if they did do that, I'd look forward to lots of 1-0 and 2-1 losses because all the money for secondary scoring is gone.
I saw a fan speculate the Bruins move on D to be signing Ben Hutton. That would be a very Bruins thing to do.

Reactions: Buck Smith

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Physical game was fairly even that night, with the Lightning ended up having more hits. The difference was that Dallas scored goals and capitalized on their chances and Tampa did not score enough. Dallas has been making their way thru these playoffs by cashing in on their scoring chances, despite being outplayed for a good stretch of their run and despite their offense being mostly non-existent for the majority of the year.

Boston was also up 1-0 after the first game of the SCF last year; let's walk off from the hyperbole of " not being close to the playoff team that Dallas is " until they actually win.
At the beginning of the playoffs my nine year old grandson picked the Dallas Stars to win the Cup. I told him that it would either be Tampa or Colorado. He was adament with no reason other than they're "big, tough and fast." I told him that there was no way that'd happen but he stuck to his guns. The kid is chuckling at his old grandpa now, I hope that he's right!

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Ya, probably not. Lucky if we get even one of them.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I have a 22 man roster and as usual you didn't read it through. I still have the option of trading Rask and signing a FA goalie for and additional saving of a million or two. I also can leave Chara out of the equation and give his spot to Vaak for a saving of .5M. The overages can be split up over the next two seasons so I can exercise that if need be. The options are there, it may need a tweak here and a tweak there but it's fully doable.

It isn't You are now changing your roster to including moving Rask. Even with your 22 man roster, it is still over because of the bonuses.

You are now changing your roster, like I said you had to (Chara to Vaakanianen) and it still is over. Split the overage in half and you're still over.

Not to mention you somehow moved Backes' cap in a trade to who for what and why?

Again, roster doesn't fit.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So you're going to not re-sign Chara and give his spot to a young D-man who by most accounts here of people that watched him in Providence, still needs more AHL time, just to save 500k and make your Uber-D work?

What difference does unloading vs. demoting mean for the likes of Lindholm, Clifton or Kuhlman? Their salaries don't exceed the thresehold for some of it to remain on the cap if sent to the AHL.

You can't trade Backes contract. He's gone, you can only trade the player.

Thank you. Plus, it still doesn't work capwise with that move that can't exist.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Not only that but the forward corps are a hot dumpster fire. There's a guy who scored 8 goals last year playing 2nd line minutes and on the opposite wing, you have a guy who scored 0 goals in 17 games with his new team. None of the wingers after the top line scored double digit goals in the NHL last year so... WTF is the point? You have an improved defense that's going to be hemmed in their zone for the majority of their shift because the wingers are too slow or just suck to help move the puck up and out and when they finally do, nobody can score a f***ing goal.

I didn't even get to that forward core, I was still on the impossibility of the cap and how it simply doesn't work. It's over by millions so I've moved on.

That forward group would be the worst in Boston since pre-Savard. Over 15 years+ bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->