Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion III - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We see different things when we watch the Bruins.

Where you see failed secondary scoring, I see failed D.

You mention how Tampa and St. Louis shut down the 1st line , what if we turn the tables?

It starts a D bro, come on , you learn that in peewee.

You notion that the D needs to be tweaked is sound, but you've gone overboard with the suggestion of bringing in Dillon, Hanifin, and Pietrangelo while retaining Carlo and McAvoy.

Reactions: Coach Parker

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Marchy/Bergy/Pasta
Lucic/Krejci/Kase
Ritchie/Coyle/Stud
Kuraly/TFred/Seny
Wags

Mac/Hanifin
Petro/Dillon
Carlo/Lauzon
Zboril/Chara

Rask/Halak

Trade

Boston/Calgary

To Boston>>>> Lucic,Hanifin 50% retained
To Calgary >>> DeBrusk , Bjork , Lindholm

FA signings

Petro 9M
Dillon 4M
Chara 1.5M >>> .7M+.8M bonus for playing over 10 games

RFA signings

Seny .725/1 last chance.
Zboril .725/1 last chance.

Traded for picks, to take on Backes contract and overages.

Moore
Grizz
Cliffy
Kuhlman

Alternatively we let Chara walk and fill in with Vaak.

Bingo , there it is , Come and try to f*** with us now.
No way I trade DeBrusk and Bjork and bring in another F Lucic who can't skate to save his own life.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Whoops. Editing error trying to copy roster from Cap Friendly.

Coles notes: I added Taylor Hall, Brendan Dillon, Josh Anderson
Subtracted: DeBrusk, Ritchie, Kase, Moore, Lindholm, Backes cap hit.

Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
Hall - Krejci - Anderson
Bjork - Coyle - Studnicka
Kuraly - Frederick - Wagner
Blidh

Dillon - McAvoy
Gryz - Carlo
Chara - Clifton
Lauzon

Rask
Halak

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Krug will likely be gone and I'm fine with that.
If we traded Bjork, Debrusk, Kuhlman and sought out some size, guys who get in the dirty areas... I would be thrilled.

It is very evident why NYI gave Tampa a hard time and so are now Dallas....hit hit hit hit and hitting. They don't piss around. They hit everyone. Stars or not.
Tampa likes to dictate the physical game, Dallas did not allow them to in game 1.

We are not even close to being that type of playoff team Dallas is, let alone Tampa.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I would take lucic back at 50% for the third line. I think he would fit very well with coyle.

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
We hit “bring back Lucic” right on schedule guys. Congrats to all involved! Efficiency of a German train over here.

Magic comment BrainOfJ!

Last year there were several who dropped ideas like Kyle Wood and Nick Hague... that was at least wishful and creative! Surely there has to be a bundle of more interesting 'studs' than Lucic out there! Neely and Sweens seem willing to pay up!

Reactions: bbfan419

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You lost me here. Your asking Calgary to retain 50% of Hanifin's nearly 5 million salary. Over 4 years, on a 23-year old D-man whose a solid player for them now? This kinda of stuff never happens. Usually salary retention is older players who have declined to the point they aren't even worth a fraction of what they make (see Backes, David). You never see it with younger player entering their prime who have several years left on their current deal.

We can switch the salary retention from Hanifin to Lucic if it makes you feel better.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
No way I trade DeBrusk and Bjork and bring in another F Lucic who can't skate to save his own life.

I don't want Lucic back any more than the next guy but if your trying to get Hanifin you have to give Calgary a reason to do it.

They need a C by giving them homeboy DeBrusk you have given them a replacement for Gaudreau which they can now trade for the C they need.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Whoops. Editing error trying to copy roster from Cap Friendly.

Coles notes: I added Taylor Hall, Brendan Dillon, Josh Anderson
Subtracted: DeBrusk, Ritchie, Kase, Moore, Lindholm, Backes cap hit.

Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
Hall - Krejci - Anderson
Bjork - Coyle - Studnicka
Kuraly - Frederick - Wagner
Blidh

Dillon - McAvoy
Gryz - Carlo
Chara - Clifton
Lauzon

Rask
Halak

Other than adding Dillon and subtracting Krug that's the same D as last year. Dillon alone doesn't fix the D.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Once you post your roster as cap compliant answer this:

Would you trade Carlo for Virtanen, Baetrschi and Leivo?

Yes or no?

If no, why would you expect the Flames to trade their 2nd pairing D for a RFA a third liner with potential and a 4th liner? Believe it or not, those three have scored (147 Goals) more in the NHL than the three Bruins you offered (80 goals) to the Flames that no one from their fanbase liked at all. Closer to double the goals scored and I bet you wouldn't touch that trade with a ten foot pole.

I don't even have to think about that one, of course I do but you think your gonna get all that for a stay a home Dman?

The Flames do it to unload the Lucic contract.

Those 3 have scored more goals, come on ,they have also played more games so duh.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't even have to think about that one, of course I do but you think your gonna get all that for a stay a home Dman?

The Flames do it to unload the Lucic contract.

Those 3 have scored more goals, come on ,they have also played more games so duh.

I think your even overrating Calgary's desire to unload that contract. They brought him in a year ago, they knew what they were getting themselves into Edmonton retained 12.5%, and he had a good play-off. Not saying they'd be totally against it, but is it a high priority for them? I'm not so sure.

They might not be overly pleased with Hanifin's development, but they also have just 3 other D under contract for next year. Is shipping out Hanifin for another winger really something they'd be prioritizing?

Why are they retaining salary on either? Do they have a great need for more cap space this coming year? How much more do the Bruins have to give up to get some salary retention to make your Uber-D-Corps suggestion work in a cap system?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Marchy6.125/Bergy 6.875/Pasta6.6
Lucic5.25/Krejci7.25/Kase 2.6
Ritchie1.5/Coyle5.25/Stud .77
Kuraly1.275/TFred.925/Seny.725
Mac 4.9/Hanifin 50% retained 2.475
Petro 9/Dillon 4
Carlo2.85/Lauzon .85
Zboril .725/ Chara 1.5
Tuukka 7/Halak 2.25
Total 80.695M$
Again, in case I didn’t make it clear
I still have other options
1) I can still trade Rask and opt among the many options of legit goalie’s available this off-season
2) I can let Chara walk and give his spot to Vaak saving an additional .55M
3) I am unloading , therefore not demoting
Bjork
Moore
Lindholm
Grizz
Cliffy
Kuhlman

Among what I'm onloading I am sending Backes' contract with it, even if nothing comes back
Overages which I can split or trade or avoid all together by trading Rask.

Whatever goal deficit which I have gone into detail for you in prior posts will be erased by an up-tick in goal production from the D and goal prevention from a formidable D corps.

On a sunny day I even get a draft pick or two.

again

Boom , GN!!!!

Bang heads with you in the AM

Incorrect. You didn't make it work BOOM. Sorry.

You don't have the 1.9 million bonus overage carried from last year.
You don't have a 23 man roster.

Nice try though but you proved my point and should concede now. This roster is NOT CAP COMPLIANT AT ALL.

Move on to something else.

Reactions: Mantis

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think your even overrating Calgary's desire to unload that contract. They brought him in a year ago, they knew what they were getting themselves into Edmonton retained 12.5%, and he had a good play-off. Not saying they'd be totally against it, but is it a high priority for them? I'm not so sure.

They might not be overly pleased with Hanifin's development, but they also have just 3 other D under contract for next year. Is shipping out Hanifin for another winger really something they'd be prioritizing?

Why are they retaining salary on either? Do they have a great need for more cap space this coming year? How much more do the Bruins have to give up to get some salary retention to make your Uber-D-Corps suggestion work in a cap system?

Multiple people said the same to me that he was good on the 3rd/4th line and they currently have lots of cap space as well. There simply is no precedent of this retention taking place.

I am moving on because the cap doesn't even work on that fantasy team as I posted again below. Not even considering how no GM would make that trade as it's terrible for Calgary.

Reactions: BruinDust

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Krug will likely be gone and I'm fine with that.
If we traded Bjork, Debrusk, Kuhlman and sought out some size, guys who get in the dirty areas... I would be thrilled.

It is very evident why NYI gave Tampa a hard time and so are now Dallas....hit hit hit hit and hitting. They don't piss around. They hit everyone. Stars or not.
Tampa likes to dictate the physical game, Dallas did not allow them to in game 1.

We are not even close to being that type of playoff team Dallas is, let alone Tampa.

Physical game was fairly even that night, with the Lightning ended up having more hits. The difference was that Dallas scored goals and capitalized on their chances and Tampa did not score enough. Dallas has been making their way thru these playoffs by cashing in on their scoring chances, despite being outplayed for a good stretch of their run and despite their offense being mostly non-existent for the majority of the year.

Boston was also up 1-0 after the first game of the SCF last year; let's walk off from the hyperbole of " not being close to the playoff team that Dallas is " until they actually win.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Nice try though but you proved my point and should concede now. This roster is NOT CAP COMPLIANT AT ALL.

I have a 22 man roster and as usual you didn't read it through. I still have the option of trading Rask and signing a FA goalie for and additional saving of a million or two. I also can leave Chara out of the equation and give his spot to Vaak for a saving of .5M. The overages can be split up over the next two seasons so I can exercise that if need be. The options are there, it may need a tweak here and a tweak there but it's fully doable.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Get a scorer- Hall, Dadonov, Hoffman, someone that can put 25 goals in the back of the net and shows up most nights to play. That has to be priority #1, or else we are doing this damn discussion all over again next year. Whatever space is left, or whatever deal is to be made, sign a solid LHD like Dillon who can play good D and give you 20 minutes a night. Scoring from the blueline could improve anyway- McAvoy and Gryz both have more to give in that area, McAvoy in particular. Who knows what else a season may bring.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Marchy6.125/Bergy 6.875/Pasta6.6
Lucic5.25/Krejci7.25/Kase 2.6
Ritchie1.5/Coyle5.25/Stud .77
Kuraly1.275/TFred.925/Seny.725
Mac 4.9/Hanifin 50% retained 2.475
Petro 9/Dillon 4
Carlo2.85/Lauzon .85
Zboril .725/ Chara 1.5
Tuukka 7/Halak 2.25
Total 80.695M$
Again, in case I didn’t make it clear
I still have other options
1) I can still trade Rask and opt among the many options of legit goalie’s available this off-season
Bjork
Moore
Lindholm
Grizz
Cliffy
Kuhlman

Among what I'm onloading I am sending Backes' contract with it, even if nothing comes back
Overages which I can split or trade or avoid all together by trading Rask.

Whatever goal deficit which I have gone into detail for you in prior posts will be erased by an up-tick in goal production from the D and goal prevention from a formidable D corps.

On a sunny day I even get a draft pick or two.

again

Boom , GN!!!!

Bang heads with you in the AM

So why is this magical other team taking in the rest of the Backes money for free again in an upcoming flat cap world?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Not only that but the forward corps are a hot dumpster fire. There's a guy who scored 8 goals last year playing 2nd line minutes and on the opposite wing, you have a guy who scored 0 goals in 17 games with his new team. None of the wingers after the top line scored double digit goals in the NHL last year so... WTF is the point? You have an improved defense that's going to be hemmed in their zone for the majority of their shift because the wingers are too slow or just suck to help move the puck up and out and when they finally do, nobody can score a f***ing goal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Bjork
Moore
Lindholm
Grizz
Cliffy
Kuhlman

So you're going to not re-sign Chara and give his spot to a young D-man who by most accounts here of people that watched him in Providence, still needs more AHL time, just to save 500k and make your Uber-D work?

What difference does unloading vs. demoting mean for the likes of Lindholm, Clifton or Kuhlman? Their salaries don't exceed the thresehold for some of it to remain on the cap if sent to the AHL.

You can't trade Backes contract. He's gone, you can only trade the player.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Other than adding Dillon and subtracting Krug that's the same D as last year. Dillon alone doesn't fix the D.

You mean the same the D that helped win the William Jennings trophy for fewest goals allowed? So I subtracted Krug because we can't afford him really, added Dillon a vet with size and snarl (something we lacked). Our D is fine. Just can't have Gryz/Krug playing big minutes come playoff time because they get taken advantage of size wise.

We might lose a few PP goals but the additions of Hall and a healthy Anderson might make up for that and than some. Our main objective has to be adding secondary scoring. Secondary objective is adding some snarl that can keep up. I think I solved both, whether it's doable or not in the real world who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad