Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
Wisconsin up 1-0 after 1 on a C. Caufield goal. Holloway with 1 shot which is a bit disappointing given the Badgers had a 5 minute powerplay to end the period. Shots are 13-3 for the Badgers. Can't find a live stream so I'm going off live updates.

Reactions: oilers'72

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Can they somehow manage to get Konovalov over here after they waive Koskinen?

Interesting idea but I don't think he'll be in Edmonton this year. My guess is Kosko gets bought out at the end of the year and that opens the door a bit for the team's goaltending hopefuls.

Prospects are always overrated by their club's fans but really I don't remember a season in which I have felt more optimistic about the guys in the pipeline.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting idea but I don't think he'll be in Edmonton this year. My guess is Kosko gets bought out at the end of the year and that opens the door a bit for the team's goaltending hopefuls.

Prospects are always overrated by their club's fans but really I don't remember a season in which I have felt more optimistic about the guys in the pipeline.

I had been expecting a Neal buyout, but hadn't even looked into a Kosinen buyout. That might not be a bad idea. Saves $3 M next year and only costs us $1.5 M the next year, and then we are done. That is pretty favorable. If we are allowed to do 2 buyouts (not sure if we can do that in 1 year), we could save $6.8 M next year, $2.3 M in 2022-23, and then it would cost us $1.9 M for 23-24 and 24-25. It is expected that the cap is going to start rising in 23-24 though, so that 1.9 M isn't very much really.

We could do some pretty large improvements with the team with $6.8 M next season. It would have landed us Markstrom this past year, plus a bottom of the roster player. I personally wouldn't have signed Markstrom to that deal, so I'm just using this as an example.

Reactions: nuck

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I had been expecting a Neal buyout, but hadn't even looked into a Kosinen buyout. That might not be a bad idea. Saves $3 M next year and only costs us $1.5 M the next year, and then we are done. That is pretty favorable. If we are allowed to do 2 buyouts (not sure if we can do that in 1 year), we could save $6.8 M next year, $2.3 M in 2022-23, and then it would cost us $1.9 M for 23-24 and 24-25. It is expected that the cap is going to start rising in 23-24 though, so that 1.9 M isn't very much really.

We could do some pretty large improvements with the team with $6.8 M next season. It would have landed us Markstrom this past year, plus a bottom of the roster player. I personally wouldn't have signed Markstrom to that deal, so I'm just using this as an example.

Yah, I just don't see how the team can go into the new season carrying that big cap hit for Koskinen when they are obviously looking for a veteran goalie upgrade.

My guess is that Kosko gets bought out this summer and Neal gets bought out the following summer.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yah, I just don't see how the team can go into the new season carrying that big cap hit for Koskinen when they are obviously looking for a veteran goalie upgrade.

My guess is that Kosko gets bought out this summer and Neal gets bought out the following summer.

Waiting one more season for Neal would lessen the cap penalty for sure, but they are essentially healthy scratching him half the games right now.

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
What can you tell us about his intangibles (beyond his skill set)? Ie. work ethic, leadership, etc? We all get to see the highlight reels and a number of our fans watch most of his games, but it's always nice to hear from an unbiased source as well.
I'm an Islanders fan and not an Oilers one so I guess I am unbiased in that regard, but I'm a Wisconsin fan so I am biased in that one.

It's hard for me to say what his leadership qualities are without being in the room but I do know he's genuinely liked and respected by his teammates. As for his work ethic, as I have said before, it's really obvious how much he was worked on his game from last season to this one. He's an all around player and one I haven't heard a bad thing said about.

Really, really excited for you guys. I think he's another Richter, Chelios, Pavelski, Heatley type where he's a guy who has the level of success in the NHL that makes him always propped up by the program long after he's gone. I believe in him that much. Soaking in every minute of having him and Caufield on the same team, regardless of how this season ends.

I will also add that Holloway is certainly better at setting up teammates, at least in my view than Caufield. I think Cole gets all the press and rightfully so, specifically for his goal scoring ability. Having said that Holloway has proven that his shot is the 2nd best on the team and I don't think it is by that much either. Caufield has a shot unlike any I have ever seen from a Badger and Holloway isn't far behind, he just doesn't show it quite as frequently.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
From what the media has been saying “healthy” scratch isn’t quite accurate. Sounds like the after effects of covid are taking him through the wringer.
I agree. He's never been a great skater, but he seems to be lacking energy. If anyone should maybe get a small pass after the last 3 games, it might be him.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm an Islanders fan and not an Oilers one so I guess I am unbiased in that regard, but I'm a Wisconsin fan so I am biased in that one.

It's hard for me to say what his leadership qualities are without being in the room but I do know he's genuinely liked and respected by his teammates. As for his work ethic, as I have said before, it's really obvious how much he was worked on his game from last season to this one. He's an all around player and one I haven't heard a bad thing said about.

Really, really excited for you guys. I think he's another Richter, Chelios, Pavelski, Heatley type where he's a guy who has the level of success in the NHL that makes him always propped up by the program long after he's gone. I believe in him that much. Soaking in every minute of having him and Caufield on the same team, regardless of how this season ends.

I will also add that Holloway is certainly better at setting up teammates, at least in my view than Caufield. I think Cole gets all the press and rightfully so, specifically for his goal scoring ability. Having said that Holloway has proven that his shot is the 2nd best on the team and I don't think it is by that much either. Caufield has a shot unlike any I have ever seen from a Badger and Holloway isn't far behind, he just doesn't show it quite as frequently.

Thx for the info

Where do u envision he could fit in with the Oilers? Top 6 or bottom 6

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Raphael Lavoie is on a tear. 12 points in his last 5 games including 2+1 this morning. 45 points on the season.

Matej Blumel recorded a primary assist on an overtime winner.

Dylan Holloway is playing right now.

If Lavoie and Holloway turn out even close to as good as I think they are clearly capable of they may make me forget passing up on Zegras for Broberg.

I really see Lavoie as a young and still useful Neal and Holloway as a great 2 way forechecking beast. Great complimentary pieces to McDrai. Hopefully sooner than later.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If Lavoie and Holloway turn out even close to as good as I think they are clearly capable of they may make me forget passing up on Zegras for Broberg.

I really see Lavoie as a young and still useful Neal and Holloway as a great 2 way forechecking beast. Great complimentary pieces to McDrai. Hopefully sooner than later.

Lavoie is tearing up a 2nd class pro-league on a really, really bad team. I'm hoping we get to see him back over in the AHL once the league is done over in Sweden. If he can put up a decent PPG in the AHL then I'll start getting excited. NHLe Calculator has Allsvenskan as being ranked roughly as equivalent of the good NCAA conferences. Lavoie's NHLe is around 25-30 points. He has a ways to go still and I wouldn't expect him on the big club next year.

Reactions: Aerchon

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lavoie is tearing up a 2nd class pro-league on a really, really bad team. I'm hoping we get to see him back over in the AHL once the league is done over in Sweden. If he can put up a decent PPG in the AHL then I'll start getting excited. NHLe Calculator has Allsvenskan as being ranked roughly as equivalent of the good NCAA conferences. Lavoie's NHLe is around 25-30 points. He has a ways to go still and I wouldn't expect him on the big club next year.
My biggest and really only question for Lavoie is consistency and effort. When he's on there is no doubt in my mind that he should be a top 6 NHL player. He's a force when he's engaged in a game and moving his feet, and imo his skating issues have always been slightly overblown as they were for Draisaitl and Bouchard (call it big man not moving his feet syndrome).

I really hope he's maturing as a player since I last saw him play for Halifax because his potential is sky high and he can be a quality NHLer if he wants to be.

Reactions: Aerchon

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A lot of people have written off Skinner because of his game here, not mentioning the fact that was his first competitive game in almost a year. But through his first 5 AHL games he’s got a 1.61 and a .932.

I still think there is a legit NHL prospect there.

Of course they've written him off. It's the Oilers fans. One bad game = suck, horrible, bust, AHLer

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Of course they've written him off. It's the Oilers fans. One bad game = suck, horrible, bust, AHLer

Yeah, I mean 41gp. 0.892sv% and a 3.31GAA last season showed great promise in his game. Or maybe it was his 6gp. 0.879sv% and 2.99GAA that showed great promise the previous season? I personally didn't write him off yet but I did say that he is not close to NHL ready yet and that this is a critical season in his development to show something positive. 5 games in and so far so good, we'll see how things are at the 15-20 game mark. Those are stats that'd make Koskinen blush and IIRC you have ripped on him.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, I mean 41gp. 0.892sv% and a 3.31GAA last season showed great promise in his game. Or maybe it was his 6gp. 0.879sv% and 2.99GAA that showed great promise the previous season? I personally didn't write him off yet but I did say that he is not close to NHL ready yet and that this is a critical season in his development to show something positive. 5 games in and so far so good, we'll see how things are at the 15-20 game mark. Those are stats that'd make Koskinen blush and IIRC you have ripped on him.
Goaltending, next to defence, is the hardest position to grow in overall. Instead of seeing the progression, you look at the negatives

Koskinen is over 30 years old. Skinner is still a kid...

Koskinen deserves to be ripped on. His glove hand is atrocious and his position is horrible. When he makes a save, it looks uncomfortable for him and that is concerning. He’s allowed weak goals in key situations as well

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Goaltending, next to defence, is the hardest position to grow in overall. Instead of seeing the progression, you look at the negatives

Koskinen is over 30 years old. Skinner is still a kid...

Koskinen deserves to be ripped on. His glove hand is atrocious and his position is horrible. When he makes a save, it looks uncomfortable for him and that is concerning. He’s allowed weak goals in key situations as well

The bottom line is that since turning pro he hasn't shown much. I hope as much as anyone that he becomes a #1 goalie for us. Local kid, good size, rocks a NHL worthy playoff beard already, etc. I hope that he continues on his current level of play and that he as well as Rodrigue and Konovalov show NHL promise because it's been far too damn long since we've had NHL quality goalies in the system.

Reactions: Biltmore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad