Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Re: Blumel, agree its a weird situation. Wonder if the previous June 1 deadline is shifted at all due to covid, as all other deadlines seem to have been.

I do wonder if the date got moved and no one has been clear on it.

Maybe they are working on a deal, who knows.

I haven't seen anything in the NHL transition rules or media reporting that the June 1st draft rights date was extended. Rather all the reporting I've seen so far has been confirming the June 1st date was left unchanged.

The March 1st to June 1st window for signing players to the upcoming season may have been extended, but that's a slightly different rule that wouldn't extend draft rights past June 1.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Weather guy, farm report guy, remote guy, sports guy, all around station guy.

Let's talk about Chihuahuas and Chi Chi Rodriguez. :D

Loni had some nice ta tas and Bailey Quarters was hot as well. It was an awesome show. It only ran @4 years. I want some Herb Tarlek clothing
99B8E2FC-960F-4395-A681-B5C8C2DD7584.jpeg

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Should have a pool

WHO SIGNS IN OFFSEASON WITH OILERS?
I have a sneaky feeling that Debrusk somehow ends up in Edmonton in a trade and possibly one of Coleman, Schwartz, Tatar, or Garland in Edmonton.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I get why he went there to play during the pandemic but the three year contract extension was perhaps not the best idea.

Consider the source in that tweet haha.

There's a 95% chance it has an NHL out clause like almost every contract signed over there.

Reactions: TB12

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Copper Cow? You are right- he must have been the greatest of all time. Much more entertaining than what we have now on the airwaves.
Taxi was a dandy as well.
I even got a laugh outta Welcome Back Kotter

ROSES ARE RED
VIOLETS ARE BLUE
I WONT LET MY DAUGHTER
DATE A PUERTO RICAN JEW

POETRY BY JUAN EPSTEIN

North

Jun 25, 2009
Consider the source in that tweet haha.

There's a 95% chance it has an NHL out clause like almost every contract signed over there.

Yeah I’m not sure there isn’t an out clause but I am wondering if he was trying to make it so if he didn’t make the NHL rather than play in the AHL, he could return to the Czech Republic.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Taxi was a dandy as well.
I even got a laugh outta Welcome Back Kotter

ROSES ARE RED
VIOLETS ARE BLUE
I WONT LET MY DAUGHTER
DATE A PUERTO RICAN JEW

POETRY BY JUAN EPSTEIN
Too funny. But that wouldn't get the time of day on TV in todays politically sensitive world. Same with classics like Archie Bunker, the Jeffersons, or Sanford and Son.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Looking for info on some players who made their NHL debut last season, what kind of future outlook do these guys have?

Ryan McLeod
Stuart Skinner
Skinner looks good in the AHL, but needs to take that next step and show he can steal a game or 2 up in the bigs. McLeod, I'm not completely sold on. Very good skater, but very tentative and non-physical up here. Hopefully that is just being in awe for the first ride. He needs to be much more assertive and physical.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Looking for info on some players who made their NHL debut last season, what kind of future outlook do these guys have?

Ryan McLeod
Stuart Skinner
McLeod will probably be an average to above average bottom 6 guy.

Skinner I think has an alright chance to be a 20-25 game NHL backup

Reactions: Legionnaire11

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
5. The Oilers have lost the rights to their 100th over-all pick from 2019 by not signing him before the June 1st deadline. But from what I can gather, while the club didn’t want to lose Matej Blumel they also didn’t consider him an “A” or maybe even a “B” prospect. As such, they did not feel compelled to use one of their 50 contracts on him. Is this a mistake by the club? Time will tell. I’m made to understand the fact that Blumel decided against staying and developing in college was also a factor.
From: Is Edmonton Oilers G.M. Ken Holland still in there pitching with his best fastball?: 9 Things | Edmonton Journal

I hope that isn't supposed to make us feel better.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Reactions: oilers'72

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

It's a dumb move with a player that was doing things in the Czech league that players that age don't do unless they're really good. Maybe not even a B prospect? So they're just openly admitting that they're bad at scouting now? How many C prospects play on their country's World Championship team at 20/21?

The Oilers are at 31 contracts and even if they sign all their RFAs and UFAs, which they won't, it would bring them to exactly 50 contracts, then they'll be losing a player to Seattle. The 50 contract thing seems like blowing smoke to me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

That is beyond stupid. This reeks of thinking that we're the smartest people in the room or covering their own asses for a monumental screw up. I remember us trading away Riley Nash's rights because he wouldn't bend to our wills developmentally either. Ultimately the player has to be on board with where they are playing and in this case the player had more than enough skill to be worth 1 of 50 contracts.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
That is beyond stupid. This reeks of thinking that we're the smartest people in the room or covering their own asses for a monumental screw up. I remember us trading away Riley Nash's rights because he wouldn't bend to our wills developmentally either. Ultimately the player has to be on board with where they are playing and in this case the player had more than enough skill to be worth 1 of 50 contracts.

That’s not entirely the case with Nash. He said we had too many centres and didn’t want to sign.

This seems odd unless the Oilers were really that vehemently opposed to him spending his formative playing years in the Czech Republic.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
That’s not entirely the case with Nash. He said we had too many centres and didn’t want to sign.

This seems odd unless the Oilers were really that vehemently opposed to him spending his formative playing years in the Czech Republic.

They could sign him then leave him there on loan to retain his rights. I hope this doesn't come back to bite the team in the ass.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

North

Jun 25, 2009
They could sign him then leave him there on loan to retain his rights. I hope this doesn't come back to bite the team in the ass.

I think the issue is they didn’t want to leave him there. Maybe they felt like their hand was being forced because he signed that contract extension.

This is speculation of course but what if he was trying to make it so if he wasn’t in the NHL then rather than go to the AHL he would go to the Czech Republic.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad