2020-2021 NHLPA Player Poll

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Regarding the Matthews vs Ovi thing, I don’t know if the poll is asking who is the better goal scorer this season, or now and moving forward, or in their careers.

If it’s right now, it’s Matthews. If it’s moving forward, it’s also Matthews. Career wise or for the past 5 years since Matthews joined the league, it’s obviously Ovi.

I’m not as offended about it as some here, and I’m one of the biggest Ovi homers around here.

just so we are clear, Matthews is not far behind Ovi for total goals since he came into the league, and that is having played through fewer games because of injury. I think the difference is 5-6 goals. Matthews has better g/60 and g/GP stats too

Matthews has scored more even strength goals than ovechkin since he entreated the league too

It isn’t a wild thing to say Matthews is the best goal scorer now and going forward

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
No one should be upset by Matthews topping Ovi as goal scorer. This poll is a “right now” ranking - no one in the world said that Gretzky was the best goal scorer in the league in 98-99 when he had under 10 goals.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tbh there's some stuff in there that seems almost slanderous to McDavid.

Also I have to lol at Matthews beating Ovechkin for the "best goal scorer" title. Ovi's literally going to go down as the GOAT goal scorer, and he has won 7 of the last 9 Rocket Richard trophies. I'm going to need to see a larger sample size from Matthews before I'd put him over Ovechkin personally, even with Matthews being much better this season.

Do you not understand that this is a yearly poll based on the past season?

It’s sad that this is the first response to the OP.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
just so we are clear, Matthews is not far behind Ovi for total goals since he came into the league, and that is having played through fewer games because of injury. I think the difference is 5-6 goals. Matthews has better g/60 and g/GP stats too

Matthews has scored more even strength goals than ovechkin since he entreated the league too

It isn’t a wild thing to say Matthews is the best goal scorer now and going forward

Now and moving forward, no. In the past though, the stats disagree strongly.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Now and moving forward, no. In the past though, the stats disagree strongly.

What?

Clearly Matthews has been the better goal scorer since both existed in the league at the same time (past five seasons only)

The only lead that Ovi has on Matthews is in the PP goal department, but that is just from his massive minutes more than anything. Matthews has a better G/60 on the PP

upload_2021-6-20_18-31-18.png

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
What?

Clearly Matthews has been the better goal scorer since both existed in the league at the same time (past five seasons only)

The only lead that Ovi has on Matthews is in the PP goal department, but that is just from his massive minutes more than anything. Matthews has a better G/60 on the PP

It's hard to argue against willful blindness. The one thing Ovechkin fan boys have over everyone else is their absolute willingness to be belligerent.

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Not sure what is slanderous to McDavid. Draisaitl is a better passer. Oilers fans see it all the time. McDavid racks up more assists by driving the play and carrying the puck. Draisaitl’s back hand passes are dirty.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What?

View attachment 448182

I’ve heard all these arguments about how Matthews leads the league in cherry picked stats.

Here’s my thoughts on it, feel free to disagree.

- PP goals and ES goals are worth the same and it doesn’t really matter how much ice time they get on the PP. Ovechkin plays the full 2 minutes on the PP because there are no better options for a 2nd PP wave, naturally the /60 numbers will look a bit worse as a consequence.

- Ovechkin has 3 Rockets to Matthews’ 1 Rocket, and he managed to score more goals overall in that time frame despite the down season this year where Matthews beat him by a solid margin.

- In the playoffs, Matthews got close to 24 minutes of ice time and scored 1 goal in 7 games. Ice time is just an excuse, having more of it doesn’t magically increase production.

Reactions: User9992

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I’ve heard all these arguments about how Matthews leads the league in cherry picked stats.

Here’s my thoughts on it, feel free to disagree.

- PP goals and ES goals are worth the same and it doesn’t really matter how much ice time they get on the PP. Ovechkin plays the full 2 minutes on the PP because there are no better options for a 2nd PP wave, naturally the /60 numbers will look a bit worse as a consequence.

- Ovechkin has 3 Rockets to Matthews’ 1 Rocket, and he managed to score more goals overall in that time frame despite the down season this year where Matthews beat him by a solid margin.

- In the playoffs, Matthews got close to 24 minutes of ice time and scored 1 goal in 7 games. Ice time is just an excuse, having more of it doesn’t magically increase production.

Cherry picked stats? This is literally the raw aggregate of goals over the time period:

upload_2021-6-21_8-27-7.png

Matthews has 6 less goals in 24 less games, and that includes Matthews joining a rebuilding team with basically no talent on the roster, and Ovi playing through his prime on a cup caliber team. This also includes periods of time where Matthews was recovering from concussions and wrist injuries that had him on multi game cold streaks

The whole idea that Matthews "couldn't hold Ovi's jock" or whatever is nonsense. Clearly Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league right now and will be going forward

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Cherry picked stats? This is literally the raw aggregate of goals over the time period:

View attachment 448409

Matthews has 6 less goals in 24 less games, and that includes Matthews joining a rebuilding team with basically no talent on the roster, and Ovi playing through his prime on a cup caliber team. This also includes periods of time where Matthews was recovering from concussions and wrist injuries that had him on multi game cold streaks

The whole idea that Matthews "couldn't hold Ovi's jock" or whatever is nonsense. Clearly Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league right now and will be going forward

The idea that Matthews played on a roster with no talent outside of him is ridiculous. The Leafs have close to $40M of cap space tied up in their 4 best forwards, give me a break man.

Also, the fact that Ovechkin misses fewer games in spite of having well over 1,400 games of professional hockey behind him is a positive.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The idea that Matthews played on a roster with no talent outside of him is ridiculous. The Leafs have close to $40M of cap space tied up in their 4 best forwards, give me a break man.

Also, the fact that Ovechkin misses fewer games in spite of having well over 1,400 games of professional hockey behind him is a positive.

He does now, but when he joined the league he was playing with such all stars as:

Ben Smith, Nikita Soshnikov, Matt Hunwick, Connor Carrick, Matt Martin, Leo Komarov, Josh Leivo and more.

Ovechkin has been playing with a stacked veteran team for the same time period

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
Ovechkin was out goaled by like 30% despite playing entire 2 minute powerplays and being centered by the best passer in the NHL. This vote isn't nearly as surprising as Ovi fans arguing for a grace period.:sarcasm:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think they give mcdavid a ton of respect. 50% more players think he's the most complete player in the NHL vs Nathan Mackinnon.

Not how it works. Most people voted Crosby or Bergeron. Those same people are more likely to vote MacKinnon or Barkov than McDavid once Crosby/Bergeron retires.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn

At this very moment, Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league solely because of this season.

But this is definitely not Ovechkin's prime either.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
At this very moment, Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league solely because of this season.

But this is definitely not Ovechkin's prime either.

Matthews has been the more efficient goal scorer per game and per minute than Ovechkin since he entered the league

I posted all the evidence above

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Also I have to lol at Matthews beating Ovechkin for the "best goal scorer" title. Ovi's literally going to go down as the GOAT goal scorer, and he has won 7 of the last 9 Rocket Richard trophies. I'm going to need to see a larger sample size from Matthews before I'd put him over Ovechkin personally, even with Matthews being much better this season.

What would be slanderous to McDavid? I think the questions are just not the ones McDavid excels in.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’m really surprised one of the Oiler duo didn’t win best passing. Their assist totals over the past 3 years would indicate they have the best vision, and they do pull off some highlight reel passes every year. Draisaitl should definitely have gotten some votes for shots too, over the past 3 years he has more goals than anyone except Matthews, who has 1 more.

But Backstrom does have the passers reputation so I guess it makes sense, it’s not like it’s an undeserved pick.

I’m also surprised by the Kucherov’s absence for all of these. Even if he didn’t win, he should have been on the passing poll and probably the “pick 1 player to win a game” poll too

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Matthews has been the more efficient goal scorer per game and per minute than Ovechkin since he entered the league

I posted all the evidence above

We’re all aware that Matthews wins the “pace” race.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

whats to laugh about? if youre including the last 4-5 years, ovechkin has the most goals with matthews in 2nd. if youre doing just the last 3 years, matthews has the most goals. matthews being the best goal scorer for the last 3 years won't stop ovechkin from attempting to be the greatest goal scorer of all time.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
whats to laugh about? if youre including the last 4-5 years, ovechkin has the most goals with matthews in 2nd. if youre doing just the last 3 years, matthews has the most goals. matthews being the best goal scorer for the last 3 years won't stop ovechkin from attempting to be the greatest goal scorer of all time.

This is incorrect. In the last 5 years, Matthews has more goals than Ovi, both total goals and GPG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad