2020-2021 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Didn't know where to put this...The Athletic had a fan survey on front office confidence. Obviously we were low on the list, that's not a surprise. What was a surprise to me was how little response there was... only 39 responses for Florida which is sad. Every other team had over 100 responses, that includes Arizona, and 22 teams with over 250 responses. It's always hard to gauge fan interest in a team, but that's a sad response rate.

Really tells you how this team needs success soon or the franchise is in big trouble.

Was it for Athletic subscribers though? Because many cancelled after GR was let go and I don't think they have replaced him.

Yeah, they don't even pretend to cover the team, so why the hell would any Panthers fans even respond. It should have been lower than 39.

I missed this vote, so I would be one more number.
But yeah, if you're looking for a Florida panther coverage on the Athletic, you might just want to move along. Nothing to see there. Sad really.

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
Was it for Athletic subscribers though? Because many cancelled after GR was let go and I don't think they have replaced him.
I believe Erin Brown used to write there too. I never saw her post on twitter about leaving the athletic but she seems to write for "thehockeynews" now.
So it seems like both panthers writers were let go at the same time. Definitely a big 'f*** you' from the athletic to the (admittedly few) panthers fans who were subscribed.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah but not all teams are covered so even if people cancelled afterwards, still looks pretty sad

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
3 options for NHL's temporary realignment

Hopefully they don't do that 5 division option, that would be a grind.
BOS, BUF, CAR, CBJ, FLA and TB. We would play each team 9-10 times. The only positive thing I can see is it would build rivalries which is always good for the sport and its fans.

Looks like 48 game season or maybe 50 total is the game plan if they want to be done by July.

One of the main questions here for me is regarding Barkov. This past year was a downfall (injury doesn't help) and then him playing 48 games will weaken his negotiations for that new deal no?
Do you think he will hold out to re-sign until last year of his current deal (if he wants to stay in FLA) in hopes of playing a 82 game season in 2021-22 and having more leverage?

I just don't see him eclipsing the $12 million per mark if he stays here and we have back to back years with a reduced regular season.

$11 mil x 8 years seems like the max to me and free agent teams would have to offer around $12.57 mil x 7 years to meet that $88 million total.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

BOS, BUF, CAR, CBJ, FLA and TB. We would play each team 9-10 times. The only positive thing I can see is it would build rivalries which is always good for the sport and its fans.

Looks like 48 game season or maybe 50 total is the game plan if they want to be done by July.

One of the main questions here for me is regarding Barkov. This past year was a downfall (injury doesn't help) and then him playing 48 games will weaken his negotiations for that new deal no?
Do you think he will hold out to re-sign until last year of his current deal (if he wants to stay in FLA) in hopes of playing a 82 game season in 2021-22 and having more leverage?

I just don't see him eclipsing the $12 million per mark if he stays here and we have back to back years with a reduced regular season.

$11 mil x 8 years seems like the max to me and free agent teams would have to offer around $12.57 mil x 7 years to meet that $88 million total.
Man, just seeing those numbers is making me queasy.
Surely he likes us enough to take a discount again? Right? I mean yes the team sucks, and yes our post-season record is basically non-existent... but we have nice jerseys? Also, beaches. And those tax discounts.
But seriously... those negotiations are making me nervous. I like Zito not overpaying, but losing Barkov for nothing like CBJ did with Panarin and Bob would be a disaster. If Barky decides to move on please tell us ASAP so we can at least salvage something from it.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Man, just seeing those numbers is making me queasy.
Surely he likes us enough to take a discount again? Right? I mean yes the team sucks, and yes our post-season record is basically non-existent... but we have nice jerseys? Also, beaches. And those tax discounts.
But seriously... those negotiations are making me nervous. I like Zito not overpaying, but losing Barkov for nothing like CBJ did with Panarin and Bob would be a disaster. If Barky decides to move on please tell us ASAP so we can at least salvage something from it.

Feeling so conflicted right now.

2021 draft is full of really good defense prospects and we need one inside top 10 but this team needs to compete and make playoffs more to have any big hope of retaining Barkov and/or Huberdeau.

Anything can happen in a shortened 48 game season, the last time we played one we finished last in Eastern conference and drafted Barkov.
Looking at those standings, 8th place Islanders were 24-17-7 (55pts).

Only thinking of 2021 draft because if Huberdeau and Barkov do want out if we miss this year, we would have a solid young core to build around with the addition of picks/prospects we would get in return for those two along with what we have already.

Still don't think Huberdeau will stay unless we go far in the next year or two which seems far fetched. Probably can't afford him long term as well.
Re-signing Barkov around $10-11 million would have at least 2-3 years of him and Bob making huge money which should be okay with a lot of prospects on cheap deals.

Barkov, Bob and Ekblad would be the 3 big deals. Bobs deal overlaps Ekblads by one year, that should be the year we move Bob anyhow.
Ekblad will be around 29 when he's due.

Nothing is ever easy for us as Panthers fans

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

2021 draft is full of really good defense prospects and we need one inside top 10 but this team needs to compete and make playoffs more to have any big hope of retaining Barkov and/or Huberdeau.

Anything can happen in a shortened 48 game season, the last time we played one we finished last in Eastern conference and drafted Barkov.

Only thinking of 2021 draft because if Huberdeau and Barkov do want out if we miss this year, we would have a solid young core to build around with the addition of picks/prospects we would get in return for those two along with what we have already.

Still don't think Huberdeau will stay unless we go far in the next year or two which seems far fetched. Probably can't afford him long term as well.
Re-signing Barkov around $10-11 million would have at least 2-3 years of him and Bob making huge money which should be okay with a lot of prospects on cheap deals.

Barkov, Bob and Ekblad would be the 3 big deals. Bobs deal overlaps Ekblads by one year, that should be the year we move Bob anyhow.

Losing Huberdeau would suck as well :( It does look likely though - we'll free money from Strallman, Hornqvist, Connolly and hopefully Yandle by the time we're re-signing him so it's not completely impossible, but soon enough, there will (hopefully) be prospects we need to pay, and you need a reasonable support cast as well. Four big long-term contracts, three to players over or near age 30 - that seems very risky.
I really hope Bob's play picks up because his contract is sure screwing us here :(

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Losing Huberdeau would suck as well :( It does look likely though - we'll free money from Strallman, Hornqvist, Connolly and hopefully Yandle by the time we're re-signing him so it's not completely impossible, but soon enough, there will (hopefully) be prospects we need to pay, and you need a reasonable support cast as well. Four big long-term contracts, three to players over or near age 30 - that seems very risky.
I really hope Bob's play picks up because his contract is sure screwing us here :(

With likely only 50 games or less, it doesn't allow him to have too many bad games right? :)

I can see him playing 36-38 of the 48 (depending on amount of back to backs) and have a strong feeling he will be closer to .915 sv% or above, than him stringing back to back .900 sv%

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

With a 48 game season there will be less money for everyone to throw around, right? And who knows how quickly the financial situation gets back to normal. This year we're seeing some shorter bridge contracts for players that could have received Matheson-contracts under normal circumstances. If things don't go right back to normal, maybe Barkov will also take a deal like Taylor Hall for a year or two until there is more money to throw at him. Of course that kind of deal would be available anywhere, so it wouldn't necessarily be good for the Panthers.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Three random thoughts:

(1) Stamkos signed for what would be 9.5M under the current cap. My target is that contract, give or taken .5M. The tax advantage exists and I doubt that Barky would want substantially more after tax money here than elsewhere if he is willing to come back: We will see what Barky wants though.
(2) I agree on Huberdeau: there is clearly a shot but I have the same sense that he might be less willing.
(3) It is clear that we are rebranding our team around Barkov and not Huby...I do wonder if Laine eventually make his way down here. It’s not working in Winnipeg and I could see us essentially swapping out Huby for Laine in a couple years.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Just saw that Riley Stillman's dad, Cory (ex Panther), was hired by the Coyotes to be an assistant coach. Cory has been the head coach of the Sudbury Wolves in the OHL since 2017.

Reactions: Mase

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I never understood why he signed (same can be said to NJD's side by signing him) with the injury issues he's had the past couple years, and now this happens.

Reactions: harv33173

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

I never understood why he signed (same can be said to NJD's side by signing him) with the injury issues he's had the past couple years, and now this happens.

I suppose it's better to have a contract and then retire than not having a contract and wanting to play.

Reactions: harv33173 and KW

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

So long Bouw. Remember the day we drafted you.

-ghoste

I was at his draft in the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. Tickets were free!

I was so excited that the Panthers drafted him. I liked everything about him him. He was going to be a star, a savior . Wish things could have worked out better for his time here.

He is always going to be one of my favourite Panthers of all time.

Reactions: Ghoste
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->