2020-2021 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Hopefully the Rangers owner thought it was worth $250k to vent the frustration shared by many in the hockey world. It's good with some push and pull, so we don't get a lot of owners out of line but also that Bettman, Parros et al are held accountable at times.
Rangers already send tons of money via revenue sharing, 250K wouldn't really make them blink.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Why is it “terribly unfair to question George Parros’ professionalism...”?

What happened to some level of freedom of speech? I’m glad the Rangers spoke up. Unfettered power is not a good thing.

freedom of speech??? unfettered power???? holy mischaracterization.

this is a professional sports league and the rangers, as a franchise in the league, have agreed to the rules of the road.

this has zero to do with power or freedom of speech.

the statement put out by the rangers was an embarrassment. i'm sure the players, if they cared at all, were more embarrassed than anything else. they need some fat, old rich white dude to have their back with a stupid f***ing press release? please.

the decision on wilson was the correct one.

i haven't been following the rangers rebuild but based on the responses on their forum and the main board, folks felt davidson was doing a good job. i don't blame him for distancing himself from the ridiculous statement the rangers put out and if that's why dolan fired him, then f*** dolan. sounds like a entitled prick.

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hopefully the Rangers owner thought it was worth $250k to vent the frustration shared by many in the hockey world. It's good with some push and pull, so we don't get a lot of owners out of line but also that Bettman, Parros et al are held accountable at times.

i think the hockey world has mostly been manipulated here for drama and the eyeballs that drama brings.

the decision was explained thoroughly and it was the right one. however, the hockey world had already erupted. shoot first, ask questions later.

the issue here is really the media and all damn the pontificators looking for likes on social media by sensationalizing this further. same thing with politics.

the old neil rogers sound bite "The media is sick and needs help badly" has never been more true.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
i think the hockey world has mostly been manipulated here for drama and the eyeballs that drama brings.

the decision was explained thoroughly and it was the right one. however, the hockey world had already erupted. shoot first, ask questions later.

the issue here is really the media and all damn the pontificators looking for likes on social media by sensationalizing this further. same thing with politics.

the old neil rogers sound bite "The media is sick and needs help badly" has never been more true.
Funny thing is everyone on social media nowadays thinks they are the media lol.

Reactions: zeroG and Cold Cat

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
freedom of speech??? unfettered power???? holy mischaracterization.

this is a professional sports league and the rangers, as a franchise in the league, have agreed to the rules of the road.

this has zero to do with power or freedom of speech.

the statement put out by the rangers was an embarrassment. i'm sure the players, if they cared at all, were more embarrassed than anything else. they need some fat, old rich white dude to have their back with a stupid f***ing press release? please.

the decision on wilson was the correct one.

i haven't been following the rangers rebuild but based on the responses on their forum and the main board, folks felt davidson was doing a good job. i don't blame him for distancing himself from the ridiculous statement the rangers put out and if that's why dolan fired him, then f*** dolan. sounds like a entitled prick.
I couldn’t disagree more. The league took inappropriate action, and their complaint is an attempt to take away the right to express opinions. They, and you, are completely wrong on this.

I won’t say more about this, except that this is where the country has come to, and it will be worse. An opinion that is not liked by certain groups must be cancelled. The cancel tone is super aggressive and it won’t rest until all disagreeing people are cancelled and everyone is publicly saying the same things.

F*** that. Cancel me from HF - I don’t care.

Reactions: Crossbar

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I couldn’t disagree more. The league took inappropriate action, and their complaint is an attempt to take away the right to express opinions. They, and you, are completely wrong on this.

I won’t say more about this, except that this is where the country has come to, and it will be worse. An opinion that is not liked by certain groups must be cancelled. The cancel tone is super aggressive and it won’t rest until all disagreeing people are cancelled and everyone is publicly saying the same things.

This isn't about the country though. The NHL is a privately run organization with it's own set of rules and boundaries, much like a website like HF. Freedom of speech doesn't trump (no pun intended, okay maybe a little bit) over those rules in that instance.

NYR made a statement and took the matter to their social media platforms, which has millions of followers. I'm sure there's some part in the agreement between the league and teams that "you aren't to use media platforms to undermine the league", and Dolan knew (like we all did) that he was going to get fined when he decided to put out that statement. If I had money to burn like that, I would've probably done the same thing to show support to my players.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
This isn't about the country though. The NHL is a privately run organization with it's own set of rules and boundaries, much like a website like HF. Freedom of speech doesn't trump (no pun intended, okay maybe a little bit) over those rules in that instance.

NYR made a statement and took the matter to their social media platforms, which has millions of followers. I'm sure there's some part in the agreement between the league and teams that "you aren't to use media platforms to undermine the league", and Dolan knew (like we all did) that he was going to get fined when he decided to put out that statement. If I had money to burn like that, I would've probably done the same thing to show support to my players.

exactly.

and to reiterate, the rangers comment (and all the fan uproar) is just plain wrong. you may not like wilson but as the SN clip someone posted earlier explained in an even-handed manner, no suspendible offense was committed. parros and the DPS followed the established rules when handling this case.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Mark Cuban of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks comes to mind when it comes to owner being outspoken and being fined by the league......worth every penny, as that franchise become profitable afterwards thanks to that or so I've always heard.

The decision to just fine a repeat offender is a complete disgrace and even more of a slap in the face injuring Breadman in the process. If that was Barky getting hurt, every Panther fan would be looking for blood right now. Just look at the suspension the previous head gave a non-repeat offender in Math for hitting Pettersson as a comparable to why this was such a joke of a decision.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I’m glad the statement was made, it keeps the league on their toes and a reminder that people are watching and expecting accountability.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

No reasonable people have been canceled. People with conspiracy theories have been muted. For good reason. Let’s just stick to the facts and enjoy this playoff! Go Panthers!

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Remember when some were mad we didnt get Eric Staal. I was too to some extent. Lets just say "Thank you, Zito"

Staal has been a disaster for Habs. 3 points, -10 in 19 games.
Do you think Bennett would be over a P/G in Montreal? I don't. Where you end up is a big part of it. (Hino 0 points here and 10 points in 15 games in Chicago.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->