2020-2021 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
He's been exactly what our D needed as I tried to tell many Cats fans at the time of the deal. His defensive liabilities are fine.

his defense wasn't his biggest problem - it was his decision-making WITH the puck.

it's hard to reconcile his skill and confidence with the constant string of absolutely stupid turnovers.

couple that with a dearth of offensive production and you've got a grade A bum.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He's been exactly what our D needed as I tried to tell many Cats fans at the time of the deal. His defensive liabilities are fine.
Well, you guys were up 6-0 going into the third, and allowed 6 goals to an inexperienced Devils team in one period. How many of those was Matheson on ice for? I haven’t checked but it would make sense to do that before being too sure about his prowess. He had a lot of late game letdowns on Panthers.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Well, you guys were up 6-0 going into the third, and allowed 6 goals to an inexperienced Devils team in one period. How many of those was Matheson on ice for? I haven’t checked but it would make sense to do that before being too sure about his prowess. He had a lot of late game letdowns on Panthers.
I believe 3 for and 1 against.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I get that he burned you guys. But, our defense has been excellent this year. Matheson isn’t relied on the same way he was in Florida here. The bizarre play is still
there at times and like @Chaos2k7 pointed out I’m scared as shit about what he’ll look like when he’s getting game planned against in a seven game series, but I think like you guys would probably do, I’d redo that trade every day of the week right now.

He is also on pace for career numbers at GF%, xG%, points, his lowest giveaways per 60 by a significant amount.

Contract is still horrendous, but PIT was desperate for a puck moving, high skill skater from the blue line. And our stars didn't mesh with Hornqvist so we didn't have the opportunity to use him how he is being used in Florida. Also, holy shit if Bennett reaches some of his potential, Huberdeau - Bennett - Hornqvist would be a powerhouse line.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I get that he burned you guys. But, our defense has been excellent this year. Matheson isn’t relied on the same way he was in Florida here. The bizarre play is still
there at times and like @Chaos2k7 pointed out I’m scared as shit about what he’ll look like when he’s getting game planned against in a seven game series, but I think like you guys would probably do, I’d redo that trade every day of the week right now.

He is also on pace for career numbers at GF%, xG%, points, his lowest giveaways per 60 by a significant amount.

Contract is still horrendous, but PIT was desperate for a puck moving, high skill skater from the blue line. And our stars didn't mesh with Hornqvist so we didn't have the opportunity to use him how he is being used in Florida. Also, holy shit if Bennett reaches some of his potential, Huberdeau - Bennett - Hornqvist would be a powerhouse line.
I don't know why you guys are so hostile. I'm glad Math is doing well and off in another division and I'm happy the Cats got Hornqvist back, he's been a massive boost for the dressing room. It's not like he's playing the Panthers every other week and rubbing their noses in it like Tro. Good for him, glad he found his game somewhere that won't bite the Cats *ba dum tiss* that often.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't know why you guys are so hostile. I'm glad Math is doing well and off in another division and I'm happy the Cats got Hornqvist back, he's been a massive boost for the dressing room. It's not like he's playing the Panthers every other week and rubbing their noses in it like Tro. Good for him, glad he found his game somewhere that won't bite the Cats *ba dum tiss* that often.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off hostile. I'm not at all. Big fan of the Cats since they got Trochek given the PIT connection. Just trying to elaborate on Matheson from our perspective since someone posted about him.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Fair enough. Maybe the change of scenery woke him up or he’s simply a better fit to a different system. Or maybe your D is (was, now that things are better) better and Math wasn’t expected to save the day every day.

I’m not going to argue the point, just pointing out that people here are probably surprised that PIT fans view it as a win-win...Hornquist was quite the big game player for your team too. But it’s better that Mike is viewed as a win there too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Fair enough. Maybe the change of scenery woke him up or he’s simply a better fit to a different system. Or maybe your D is (was, now that things are better) better and Math wasn’t expected to save the day every day.

I’m not going to argue the point, just pointing out that people here are probably surprised that PIT fans view it as a win-win...Hornquist was quite the big game player for your team too. But it’s better that Mike is viewed as a win there too.

The big issue with Hornqvist was for some reason him and Crosby no longer played together. Many assumed it was because of Crosby. Hornqvist was most successful when playing with Crosby here and once that partner ship dried up we were paying 5 mil for a guy who played PP and 3rd line minutes. Makes sense he looks great with Huberdeau.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Hopefully Math has finally taken Yoda’s advice.
He’ll be a solid player if so.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
And of course the coaching staff doesn't see anything wrong with Wilson's play. Bush league organization.

Reactions: IM Clutcm

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Refs are going to call anything remotely chippy. That's usually what happen after an incident like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->