OT: 2020-2021 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm watching the St. Cloud State game right now as Leafs draft pick Vietti Miettinen is making his debut. You guys have a good one in Sam Hentges. Nice skater. Attacking the net.
Hentges is a dark horse. I think he'll translate well to the AHL, but don't know about the NHL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get the Perbix's all mixed up. Hentges, too, for that matter. @LeafChief a Finn from our board was demanding that we take Mietinnen, insisting he was going to be a good one. We're pretty happy with our draft as is, but I'll be watching out for him.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Faber also an excellent penalty killer and is on the top PK unit with Staudacher. All four lines creating chances.

3-0 Gophers after 2.

Michigan loses 9-5 to Penn State.

3-1 Final. Spartans score late to make things interesting.

Last edited:

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
Wisconsin 3-1 over Ohio State final.
Minnesota up 2-1 over Michigan State after one. Myers and Luverne’s Jax Nelson for the maroon and gold.

Arizona State up 4-2 over Norte Dame after two. Sun Devils making noise this year.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
Minnesota up 3-2 after two. Michigan State playing much better tonight. Minnesota’s 4th line has been great all night. Munson, Perbix,and Nelson.

Notre Dame comes back to beat ASU 5-4.

Denver up 1-0 over the North Dakota in the second.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wisconsin 3-1 over Ohio State final.
Minnesota up 2-1 over Michigan State after one. Myers and Luverne’s Jax Nelson for the maroon and gold.

Arizona State up 4-2 over Norte Dame after two. Sun Devils making noise this year.
Wisconsin managed to win the game with 8-9 real forwards. They looked so gassed at the end of the game. Cameron Rowe (Fr.) made his first start and stopped 40 of 41 shots.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
LOL I can't believe this. Was checking the UM roster and what do I see? A St. Paul Johnson Govie, right there on the roster.

Carl Fish - Men's Hockey - University of Minnesota Athletics

Absolutely shocking. I watched this kid play in high school a few times. An inner city kid on the Gophers hockey roster...mark that down, because that is something you just don't see very often (Mike Lyons was a couple years older than me - he would have been the last Govie to skate for UM).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gophers don't have spectacular high end players, but just a whole bunch of above average players who can skate. They seem like a completely different bunch than what I've been used to seeing the past 5-8 years. Little of the excess puck handling, far better judgement, fewer mistakes. The Defense is interesting, and deep. They will take quite a hit if the WJC takes two or three D, though. Goaltending is outstanding.

Too bad the unSioux aren't on the schedule this year. Might be a great series.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordieGallant

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
LOL I can't believe this. Was checking the UM roster and what do I see? A St. Paul Johnson Govie, right there on the roster.

Carl Fish - Men's Hockey - University of Minnesota Athletics

Absolutely shocking. I watched this kid play in high school a few times. An inner city kid on the Gophers hockey roster...mark that down, because that is something you just don't see very often (Mike Lyons was a couple years older than me - he would have been the last Govie to skate for UM).
Add the fact he didn't decide to play at Hill Murray as so many on the east side of the metro do, make it more of a surprise.
Big kid who will be getting a lot of ice time while other d-men are at the World Juniors.

Gophers don't have spectacular high end players, but just a whole bunch of above average players who can skate. They seem like a completely different bunch than what I've been used to seeing the past 5-8 years. Little of the excess puck handling, far better judgement, fewer mistakes. The Defense is interesting, and deep. The will take quite a hit if the WJC takes two or three D, though. Goaltending is outstanding.

I agree. Not a lot of turnovers. Defense has done great job on retrievals. reversals, and getting the puck up the ice. The forwards are in position for break out passes. Forwards are getting the puck deep when they don't have numbers instead of turning it over at the offensive blue line.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm starting to become a Koster fan. I thought he might get crushed at higher levels, but his feet(and head?)are so good that he gets himself out of trouble. Have to watch more to see how smart he is. He will certainly get tested once the WJC team scoops 2-3 Dmen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gophers don't have spectacular high end players, but just a whole bunch of above average players who can skate. They seem like a completely different bunch than what I've been used to seeing the past 5-8 years. Little of the excess puck handling, far better judgement, fewer mistakes. The Defense is interesting, and deep. They will take quite a hit if the WJC takes two or three D, though. Goaltending is outstanding.

100%

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Add the fact he didn't decide to play at Hill Murray as so many on the east side of the metro do, make it more of a surprise.
Big kid who will be getting a lot of ice time while other d-men are at the World Juniors.

I agree. Not a lot of turnovers. Defense has done great job on retrievals. reversals, and getting the puck up the ice. The forwards are in position for break out passes. Forwards are getting the puck deep when they don't have numbers instead of turning it over at the offensive blue line.

I'm not entirely familiar with Fish's story (whether he spent his entire life on the East Side or not). I don't even entirely remember his game when I saw him at JHS. I think my dad remarked about him standing out.

Jay Dickman (the last JHS player to make D1) was a good player but he wasn't even from the East Side. I talked to his dad at a game once (his dad was the JHS athletic director for many years) and he said his son talked to Lechner about going to Hill and Lechner told him he straight up he would not play as a freshman...and so his dad told me he was shocked when his son chose Johnson over other schools (he was thinking about Totino as well).

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm starting to become a Koster fan. I thought he might get crushed at higher levels, but his feet(and head?)are so good that he gets himself out of trouble. Have to watch more to see how smart he is. He will certainly get tested once the WJC team scoops 2-3 Dmen.
The kid has some slick hands to go along with speed and smarts. Isn’t huge but is pretty good and luckily I got to skate vs him to really see the talent he possesses.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
UND wins a thriller over Denver 4-3 in overtime last night. Mr Clutch himself Kawaguchi scored the winner on a beauty of a goal. He seems a bit slow these first 2 games and hopefully that changes but the guy knows how to score the big goals

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
UND wins a thriller over Denver 4-3 in overtime last night. Mr Clutch himself Kawaguchi scored the winner on a beauty of a goal. He seems a bit slow these first 2 games and hopefully that changes but the guy knows how to score the big goals
Thinking of getting the NCHC Pod Package PPV. $44.99 for all the games between now and December 21st. Without high school hockey games until January I need some more hockey to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->